Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydraulic Lifter Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 12:56 PM
Robottom
Road Master
Received 138 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Hydraulic Lifter Question

2009 FXDF with 35K on the clock
I'm starting to hear some LOUDER ticking from the engine than what seems normal to me. Sounds like a lifter going flat maybe.
Pull the top end off, heads look good, pistons are super clean, and even still see some honing scoring marks in the cylinders.

But, I'm chasing what I think is lifter noise, so pull the lifters, they look good, no scoring on the sides, no flat spots on the rollers.

The service manual (2009 Dyna Service) Pg: 3-60 Item #5 under Cleaning and Inspection says:
"Inspect the lifter socket for signs of wear. Verify that the plunger of the hydraulic lifter is fully extended up against the C-clip. Use index finger to pump plunger to verify lifter operation."

The sockets look good and all 4 plungers are topped up against the C-clips but ... none of the plungers can be "pumped", especially not by finger.
I pressed pretty hard with the end of the push rod and no joy.

Am I being too literal here or should these plungers actually be fairly easy to pump?

Either all 4 are good and the service manual is completely understating the pressure it takes to pump them or all 4 are bad.
Any input from those with experience on this?

Thanks

Old 07-28-2018, 01:13 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,632 Likes on 1,177 Posts

Have a look around my website, sounds like it might be just what you need

John @ Rockout

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 07-28-2018, 02:03 PM
Robottom
Road Master

OK, for $17 and change, worth taking the chance, bought a set.

BUT I still would like to know if the lifters should compress under hand pressure.

Anyone tested this?

The following users liked this post:
ROCKOUT Rocker Products (07-28-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 02:07 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor

Thanks man

If I can answer any questions along the way please let me know.

As for the lifters.... I have never been able to compress mine by hand when filled with oil.

For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Old 07-28-2018, 07:52 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,814 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
As for the lifters.... I have never been able to compress mine by hand when filled with oil.
Which makes sense since typically you have to wait for the lifters to "Bleed Down" after initial install of the Rocker Arm Plate (or adjusting "Adjustable" pushrods) and that's with Valve Spring pressure ... which might be more than your hands

Old 07-28-2018, 08:42 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

There is a check valve in the lifter body that prevents rapid collapse of the plunger even with low/no oil pressure. Some bleed down (leak oil) on there own. Others don't. Some even have a controlled leak rate. Yours are tight (no leaks or bleed hole) so it will take a lot of pressure to force the oil out. My personal preference is to disassemble them when possible. The insides tend to pick up a fair amount of crud. If they are dry or nearly empty the plunger can be compressed by hand...just FYI. If you can id the check valve valve port, very often you can open the valve by pushing the ball in with a small firm tool such as an o-ring pick. Try to avoid steel picks to prevent damaging the valve. Failing that, you can slowly smash them in a vice or c clamp or similar. Use towels to protect them but those roller make it tough to keep them from tipping out.

Last edited by cggorman; 07-28-2018 at 08:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Robottom (07-28-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 10:55 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

I had a significant amount of cam chest noise as well, and since I've read in several spots now about HD lifters giving out at 65k+, I went ahead and got a Fuel Moto cam kit, revamped the valve train (springs were still good. ) .. noise went away.

The following 2 users liked this post by archergodwin:
mirrmu (07-29-2018), Robottom (07-28-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 11:53 PM
Robottom
Road Master

Originally Posted by cggorman
There is a check valve in the lifter body that prevents rapid collapse of the plunger even with low/no oil pressure. Some bleed down (leak oil) on there own. Others don't. Some even have a controlled leak rate. Yours are tight (no leaks or bleed hole) so it will take a lot of pressure to force the oil out. My personal preference is to disassemble them when possible. The insides tend to pick up a fair amount of crud. If they are dry or nearly empty the plunger can be compressed by hand...just FYI. If you can id the check valve valve port, very often you can open the valve by pushing the ball in with a small firm tool such as an o-ring pick. Try to avoid steel picks to prevent damaging the valve. Failing that, you can slowly smash them in a vice or c clamp or similar. Use towels to protect them but those roller make it tough to keep them from tipping out.
There is a small hole in the rod cup on top of the plunger and looks like what might be a ball in the bottom ... is that the check valve?
I pressed a small drift tool into that hole (very carefully) enough I thought to move a check ball, but no oil came out anywhere.

There's another hole on the side of each lifter but it doesn't look like a valve of any kind inside there.

I can definitely disassemble them but was worried if the spring inside is that strong that I can't depress it, I might not be able to get them back together.
It sounds like if I get them open, there's no oil to compress and I should be able to get them back together, is that correct?

Will look into the cam kit, good idea.

Last edited by Robottom; 07-29-2018 at 12:01 AM.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:20 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor

The spring inside is so weak you can easily depress the piston with no oil inside.

Old 07-29-2018, 08:48 AM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 405 Likes on 326 Posts

My guess is when the FSM says use finger pressure to check, means if you can compress it with your fingers it’s not working. Just my guess.

Quick Reply: Hydraulic Lifter Question