Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for chrome hand deflectors/wind guards

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 09:00 PM
TerryMcQ
Road Captain
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Looking for chrome hand deflectors/wind guards

Ive got 2009 Low Rider and wanting to ride in some of the colder weather and found i really need protection for at least hands and preferably knees from wind. So far i havent seen any hand guards/deflectors that jump out to catch my eye. I was envisioning something that looks sort of like the curved hand guard of a fancy sword, hopefully somebody on here had the same idea and found some choices for sale and can pass the contact information on. I would appreciate any help. Also, are there knee/leg wind deflectors that look good on Low Riders? Thanks for any help.

Old 12-15-2019, 08:03 AM
brownie4412
HDF Community Team
Received 1,021 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryMcQ
Ive got 2009 Low Rider and wanting to ride in some of the colder weather and found i really need protection for at least hands and preferably knees from wind. So far i havent seen any hand guards/deflectors that jump out to catch my eye. I was envisioning something that looks sort of like the curved hand guard of a fancy sword, hopefully somebody on here had the same idea and found some choices for sale and can pass the contact information on. I would appreciate any help. Also, are there knee/leg wind deflectors that look good on Low Riders? Thanks for any help.
my honest opinion? They don’t do much for wind protection. If it’s the look you’re after that’s one thing, but if keeping your hands warm is the goal have a look at good heated gloves.

Also there are a few companies that make lowers for the Dyna but they’d look silly without the whole fairing, if they’d work without it at all.

Last edited by brownie4412; 12-15-2019 at 08:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TerryMcQ (12-15-2019)
Old 12-15-2019, 09:14 AM
TerryMcQ
Road Captain

Thanks Brownie, I think you are right about the heated gloves. I think the cold hands is all from the cold grips. Might look at heated grips too. I have heated gear but it is a hassle for an old fart like me putting on all that wired gear and plugging yourself into the bike. Plus it puts my electric consumption over the bikes output when I also keep the phone charged t use for navigation and music through a Sena in my helmet. When I bought the heated Gerbing gear, they didn't have a compact battery to use to power all the heated gear but I will go back to look for that again. Do you know any online store that sells portable small battery for plugging in heated riding gear? I'm pretty sure they make it but not sure if technology has gotten small enough. The batteries were too big to carry on the bike when I bought the gear but that was before I could afford the saddlebags and when I got the saddlebags that made it so I couldn't afford to look for the battery again. I need to win the lottery.

Old 12-15-2019, 09:22 AM
brownie4412
HDF Community Team
Received 1,021 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryMcQ
Thanks Brownie, I think you are right about the heated gloves. I think the cold hands is all from the cold grips. Might look at heated grips too. I have heated gear but it is a hassle for an old fart like me putting on all that wired gear and plugging yourself into the bike. Plus it puts my electric consumption over the bikes output when I also keep the phone charged t use for navigation and music through a Sena in my helmet. When I bought the heated Gerbing gear, they didn't have a compact battery to use to power all the heated gear but I will go back to look for that again. Do you know any online store that sells portable small battery for plugging in heated riding gear? I'm pretty sure they make it but not sure if technology has gotten small enough. The batteries were too big to carry on the bike when I bought the gear but that was before I could afford the saddlebags and when I got the saddlebags that made it so I couldn't afford to look for the battery again. I need to win the lottery.
There are moderately priced battery powered gloves with good reviews all over Amazon. I would think that’s a good place to start. I love Amazon. I’ve had good luck with lots of stuff I’ve bought from them. The great thing is if you’re not happy with something you can usually always get your money back and try something else. I wear Kemimoto winter gloves currently and so far they’ve been good down to 18* mornings. After an hour I can just barely start to feel it in my fingertips. I would never travel in the cold with them but for $20 they do exactly what I need them to do.

Last edited by brownie4412; 12-15-2019 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:12 AM
TerryMcQ
Road Captain

I already have Gerbing gloves, socks, pants, jacket liner. I am comfortable without electric heated gear down to about 45 degrees but below that I found I need the electric when going more than 45 mph which starts as soon as I leave my driveway. I was hoping if I could block the wind from hands and knees, I could be comfortable down to about 35 degrees which I doubt I would want to go out in any lower temps just for fear of the unexpected ice patch turning up anywhere. I'm wondering how long a Gerbing (or similar compatible with Gerbing gear) battery pack would power the gear? They aren't open Sunday, I already tried asking them. I'd rather not kill my bike battery and have to buy new every year. The other option I have to research is upgrading my electrical system. I don't know if a better stator and rotor and regulator would be the way to go but I'm sure it too would be expensive.

Old 12-15-2019, 04:34 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,127 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by brownie4412
my honest opinion? They don’t do much for wind protection. If it’s the look you’re after that’s one thing, but if keeping your hands warm is the goal have a look at good heated gloves.

Also there are a few companies that make lowers for the Dyna but they’d look silly without the whole fairing, if they’d work without it at all.

I disagree,

I have them on my Sportster and they help a lot. With the wind deflectors and heated grips I can ride with summer weight vented gloves and my hands are comfy.

Mine are the Black Easy Brackets. but they also come in chrome.

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/212...e-hand-shields

TerryMcQ (12-15-2019)
Old 12-15-2019, 06:25 PM
TerryMcQ
Road Captain

I was looking at these but wanted chrome, not black.
https://www.motorcycleid.com/harley-...IaAkvTEALw_wcB

Old 12-16-2019, 11:21 AM
Cubby89
Tourer
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Not sure if they'd be the style you're looking for but search @d.c.r.mfg on instagram. Friend of mine who makes hand guards. Has the ability to customize with words on the front too. He's never done chrome to my knowledge, but I'm sure it's something he'd love to do if possible.

TerryMcQ (12-16-2019)
Old 12-16-2019, 11:32 AM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 4,753 Likes on 2,317 Posts

These (https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-10mm-Moto....c100005.m1851) look like the ones I got, but are quite a bit cheaper. They DO help with the wind. Before I got them, I was wanting to use my electric gloves at about 40*, but now I can hold off until temps are freezing (32*) or below before needing them. I tend to remove them in the summer, though, since I want the wind up my sleeves to keep cooler.
If you want chrome, I also found these (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-...fkAX32Y7z948_A). Either one should work, though.

TerryMcQ (12-16-2019)
Old 12-16-2019, 11:39 AM
merlin 2
Tourer

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

try national cycle they have some nice one's for a good price.

TerryMcQ (12-16-2019)

Quick Reply: Looking for chrome hand deflectors/wind guards