Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone try this fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 03:59 PM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,495 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Get it...There are a lot of children on here and tin men so deep, they set up senineros to sale there tin...
that’s a really impressive quote. That is really what I think!!

Old 09-02-2018, 04:08 PM
John CC
HDF Community Team
Received 826 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by firehawk6
I have NEVER had a fuel or fuel delivery problem in anything I've owned that uses or used plain old pump gasoline as a fuel. Apparently I'm doing something wrong, or that Stabil is a miracle elixir...
StaBil is a miracle elixer. However, I don't know how old your Lawn Boy, etc is. It could be they were built after the widespread introduction of ethanol in the fuel pipeline, or it could be they have been "updated" prior to you acquiring them.

I have the same chainsaw (and trimmer and tiller) I had in 1975. All of them and countless of my friends' equipment, have suffered failed fuel lines, carb floats, pump diaphragms, etc due to the detrimental effects of alcohols on older rubber parts.Updated parts have cured every one of them, but, absent the alcohol in the fuel, there would have been no problems in the first place.

Of course, with the chain saw, you never know it's got a problem until you really need it!

Last edited by John CC; 09-02-2018 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:22 PM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,495 Likes on 941 Posts

How many have picked up there weed wacker to find the rubber lines have turned to rubber goo! I have! I know a lot of muscle car owners, boat owners with ethanol problems. My fxr has never had a problem, same rubber fuel line and carb since 92. Go figure!

The following users liked this post:
carguy1959 (09-03-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 04:24 PM
Rees107
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I run 93 octane here if I am riding from here to there, but when I put it up for the winter, I use 90 octane with no corn crap in it. My bike runs great with 90 octane, just can't get it everywhere.

Old 09-02-2018, 04:27 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

This is also called "Recreational 90" or "Rec 90", and is sold nationwide for marine use. It's not easy to find at gas stations, but many marinas sell it. Marine applications are a bit more critical because boats often sit longer with partially filled tanks, and the ethanol in E10 absorbs atmospheric H2O, over time which can destroy, if used, in an older marine engine.

NB: Using E10 for general automotive use should not be a problem in anything less than 15+ years old. Keep your octane rating in the correct range and you're good to go,

One more thing: butanol. also from biologic sources, not a problem with octane or water retention...you'll see more of this as an alternative fuel in the near future.

Last edited by shorelasHD; 09-02-2018 at 04:37 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-02-2018, 08:20 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 575 Likes on 381 Posts

For fuel lines I buy a hose called "Barricade". Its impervious to alcohol etc. About 3 ft will easily do the cross over line and tank to carb. Genuine Auto parts will have it.

Old 09-02-2018, 08:41 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 899 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by aces&8s
For fuel lines I buy a hose called "Barricade". Its impervious to alcohol etc. About 3 ft will easily do the cross over line and tank to carb. Genuine Auto parts will have it.
Unfortunately, it seems that when this issue does present itself, the damage hits hardest with certain seals, o-rings, gaskets, etc... As those items deteriorate, they leave residue everywhere downstream...

Old 09-03-2018, 09:50 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,830 Posts

Tangentially...

Originally Posted by firehawk6
I have a Lawnboy mower...
2-Cycle (2-stroke) Lawnboy?

If so...

Last edited by multihdrdr; 09-03-2018 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:21 AM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,751 Likes on 3,039 Posts

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
Tangentially...

2-Cycle (2-stroke) Lawnboy?

If so...

Yep, an old 2 stroke Lawnboy, I bought it new sometime around '92-'93. I have done nothing to it other than replace the coil, clean the air filter, and give it a bath a few times. Hell I think it still has the original sparkplug in it. I have always made it a point in any 2 stroke engine I've owned to mix the oil a bit heavy, maybe an ounce or so. The thing just purrs away...

When I bought it there was a paper that came with it that stated, if I owned the mower for 25 years and it was still running, Lawnboy would give me a new mower. Sadly, that never happened since Lawnboy was gobbled up by Toro I believe. Today a Lawnboy is a Lawnboy in name only, heck I think the new one's have a 4 stroke engine on them.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:31 AM
tunafisher729
Cruiser
Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Ethanol fuel caused all kinds of havoc with the plastic tank on my Triumph Sprint. It expanded it soo much that I couldn’t get in back on after removing it. Ethanol free gas isn’t available near me. I should have taken peoples advice and sealed the tank before it became a problem, ended up being one of the main reasons I sold that bike.

Quick Reply: Anyone try this fuel?