Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air or gel seat pads or modify seat to put air or gel pad in it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 09:27 PM
TerryMcQ
Road Captain
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Air or gel seat pads or modify seat to put air or gel pad in it?

I have 2009 Low Rider with a Mustang seat I bought last year. I plan to make as many long trips as I can get away from work for until I die. Memorial Day weekend I rode over 12 hours on Saturday and again on Sunday. That seat was causing pain after about 4-5 hours. Short rest stops help but that takes away miles. I would appreciate any knowledge shared so I can spend good money for a pain free ride. I’ve seen some of the air and gel seat pads but I don’t know anything about which are the best. I have heard of modifying seats but I don’t know if an air or gel pad can be put in a Mustang seat and which is the best course of action. I would prefer the seat be built instead of putting an accessory pad on top but if the pad is the best option I’d do that. If I have to get the seat pad, I’d rather it be made to hold itself to the seat so it can’t blow off when I stop and get up. If a Mustang seat can be modified, I’d appreciate the contact info of someone who does this sort of work. Thanks in advance for all useful info.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:10 AM
HyperM3
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

How many hours of seat time total do you have on that Mustang seat? I love mine but it took a while to "break in" for absolute comfort. Once it did though, I had no problems riding 10 hours in a day. However, if that still isnt enough for you, I have read a lot of positive information on Airhawk seat pads, and they attach to the seat like you want so they dont blow away.

The following users liked this post:
TerryMcQ (05-30-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 09:13 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,790 Likes on 18,560 Posts

https://www.meancitycycles.com/

These guys have a good reputation and can help you make a decision ... I have no preference but have read much regarding gel seats and their adverse reactions to hot and cold temperatures

TerryMcQ (05-30-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 09:25 AM
TerryMcQ
Road Captain

HpyerM3, I'm sure I have a lot of hours but I can't even guess how many. I do know I've put over 18,000 miles on the seat.That should be broke in. I'm an old fart though, 58, and rode my first motorcycle September 2017 so I don't know to compare other seats from experience and my body has all ready been beat to **** by life so those could be factors in needing an air ride.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:27 AM
TerryMcQ
Road Captain

Uncle Larry, thanks for the info, I'll check them out.

Uncle Larry (05-30-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 10:22 AM
HyperM3
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryMcQ
HpyerM3, I'm sure I have a lot of hours but I can't even guess how many. I do know I've put over 18,000 miles on the seat.That should be broke in. I'm an old fart though, 58, and rode my first motorcycle September 2017 so I don't know to compare other seats from experience and my body has all ready been beat to **** by life so those could be factors in needing an air ride.
Fair enough but never too old to ride, good on you! Like I mentioned, check these out https://www.motorcycleid.com/airhawk/

TerryMcQ (05-30-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 10:36 AM
TerryMcQ
Road Captain

HyperM3, thanks again and I'm checking them out.

Old 05-30-2019, 12:27 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

When I ride 'cross country, I use an Airhawk pad. Infinately adjustable, and can take from bike to bike to bike to bike to bike...

TerryMcQ (05-30-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 12:28 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

When I ride 'cross country, I use an Airhawk pad. Infinately adjustable, and can take from bike to bike to bike to bike to bike...to bike!
That was weird...

Old 05-30-2019, 12:53 PM
TerryMcQ
Road Captain

NORTY FLATZ, does it hold itself to the seat with straps or do you have to worry about it blowing away when you get off?

Quick Reply: Air or gel seat pads or modify seat to put air or gel pad in it?