Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires or Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 01:23 PM
FRANK121
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tires or Brakes?

New to the Forum, but I have had my 2012 Switchback for about 900 miles so far and I'm noticing a vibration/noise when braking/slowing down leaning into a corner? I do not notice the vibration at speeds or cruising? The bike has almost 11,000 miles. The tires look good, but I have read they could be the problem and now I'm concerned about the brake pads. The front brakes will make a slight noise when applied. This is my first Harley so not to sure if this is normal, but I assume not. Thanks in advance!

When slowing down with the front brake while entering a corner when I lean I hear a grinding like sound and you can feel it through the handlebars? I have checked and everything is tight and I have plenty of brake pads left? Cannot add picture?

Last edited by FRANK121; 10-01-2018 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Added pictures
Old 10-01-2018, 05:50 PM
Tall Timber
Road Warrior
Received 425 Likes on 259 Posts

I'd be changing tyres and spending some time with your brake callipers off, some brake clean and a small brush.

I ride in the rain quite a bit and a clean of the pads/calipers is monthly maintenance for me.

Old 10-01-2018, 06:17 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,616 Likes on 2,727 Posts

That grinding in a corner can be a wheel bearing. Look at the seals, see if one is partially dislodged, or grease or rust streaks coming out from the bearing. If you can lift the front wheel (pretty much means you have to have a jack), hand spin the wheel to see if there's brake drag or any roughness that could be a bearing. Vibration can come from neck bearings, too, but I doubt they'd make your grinding noise. Used to be the most common cause was the front tire, but now a lot of guys with later year Harleys are reporting bad wheel bearings, its worth checking out. Tire is annoying, wheel bearing can put you down. Unfortunately sometimes there's nothing to see for a bad tire, and sometimes you can't feel a bad bearing by spinning a wheel, have to take the wheel off, pop a seal and look inside, turn the inside race with a finger while the axle's out. That's worst case, often they let themselves be known, tires and bearings both, if you know what to look for.

Old 10-01-2018, 06:17 PM
Imold
another old guy

got a double post somehow

Old 10-01-2018, 06:37 PM
Dynaglide92
Road Master
Received 188 Likes on 136 Posts

Check tires for cupping check tire pressure get the front wheel off the ground and inspect wheel bearing. Replace pads and check rotor thickness. Also fallaway procedure should be checked at 10k. Also inspect the front motor mount as well they get damaged during oil changes by the old oil falling onto it when removing the oil filter

Old 10-01-2018, 07:45 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by FRANK121
New to the Forum, but I have had my 2012 Switchback for about 900 miles so far and I'm noticing a vibration/noise when braking/slowing down leaning into a corner? I do not notice the vibration at speeds or cruising? The bike has almost 11,000 miles. The tires look good, but I have read they could be the problem and now I'm concerned about the brake pads. The front brakes will make a slight noise when applied. This is my first Harley so not to sure if this is normal, but I assume not. Thanks in advance!

When slowing down with the front brake while entering a corner when I lean I hear a grinding like sound and you can feel it through the handlebars? I have checked and everything is tight and I have plenty of brake pads left? Cannot add picture?
FWIW don't use front brake in a curve use rear brake to shave a few off the top.

The following users liked this post:
Huggerbugger (10-07-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 07:40 AM
FRANK121
Novice

Update:
I went through and found both front lower motor mounts to be loose including the frame mount, also the exhaust mount was loose and checked the rear wheel drive and all were tight.
I have not had a chance to get the front wheel off yet or ride it but will report. THANKS!

Old 10-02-2018, 08:14 AM
Maclugie
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maintain your speed while leaning through the corner.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:25 AM
FRANK121
Novice

Originally Posted by Maclugie
Maintain your speed while leaning through the corner.
I guess I should be more clear, When slowing down to make a turn off a road and applying the brake while leaning the noise/vibration occurs. While cruising through the twisties I notice nothing.

Old 10-06-2018, 10:53 AM
Imold
another old guy

Find what caused it yet?

Quick Reply: Tires or Brakes?