Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob Upgrade Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 02:59 PM
bmtanner3
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fat Bob Upgrade Suggestions

Hey All,

Just purchased a 2009 Fat Bob and I’m lovin it! Came with a Stage 1 Kit and Python 2n1 pipes which makes it sound and ride like a dream. But, after taking a 5 hour trip to Vegas, realized I need some upgrades for longer road trips. Here’s what I’m thinking but I’d like some suggestions from the gang here. Let me know what my priorities for upgrades should be as well.

Here’s what I’m thinking:

Batwing Fairing - 5 hours of riding at 80-90 took a toll on my body.
Luggage Rack - rode with a pack on but would have been nice to take that weight off my shoulders.
Mustache Engine Guards - rode with my feet hanging to the side in the pegs but after some time, it got uncomfortable

Any suggestions as to priority, brand, or other upgrades appreciated. Thanks!

Old 11-03-2018, 06:31 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

quick disconnect windshield and quick disconnect luggage rack... that way you can still enjoy it around town

Old 11-04-2018, 07:36 PM
( . Y . )
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Longer trips?

A good seat would be a start (unless what it has on is a perfect fit for you and doesn't cause any issues).

If going for long hauls, I would then look at grips and pegs or boards to add more comfort. I have a mustache guard on my Fatty and at over 6' I rarely use it as a foot rest as it just isn't comfy for long (ok to stretch out on for a few seconds but otherwise it's just crash protection).

Batwing fairings work, but I would be looking at the primary comfort considerations before worrying about a little wind. Although, others have the Dougz or Memphis bullet fairings that get good reviews (I have a Dougz and
like it for keeping wind off my chest when it's cold).

Bottom line, check your ride fit; are you comfy with feet, hands and posture in the saddle? If not, change it up -taller/shorter bars, different seats etc).

Old 11-04-2018, 08:18 PM
bmtanner3
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ( . Y . )
Longer trips?

A good seat would be a start (unless what it has on is a perfect fit for you and doesn't cause any issues).

If going for long hauls, I would then look at grips and pegs or boards to add more comfort. I have a mustache guard on my Fatty and at over 6' I rarely use it as a foot rest as it just isn't comfy for long (ok to stretch out on for a few seconds but otherwise it's just crash protection).

Batwing fairings work, but I would be looking at the primary comfort considerations before worrying about a little wind. Although, others have the Dougz or Memphis bullet fairings that get good reviews (I have a Dougz and
like it for keeping wind off my chest when it's cold).

Bottom line, check your ride fit; are you comfy with feet, hands and posture in the saddle? If not, change it up -taller/shorter bars, different seats etc).
Actually, the seat and bar were perfect from my perspective. It was mainly me trying to get my legs comfortable and my upper body and shoulders aching from the constant fight against the wind. I think carrying a pack on my back contributed to the shoulders aching a bit. The rest of the upper body struggle I believe came from the wind. Therefore, I was thinking mustache or regular engine bars, a luggage rack and maybe a windshield or fairing would help.

Guessing from your post post you would do foot boards over engine guards? Really, I’m fine with the bike as is for everyday use - just need some ideas for the long trips that I want to take eventually.

Old 11-04-2018, 11:54 PM
Rollcage
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

My favorite upgrade has been led lights all the way around. This may not be specifically for longer trips, but my friends say I'm extremely more visible coming down the road.
no so much the headlights, but the white led inserts up front that flash yellow when signal is on.
Custom Dynamics it think, but don't quote me on that.

Old 11-05-2018, 12:25 AM
( . Y . )
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bmtanner3
Guessing from your post post you would do foot boards over engine guards? Really, I’m fine with the bike as is for everyday use - just need some ideas for the long trips that I want to take eventually.
Footboards will give you more flexibility in your posture. . . now if you had mid controls then that's a whole different look and set of ergos to work off of. In the event of mid controls I would go pegs and a mustache but that's just me. Additionally, if you are fighting against the wind, putting your feet further out on a mustache guard is going to adversely affect balance point.

Yeah, wearing a backpack doesn't help at all I definitely second the vote for luggage rack or even bags. A backpack shouldn't cause shoulder strain if you have good posture - more lower back issues would result from backpack, unless of course you hunched over like a mad bomber then you'll get your shoulder issues . . .

Bigger folks generally don't sweat the wind too much but one of my buddies who's only 5' something used to get real squirrelly riding in crosswinds until he installed a fairing (he's still a little B but just a little less so).

The Fat Bob, pre-2018, is designed around the average rider being about 5'8". When I got mine, I felt a little cramped to tell the truth. 18" apes, a seat that moved me back a little and mini floor boards got me into a sweet spot and honestly the best investment was a high quality seat. Wind never bothered me too much except at 85+ on the highway and that's when I love the fairing.

I second the vote for LED's and anything that makes you more visible. If I could, I'd strap a big glowing neon sign to my back as cagers be dangerous man.

Final vote would be to look at tires and suspension if you are really looking to improve the ride and tune it into you but that's a whole different thread leading to spending more money than you want/need to right now.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:29 AM
Huggerbugger
Road Warrior
Received 354 Likes on 213 Posts

I have the exact same bike. Got quick disconnect short windshield and small bags. Upgraded my bars with 6" pullback risers (for more upright seating position) and 1.25" drag bars. Also, upgraded the speedo to a digital tach/speedo unit that does everything but trim your mustache. S.E slipons, mini-floorboards and it couldn't be more comfortable. Just don't hang a bunch of crap on it. It's designed to be a nimble ride.

Old 11-05-2018, 12:02 PM
Sisu
Road Captain
Received 131 Likes on 90 Posts

I use my rear pegs when I'm on interstates and don't need to worry about a quick downshift..

Old 11-05-2018, 12:15 PM
Jed Clampett
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,030 Likes on 872 Posts

I bought a 2011 with 6k miles off of Craigslist a month or so ago. Found a really good deal. I've adapted a RK detachable windshield, added some Boss leather bags, and thinking of putting some floorboards on it. Lovin' it.

Old 11-05-2018, 02:04 PM
Huggerbugger
Road Warrior
Received 354 Likes on 213 Posts

What'd ya pay for it, Jed?

Quick Reply: Fat Bob Upgrade Suggestions