Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bringing up the cool factor on my 99 Dyna Wide Glide FXDWG

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 11:36 AM
LuckyMojo
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Bringing up the cool factor on my 99 Dyna Wide Glide FXDWG

Hello Fellow Hellions,

I am looking to get some advice and input from the more first hand experienced among us about modding my 99 Dyna Wide Glide.

I fell out of love with the look of the bob tail rear fender. I am not sure if I would want to replace it with a modern Dyna rear fender (a bit basic for my tastes) or, if I would like to replace with a stretched low rear fender (I don't see these on Dynas, so I wonder if I am being custom or if there is just something I'm missing or don't know like fitment issues or the like). I don't know what would fit on either side of the spectrum, but I have heard there are kits to do the modern Dyna fender swap - I just haven't been able to find them.
Any pictures, links, first hand advice or experience you could give would be much appreciated.

I am contemplating a wider FRONT wheel and tire. I know the Wide Glide designation is considered a "convertible", so I would like to get info from people who have gone to a larger FRONT tire and wheel. I have heard horror stories from people who changed out the REAR wheel for the wide fat tire look, stating that the ride afterwards was harder to manage turns in and almost instantly regretted it and turned it back - but I have not been able to find much info on larger FRONT wheel conversion.
Again, any pictures, links, first hand advice or experience you could give would be much appreciated.

Just like most Harley's from that era, I have a chain tensioner issue. As long as she is upright (running) there is no sign of a problem. The minute she is running and leaned over on the kickstand - loud rattle from cam chest. Again, I've heard several different points of view and varying stories of people who have addressed this issue. Some replaced the plastic boot knowing that it was just a matter of time before they would have to do it again. I doubt I'd want to do that, as I don't like fixing the same problem twice or leaving my bike and myself vulnerable to a breakdown or catastrophic failure that has to do with oil pressure or plastic pieces sheering off and causing issues inside. I've heard good and bad stories about swapping out the cams - some where the cams that went in changed the ride so much it was like a completely different bike, and not in a good way. I live in the city and I don't do a lot of wide open riding all the time. The Dyna is already geared higher than any bike I've ever had, it took me a while to get comfortable riding it and honestly thats the reason the previous owner got rid of it - he got on it and it scared him so he never rode it again. This wasn't his only bike, he buys and sells - but he wanted no part of it after that.
Any links, first hand advice or experience anyone could give would be much appreciated.

Thats all I got for now - if you read this far you are amazing and would love to hear your input!

Thank you kindly,

Lucky Mojo

Old 02-02-2019, 11:45 AM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 615 Posts

Have a buddy with an older wife and he has a long tail dagger rear fender and extended dual disc front. Looks absolutely evil with either his 16in apes or the drag bars

The following users liked this post:
LuckyMojo (02-02-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 01:35 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,813 Posts

CG should be coming along to help you ... and that might include "Ridding" yourself of those over-rated fenders period

Oh and NO, "Wide Glide" is not considered a "Convertible"

LuckyMojo (02-02-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 01:42 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Not sure about the femder swap but anything is possible with the proper...motivation.

As for the wheels, maybe check out my build (link in Sig) I know it's long and missing some pics now but if you skip thru it until you see pics of forks and tires, you'll be close.

Common solutions for the cam tensioners are: cyco shoes, hydraulic upgrade, or gear drive conversion. Unless you really pile on the miles even the cyco shoes will last a long time. 30k miles wouldn't surprise me a bit. Maybe double that.

edit...the DWG isn't the best choice for a city bike. Long, low, and slow-turning. Relatively speaking. May need to adjust your expectations.

Last edited by cggorman; 02-02-2019 at 01:44 PM.
LuckyMojo (02-02-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 01:56 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,813 Posts

Here's your Era WG with a Superglide Rear Fender, but you'll probably need a Superglide Seat (depending what seat you have now)

Originally Posted by BiggCliff412
I put on 11" Tbar and V&H short shots. Awaiting Arlen Ness Big Sucker Stage 2 and throttle cables to arrive to finish it up. I wish there was a step up or lucky daves seat that fit old FXDWG

Last edited by multihdrdr; 02-02-2019 at 02:58 PM.
LuckyMojo (02-02-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 02:53 PM
LuckyMojo
4th Gear

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
CG should be coming along to help you ... and that might include "Ridding" yourself of those over-rated fenders period

Oh and NO, "Wide Glide" is not considered a "Convertible"

You are right. The Wide Glide is not considered the convertible. With the wide front forks it seems easy to convert the front tire to a wider tire with little modification other than just replacing it, which is probably where I was getting my wires crossed. Additionally, the 99' Wide Glide came with the "convertible" cruiser to solo parts (the older style plastic peg system for windshield, saddle bags, backrest and seat) that lets you "convert" it to the solo bike in (supposedly) under 3 minutes. So, as it is not THE Dyna Convertible, aspects of it can be considered convertible. Kind of a jargon gray area.

Old 02-02-2019, 04:07 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

I would upgrade to hydralic tensioner if you are planning to keep the bike for a long time.

I really like the looks of that rear fender, it is easy to clean it up in the back to give it a good clean look without spending much money. Can you post some pics of your bike?

If you just want it to look better or different I think less is more on that style bike. The more things you can take off or make smaller the better. It is amazing how much better a dyna can look just by taking off reflectors, belt guards, racks and those big *** 99 blinkers, over sized licence plate frames. Lower that sweet stock fender over the tire and get a nice led brake light under the fender and it is looking good!

Old 02-02-2019, 05:06 PM
Dyna100
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

I went to a 120 in the front. Very much improves the ride. I also think it improves the look. You will need a wider rim. I really doesn't fit completely under the fender, so it will toss up some road grime, but not too bad.

LuckyMojo (02-02-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 07:08 PM
Blue Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,013 Likes on 602 Posts

I Love my 120 70 21" Avon mounted to 3.25" rim

200mm rear did not adversely affect handling....save your breath No chicken strips here.

LuckyMojo (02-02-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 10:12 PM
LuckyMojo
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Blue Bob
I Love my 120 70 21" Avon mounted to 3.25" rim

200mm rear did not adversely affect handling....save your breath No chicken strips here.

Man, your ride is amazing! That thing looks sick! I like the bigger wheels, you definitely sold me. Was it a pain to do? Or, was it expensive to have done?

Quick Reply: Bringing up the cool factor on my 99 Dyna Wide Glide FXDWG