Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Post build Top end clatter.... can't fix it!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 01:03 PM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 105 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Post build Top end clatter.... can't fix it!!!

Long story short, 96 to 103 build. During which Rockouts installed and S&S adjustable pushrods, Fueling lifters, and S&S 583 cams.

I posted a while back that I had what I thought was a sticking lifter causing lash on a pushrod. At the time I pulled the lifter, cleaned re-primed it installed and all was good for a few days, then the Top end Clatter returned.

Since then (about 2 months ago) Ive pulled and cleaned all the lifters, checked and rechecked, then uninstalled and reinstalled the lifters and pushrods. Checked everything is tight in the rocker box. Camchest, chains and tensioners all checked as well, yet still the clatter persists.

At start up it sounds as it should, then progressively gets worse over 10 - 15 minutes to the point where I can here the clatter over the sound of my V&H pipes!!

There's nothing else I can identify in the valve train that can be adjusted or tweaked any more than has been done already.
The only thing I can think of is that maybe I have an oil pressure issue and there isn't enough oil getting to the top end??

Appreciate any insights!

'8s

Last edited by Krazy8s; 08-22-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:33 PM
fxrnutt
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Are you letting everything bleed down as you adjust the push rods?....on base circle too?

Old 08-22-2018, 01:34 PM
fxrnutt
Tourer

Are you letting everything bleed down as you adjust the push rods?....on base circle too? Maybe a bad lifter

Old 08-22-2018, 01:38 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,587 Likes on 3,833 Posts

You built it to run. Run it.

Old 08-22-2018, 04:15 PM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 105 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by fxrnutt
Are you letting everything bleed down as you adjust the push rods?....on base circle too?
Done 3 times now. Lifters primed, bled down on base circle etc as per install destructions.

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
You built it to run. Run it.
Have been running it, still running it in, just don't wanna have to rebuild it again....

Old 08-22-2018, 04:35 PM
AFDynaRider
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine is the same way. I never noticed it until I switched to a full face helmet. Without the wind noise I could hear the top end clatter plain as day over my short shots while riding. Then I started wearing ear plugs and all I can hear is the exhaust now.

I do worry about it sometimes when I hear it idle. But I have put 10,000 miles on it since then with no issues. I am going to inspect my cam chain tensioners this weekend. If they are good I'm not going to worry about it anymore.

Your situation is a little different since you just rebuilt it but it sounds like you covered all the bases and I'm sure you are more knowledgeable than I am about this stuff. It wouldn't hurt to check your oil pressure. Now I'm thinking I should do the same.

Old 08-22-2018, 04:46 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,587 Likes on 3,833 Posts

If it is the lifters, ask S&S how much lead they have above the base circle of the cam shaft. Then see if you can measure it in the motor.
I have had trouble with that twice because I rebuild junk as a hobby on the cheap.
I rebuilt my 4 cylinder Jeep , drivetrain and restored it for my granddaughter for a local college driver.
I checked everything very careful replacing all worn.
The cam measurements and bearing bores where in tolerance. So I used it as is. I did not check that lead ram since in needs to be in centers.
What that does is the lifters pump to no clearance on the base low point of the cam.
However, the valve when shut pushes harder then lifter can pump to insure valve is closed. This is the bleed off.
That slight ramp up before lift gives you quite operation. It is also a wear area on cam. If it's not there, you get chatter.
My Jeep has that chatter. I have no adjustment and I did farm out the valve grind. They got two of my stems 1/2 turn too much into lifter. These two are making too much clearance on two valves. Some people think going deeper into lifter helps but my experience is it needs to be what they design it for and no more.
i replaced the lifters but ran with valve cover off, two lifters act like they have about .012 play like solid lifters. Hurts nothing. I started to shim rocker fulcrum but shim was so small and I did not want to grind top of stem.
So it just sounds a little like a diesel.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 08-22-2018 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:27 PM
crusader1xxx
Road Master
Received 247 Likes on 194 Posts

Have you tried different oils and or different oil weights? My wife’s 103 was super noisy until I switched to Amsoil full synthetic....now it just purrs along....

Old 08-23-2018, 12:54 PM
brownie4412
HDF Community Team
Received 1,023 Likes on 594 Posts

I have feuling lifters and they are noisy. I've talked to a few "experts" about it and that's the general consensus. Similar to Wood cams, they're just loud. Maybe adjust your pushrods half a turn deeper.

Old 08-23-2018, 03:37 PM
fxrnutt
Tourer

Or maybe travel spacers in the lifters.
..tighten things up a bit

Quick Reply: Post build Top end clatter.... can't fix it!!!