Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone installed the HD front turn signal relocation kit, 69433-08A?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 12:55 PM
tcatnat
Road Master
Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Has anyone installed the HD front turn signal relocation kit, 69433-08A?

Has anyone installed the HD front turn signal relocation kit, 69433-08A? I am looking to relocate my front turn signals to the fork and this is one of the options I'm considering. The reason I ask is that I took a quick look at the instructions that HD provides in the product info and the way it's written it looks pretty confusing. I could not find any videos specific to this kit either. Is it really that complicated? I typically do most of the work on my bike and I've done a stage 1 upgrade, as well as rear brakes, speedo/dash upgrade and all routine maintenance, etc. so I'm assuming I should be able to handle this. I have a 2010 FXDC.

Any feedback would be appreciated as well as other options in lieu of the HD brand. I'm looking to keep the OEM lights and just want to move them down.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...-11-6943308--1

Old 08-02-2018, 01:53 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,354 Likes on 2,371 Posts

Do you have enough wire from the light assy. to go down to the lower tree? Just read the instructions and just amazes me that HD is telling the owner to break the integrity of a wiring bundle and splicing the same. Print off the instruction from HD's website, buying parts for your bike. Don't know your skill maybe a friend can help out.

Old 08-02-2018, 03:08 PM
tcatnat
Road Master

There should be plenty of wire lengthwise but when I read the splicing part that's what threw me off. I've done this before when I spliced the wires on my TomTom cradle to connect it to the GPS plug on my Multistrada but those directions from HD seem very complicated for what I thought would be a simple job. That's why I tried to find a video and finally posted here to see if I am overcomplicating it.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:24 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,513 Likes on 2,134 Posts

I did this on two bikes, but both were canbus models, On those you had to cut and cap the sig wires from the handlebar switch packs, because there was no home run to the harness in the frame. As I recall the kit came with new, prewired reflectors and connectors. As long as the connectors are right, you can probably unplug you existing at the harness, cut or de pin the connector and either pull it out of the bars or just leave it. You’ll use the new reflectors in any case. It was pretty easy actually.

Its a pretty high quality piece of kit. I had one powercoated black since for some reason they don’t make a black kit... It’s on my Low Rider S right now.

edit: so I looked at the kit you listed and is the same as I used, so it does indeed come with the reflectors. E-Z!

Last edited by Mchad; 08-02-2018 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:38 PM
tcatnat
Road Master

^^Thanks for this. Did you really need to move the tank or could you get away with just removing the front bolt and lifting the front of the tank to get at the steering head? Here are the first few steps in the instructions:

1. Purge the high-pressure fuel line and disconnect the fuel line following the instructions in the appropriate service manual.
2. Remove the main fuse following the instructions in the appropriate service manual.
3. Remove the seat following the instructions in the appropriate service manual. Save all seat mounting hardware.
4. Remove the front and rear fuel tank mounting hardware following the instructions in the appropriate service manual. Move the fuel tank back on the frame to gain access to the tabs on the steering head harness shield.

Full instructions here: https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....1?locale=en_US

Old 08-02-2018, 04:48 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by tcatnat
^^Thanks for this. Did you really need to move the tank or could you get away with just removing the front bolt and lifting the front of the tank to get at the steering head? Here are the first few steps in the instructions:

1. Purge the high-pressure fuel line and disconnect the fuel line following the instructions in the appropriate service manual.
2. Remove the main fuse following the instructions in the appropriate service manual.
3. Remove the seat following the instructions in the appropriate service manual. Save all seat mounting hardware.
4. Remove the front and rear fuel tank mounting hardware following the instructions in the appropriate service manual. Move the fuel tank back on the frame to gain access to the tabs on the steering head harness shield.

Full instructions here: https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....1?locale=en_US
Oh I never even removed the front bolt. Not saying that that was the right way, but I was able to pull the cables out of the ports on the head no problem. Stuffing them back in can be a challenge, so cutting the wires to a reasonable length makes more sense then stuffing an extra two feet back down the harness channel. Popping off the plastic cover under the steering head can help as well.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:51 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Oh don’t forget you’ll need a crimper for the connectors... I bought this and it’s come in very handy over the years.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Mchad; 08-02-2018 at 04:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bl_dg (08-03-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 09:45 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

I did mine and if I remember correctly, I did not have to depop the plugs.. just unplug from the backbone harness.

Had to unbolt the tank and slide it back and up (as far as the cross over would let me) so I could access the plastic cover on the underside of the backbone, .... to access the plugs.. also pop out the rubber inserts on the frame by the neck. Not sure if the 2010 is like that... this was on a 2008.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:26 AM
billib1954
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 233 Posts

I bought the kit, started the install and decided it looked like ****. Check out the custom dynamics wrap arounds before you buy. Just my humble opinion.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:59 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by billib1954
I bought the kit, started the install and decided it looked like ****. Check out the custom dynamics wrap arounds before you buy. Just my humble opinion.
true, I had the kit for a year or two, and then swapped for the CD wraparounds, they are beautiful and bright as hell.

Quick Reply: Has anyone installed the HD front turn signal relocation kit, 69433-08A?