Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob Upgrade Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 03:19 PM
Jed Clampett
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,048 Likes on 880 Posts

Originally Posted by Huggerbugger
What'd ya pay for it, Jed?
$6750. 50 bucks less than KBB trade in.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:58 AM
sparkalot
Road Warrior
Received 773 Likes on 346 Posts

First as others said, "The Fit"...so you are very comfortable with the reach for your feet and arms. Mine came with drag bars that fit me well, but I changed to forward controls, and changed foot system . It had pegs, changed to Mini Floorboards.
As Huggerbugger said " Just don't hang a bunch of crap on it. It's designed to be a nimble ride" I sometimes wish I had a "Bagger" but 99% of my riding is within 200 miles of home, and most of that is local. I trailer it hundreds of miles to get to a good desert or interstate ride though. I live near a popular Bike Riding mountain road (Mt Baldy) so there is nearby fun. Around here the "bagger" guys ride theirs just around town, but I do like the looks of some of those bikes, for sure

As far as priortiy after "The Fit", for me anyway, was changing the rear fender on my 2009 FatBob. Swapped it for a 2011 Wideglide fender. It is all about personal preference. There so many mods and parts available out there for all Harleys, it really is just a matter of what YOU want in looks or performance. My bike looks much different from when I bought it. The only thing I knew for sure before I bought it was that I wanted a FatBob. I changed the exhaust from Vance Hines Straight Big Shots to BR 2 into 1, just personal preference. LED conversion for all lamps was very satisfying. Mostly I changed the appearance. I am sure the former owner loved it the way it was as much as I do the way it is.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:20 AM
texuspete00
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sparkalot
First as others said, "The Fit"...so you are very comfortable with the reach for your feet and arms. Mine came with drag bars that fit me well, but I changed to forward controls, and changed foot system . It had pegs, changed to Mini Floorboards.
As Huggerbugger said " Just don't hang a bunch of crap on it. It's designed to be a nimble ride" I sometimes wish I had a "Bagger" but 99% of my riding is within 200 miles of home, and most of that is local. I trailer it hundreds of miles to get to a good desert or interstate ride though. I live near a popular Bike Riding mountain road (Mt Baldy) so there is nearby fun. Around here the "bagger" guys ride theirs just around town, but I do like the looks of some of those bikes, for sure

As far as priortiy after "The Fit", for me anyway, was changing the rear fender on my 2009 FatBob. Swapped it for a 2011 Wideglide fender. It is all about personal preference. There so many mods and parts available out there for all Harleys, it really is just a matter of what YOU want in looks or performance. My bike looks much different from when I bought it. The only thing I knew for sure before I bought it was that I wanted a FatBob. I changed the exhaust from Vance Hines Straight Big Shots to BR 2 into 1, just personal preference. LED conversion for all lamps was very satisfying. Mostly I changed the appearance. I am sure the former owner loved it the way it was as much as I do the way it is.
You got rid of that fairing? Do you want to sell it? I'm looking for same type of mods as OP, more comfort for potentially longer rides. I got sore in like 150 miles, which for someone in good shape just seems weird.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:21 AM
Rollcage
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Old 11-06-2018, 11:09 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts
Default fxdf

Done 30+ states and 6 provinces. Have tried all the FLH platforms and find them too pondorous. My 08 FXDF has a QD windshield, 1” lowered mids with highway pegs in custom engine guard, re-contoured HD solo seat, Saddleman sport bike tail bag and HD saddlebags. Perfect for me

Last edited by sharkey; 11-06-2018 at 12:08 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 11-06-2018, 02:51 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

FXDF solo

Old 11-06-2018, 10:11 PM
Carl '69
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 694 Likes on 338 Posts

If they'll fit with your exhaust, you should do the Switchback footboards. Hands down, the best thing I've done to my '02 FXD. Plenty of room to move around & stretch out & get comfy. I'm running crash bars as well & no desire to hang highway pegs on 'em, 'cos I just don't need 'em with the footboards. If yer wanting long haul comfort, they're the only way to fly.

Last edited by Carl '69; 11-06-2018 at 10:14 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:03 AM
Jed Clampett
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,048 Likes on 880 Posts

Originally Posted by Carl '69
If they'll fit with your exhaust, you should do the Switchback footboards. Hands down, the best thing I've done to my '02 FXD. Plenty of room to move around & stretch out & get comfy. I'm running crash bars as well & no desire to hang highway pegs on 'em, 'cos I just don't need 'em with the footboards. If yer wanting long haul comfort, they're the only way to fly.
Going to make the switch this week end, just received my floorboards and associated hardware yesterday.

Old 11-07-2018, 08:58 AM
Huggerbugger
Road Warrior
Received 354 Likes on 213 Posts

The polished aluminum valve covers are a pain to keep a shine on. Replace them with chrome or black and you'll save a lot of finger-busting polishing time.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:13 AM
Sisu
Road Captain
Received 131 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Huggerbugger
The polished aluminum valve covers are a pain to keep a shine on. Replace them with chrome or black and you'll save a lot of finger-busting polishing time.
I used a green scotch brite pad on mine for a matte finish. A quick wipe when I washed it and it was good to go.
I did go with black covers on my new engine.

Quick Reply: Fat Bob Upgrade Suggestions