Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 HD FXD Super Glide Ignition Switch

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 02:56 PM
itsTHATnick
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 HD FXD Super Glide Ignition Switch

The torn up hammered lock that no longer functions
Hey. I was wondering if anybody could provide some sort of help for my current issue. Someone attempted to hammer in the lock for my ignition/fork lock and now a key will not turn it at all. I have been trying to figure out how to get the entire piece out but have been unsuccessful on the Headstock version of this. Everything I find either brushes over it with little instruction, or has to do completely with a touring style top locking mechanism. I am unable to take the barrel out so if that is necessary then I guess I am S.O.L. Anything you can offer will help at this point.

Thanks,
Nick

Last edited by itsTHATnick; 12-30-2018 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Added a picture of the damaged lock.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:30 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts

You access it from under the frame neck. There is a plastic piece covering it and can be accessed easier by lifting up the tank or removing it.

Old 12-30-2018, 04:40 PM
itsTHATnick
5th Gear

I got up into there, and I found the plastic retaining block that was right below the fork. It was flopping around in there but I could not get it out. It felt like it was still stuck on something.

Also, do you have any idea of what the actual barrel would be called or maybe a part number for it. I am afraid that barrel surround is going to get damaged when the lock gets drilled out.

Old 12-30-2018, 04:43 PM
fskitch
Road Master
Received 313 Likes on 160 Posts

Stick the ends of some needle nose pliers in 2 of the 4 holes in that switch and turn CLOCKWISE to back out that ring. Then push the switch through and access like misfitjason says above.

Old 12-30-2018, 04:45 PM
itsTHATnick
5th Gear

Yeah, I did that. It just felt like there was something inside of it that was still holding it somewhere. The whole thing did not just casually come out like I feel should have happened and I am wondering if that has to do with the vandals attempts at hammering that lock.

I disconnected the fuel line, unbolted the tank, backed it off about 4 inches, then pulled off the plastic cover, the front plastic clip, and spun that locking ring in. It was practically flopping around, but would not pass a certain point.

Last edited by itsTHATnick; 12-30-2018 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Added Filler
Old 12-30-2018, 05:16 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

Ignition switch part # 71559-06C $114.26 & retaining nut 71555-06 $4.31, you need to give your key code when ordering & I don't think you can order online as you need to show proof of ownership.

The following users liked this post:
itsTHATnick (12-30-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 05:24 PM
itsTHATnick
5th Gear

Originally Posted by DTTJGlide
Ignition switch part # 71559-06C $114.26 & retaining nut 71555-06 $4.31, you need to give your key code when ordering & I don't think you can order online as you need to show proof of ownership.
Thank you very much. Do you think it would be possible to just get that surround? Since the lock is already destroyed and I hated the location anyways, I was going to retrofit a dash ignition switch and just put a fork lock back in the headstock. My only concern is damage to that barrel surround.

Old 12-30-2018, 05:38 PM
fxdup
Road Warrior
Received 950 Likes on 605 Posts

Originally Posted by itsTHATnick
Thank you very much. Do you think it would be possible to just get that surround? Since the lock is already destroyed and I hated the location anyways, I was going to retrofit a dash ignition switch and just put a fork lock back in the headstock. My only concern is damage to that barrel surround.
Order a new lock assy with your key code but for a Wide Glide. Then move your ignition to the dash console.

The following users liked this post:
itsTHATnick (12-30-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 07:56 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts

In you picture you still have the ring on it (the thing with four circles). You have to unscrew that before wit will come out

Old 12-30-2018, 08:05 PM
itsTHATnick
5th Gear

Originally Posted by misfitJason
In you picture you still have the ring on it (the thing with four circles). You have to unscrew that before wit will come out
That ring does not come off. If you loosen it off of the ignition, then it tightens to the hole. If you tighten it to the ignition, then it loosens in the hole. I won't be able to remove it until the entire thing is out.

Quick Reply: 2009 HD FXD Super Glide Ignition Switch