Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes...check this out!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 03:48 PM
fatbob_jay
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brakes...check this out!

So, some of you may have seen some of my posts...for those that have not, I took a 2008 HD Dyna Fat Bob as a partial trade for another vehicle (my first "big" bike, coming from years of sport bikes) for about $3k trade value. After reading a LOT of posts on here, and being fairly mechanically inclined on everything from bicycles to big block crawler motors, decided to cancel my service appointment with the local Harley dealer and do it myself, I have never liked other people working on my stuff but being my first Harley I was intimidated a bit.

Here's the first thing I noticed when I rode this bike...the brakes SUCK!!! lol I just assumed that they felt so different than I was used to because this bike is at least twice as heavy as any I have riden in the past. Ok, the bikes brakes are great, the bikes previous owner just never bothered to check/change brake fluid that I can tell. Here are some pictures of what I am guessing 10 year old brake fluid looks like. It took 3 master cylinders full for the front to come out clean and the rear took 4...the rear fluid was black. Note that the pictures do not show the sludge that I had to clean out of the bottom of both front and rear master cylinders. And for anyone wondering like I was...the engine, primary and trans all are clean and full so they at least did that...

Here's some pictures for ya'll

The following 2 users liked this post by fatbob_jay:
JohnMn (08-29-2018), Monteman1971 (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 04:05 PM
craftkr
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry, I'm just impressed with the background and the mountains you get to ride daily!

And smart move on bleeding out all that crap, brake fluid is cheap! Flush often!

The following users liked this post:
fatbob_jay (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 04:05 PM
Monteman1971
Road Captain
Received 187 Likes on 125 Posts

Mines going on 10 years old...guess I should check that. I doubt the prior owner changed them.

Steve

Old 08-29-2018, 04:23 PM
crusader1xxx
Road Master
Received 247 Likes on 194 Posts

Very common area of neglect...even if the own was meticulous about changing the fluids, oil, trans & primary, they tend to forget about the brake fluid....

fatbob_jay (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 04:40 PM
fatbob_jay
Intermediate

Originally Posted by craftkr
Sorry, I'm just impressed with the background and the mountains you get to ride daily!

And smart move on bleeding out all that crap, brake fluid is cheap! Flush often!
It's nice out here until winter hits lol...

Originally Posted by Monteman1971
Mines going on 10 years old...guess I should check that. I doubt the prior owner changed them.

Steve
I'd be at least popping off the master cylinder cover and see what the fluid looks like. As soon as I opened it I knew exactly what was going on. It had water floating on the top of the "fluid" if you could call it that. Easiest way to do it, take some paper towels and soak the master cylinder dry with them and dispose of them correctly of course...then fill and bleed as normal until you get clean fluid. Front and rear took a bit but as you can see...they were BAD.

Originally Posted by crusader1xxx
Very common area of neglect...even if the own was meticulous about changing the fluids, oil, trans & primary, they tend to forget about the brake fluid....

I showed it to my brother, who still rides sport bikes. He has a 2008 Yamaha R1...thing is hands down the scariest bike I have ever been on. Anyway, he said he has never looked at his either but is going to now.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:07 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,428 Likes on 2,966 Posts

Wait until you see the fork oil....

Old 08-29-2018, 05:08 PM
fatbob_jay
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Wait until you see the fork oil....
lol...thanks for reminding me about that

Old 08-29-2018, 07:58 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Well done! Great post!!

fatbob_jay (08-29-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 01:24 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,663 Likes on 936 Posts

Is that orange juice? I guess it's really not just for breakfast anymore.

Old 09-01-2018, 06:24 PM
fatbob_jay
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bluesrider.df
Is that orange juice? I guess it's really not just for breakfast anymore.
LMAO...that is actually what the front looked like...didn't think about it at the time lol

Quick Reply: Brakes...check this out!