Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HarleyWashboy's Dual Disc Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 08:40 AM
Harleywashboy
Cruiser
Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

One of the things (or two of them technically) I got powder coated was the handlebar levers. I also received some PM grips for Christmas last year, so I took the time to install those too (installed, next to the HD grips that were on the bike originally). These were installed Wednesday night. The tire place called and gave me some lip service on how they were behind on work but they'd get done Thursday.

Old 03-29-2019, 08:48 AM
Harleywashboy
Cruiser

So Thursday came and at noon the tire place called and said the wheels were ready. I go to pick them up and of course they have like 3" long 90 degree bend valve stems installed. The kind you see on deep-well ATV/UTV rims. Of course I was not ok with that and refused to accept them. This led to the service manager getting smart with me and me being a straight dick right back. The summary of his choice of words: "Well I figured if you wanted something different, you would've dropped them off with the rims" and his other favorite, "I don't have the tools to work on Harley's". I demanded he show me one motorcycle in the building with those valve stems. Insanity. Yesterday I picked up the finished wheels and tires at around 5:30pm after supplying my own valve stems.

If you're ever in Cumming, GA, I can't NOT recommend RGR Motorsports enough. At least they installed the tires in the correct orientation.

Old 03-29-2019, 08:55 AM
Harleywashboy
Cruiser

Stayed up late last night getting everything bolted up and torqued down. Noticed a "gotya" opportunity I'd share. The rear wheel spacers are identical between the model years for the pulley side, but the brake caliper side is different.

The '07 axle is on top and the '14 axle is on bottom. I know they changed rear caliper design in like 08 or 09, so I wasn't totally surprised, but just for posterity's sake: If you have an 06 or 07, you need to reuse the brake caliper side spacer.

That aside, here's some more pics:

I still need to install the mufflers, bleed the brakes, and tighten down my clutch cable adjuster. That should happen at some point today.

Old 03-29-2019, 09:01 AM
spalko33
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

so much good information in this thread. awesome work, it looks and im sure it will perform great!

Old 03-29-2019, 11:49 AM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 4,753 Likes on 2,317 Posts

That looks really sharp! I think I personally like the look of the original black/silver wheels better, but otherwise, looks great.
Can't wait to hear how the dual disks perform.

Old 03-29-2019, 12:51 PM
Protocol
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Glad to know I'm not the only one who gets anti seize on his tires.

Old 03-29-2019, 02:24 PM
Harleywashboy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Protocol
Glad to know I'm not the only one who gets anti seize on his tires.
If only it was just the tires. I have an uncle who likes to say about anti-sieze: "be careful with getting that stuff on you, because it could follow you to the moon"

Old 03-29-2019, 02:26 PM
Harleywashboy
Cruiser

So rookie mistake of the year guys/girls. Struggling to get my brakes bled. I'm not pushing any air through the bleeders anymore, but the lever is still a little too mushy. Then i noticed fluid running from the banjo fittings. Yeah, totally forgot to tighten those down. I'm taking a break

Old 03-29-2019, 02:47 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Start it up before you install the mufflers. Just fpr kicks. They sound AMAZING with open stock headers. (IMHO)

Old 03-29-2019, 06:27 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by cggorman
Start it up before you install the mufflers. Just fpr kicks. They sound AMAZING with open stock headers. (IMHO)
I used to LOVE doing this with cars, anytime the back of the exhaust was off for any reason. '69 and '73 small block Camaros sounded like TransAm cars. 3.0 V6 Alfa sounded like half an F1 Ferrari... Subaru Brat... Well, not so much!

Quick Reply: HarleyWashboy's Dual Disc Conversion