Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My version of a T-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 03:24 PM
Atch
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default My version of a T-Sport

The bike I have is a Dyna Convertible. According to old reviews of the T-Sport, Harley started with the Convertible to make a T-Sport. 28 degree neck, and long travel suspension.
Here are my Plans, and what I have already completed is where I will start
First, some background. I bought this unmolested bike in 03. It had 20,000 miles on it. At about 60,000 miles, I bought the Harley Low Rider conversion kit. (fork tubes, rear shocks, and the jiffy stand. I really liked the way this bike looked, but even with my 160 pounds riding solo, the ride kinda sucked, and I was REALLY getting tired of the ever-present "Brake Dive". The bike currently has 110,000 miles on it. These things needed checked anyhow, so why not build what I want....?????

1. Rebuild front forks using original parts. The original tubes, springs and damping rods are 1.25 inches longer than the Low Rider kit. Use RICOR Intiminators, and stock front springs. This has been completed. While things were apart, I drilled a hole in lower tree for a different headlight bucket, and repacked steering head bearings. These were replaced at 70,000 miles, and looked good. Bought the RICOR items based on reviews I read here.
2. Buy 13.5 inch rear shocks. I bought the Burly Brand 13.5 shocks. The red spring looks different for sure, but these shocks are made by Progressive. Swing Arm was checked while shocks were off. It has no binding, or side play.
3. Headlight bucket replacement, and LED headlight. Got the Harley bucket for the Daymaker headlight, and purchased the Wisamic headlight from Amazon. Read some very good reviews on this site about it....Thanks!!
4. Krator Fairing, and headlight relocation block. These are purchased, and ready to mock up.
This is where I am so far. When I get going on this in the near future, I hope to post some pics of the install of things. Will most likely have to fab a couple of things, but hey.......I enjoy doing this stuff. Hope to hear from a few of you....Thanks!!!

Old 02-26-2020, 03:47 PM
Bob_fxdb
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

I think you should put your money on proper suspensions. I would.

Old 02-26-2020, 04:53 PM
shiftace
Road Warrior
Received 711 Likes on 328 Posts

Any pics? I love convertibles, really great bikes in their own right. You’ll outgrow those Burlys quick if you are a spirited rider but they’ll do in a pinch. Brake upgrade should be in line, newer bagger brembos are a great and relatively inexpensive upgrade. I’d like to see the bike though, see how the lines look.

Old 02-26-2020, 05:34 PM
Atch
Advanced
The following 3 users liked this post by Atch:
BCMopar (02-27-2020), BelchFire (03-20-2020), Silentgreyfellow (02-27-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 05:35 PM
Bob_fxdb
Road Captain

Originally Posted by shiftace
Any pics? I love convertibles, really great bikes in their own right. You’ll outgrow those Burlys quick if you are a spirited rider but they’ll do in a pinch. Brake upgrade should be in line, newer bagger brembos are a great and relatively inexpensive upgrade. I’d like to see the bike though, see how the lines look.
Not to hijack this thread but are those bagger brakes really an upgrade? I know they’re brembos, but they’re not the best brembos out there. I would rather get some radial tokico brakes from a gixxer. Used ones you can get hella cheap and it’s proven upgrade. I know this, I’ve used it before I swapped them out with a proper brembo monoblock.

If you want a stock look, I rather keep the original than bagger brembos and get some top notch pads instead.

Last edited by Bob_fxdb; 02-26-2020 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:36 PM
Atch
Advanced

Just posted a pic.....I'm sure some tweaking will need to be done to the suspension after I start riding it again.......

Old 02-26-2020, 05:40 PM
Bob_fxdb
Road Captain

I recommend you to check out dyna_sore on Instagram. He got one of the cleanest fxdx out there, before he crashed it... clean and simple.

Old 02-26-2020, 05:52 PM
Atch
Advanced

The whole point of this exercise is to wind up with a cruiser that rides better.....On a budget. I do like to ride a bit "spirited" now and then. However, I realize this is a cruiser, and not a race bike.
By the way, the pic I posted is of the bike dressed up as a Low Rider.....

Old 02-26-2020, 06:08 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,814 Posts

Nice FXDS convertible ... If you get a chance, take that bag off and show Chris the mounting hole in the fender that ONLY "Convertibles" have

Touring/VRod Brembos are a Cheap Easy Upgrade for the 2000-05 Dynas (while also adding 11.8 rotors) mainly because they bolt up ... the 99-earlier bikes (like the 98-earlier bike Atch has)would need brackets... (I know pic was added after the shiftace post)

Last edited by multihdrdr; 02-26-2020 at 06:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
shiftace (02-27-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 08:13 PM
Bob_fxdb
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Atch
The whole point of this exercise is to wind up with a cruiser that rides better.....On a budget. I do like to ride a bit "spirited" now and then.
That’s what I thought I feel like good suspension setup is often overlooked on these kind of projects, unfortunately. Instead of burly shocks($300), I would pick drag specialties ($270) and for the springs patriot suspension genesis ($200) combined with a speed merchant pre loader adjusters ($160). Most store you can get 10%+ off. I would say $630 for this upgrade isn’t that bad! ($567 with 10%)

The ride would be so much better. Right?

Last edited by Bob_fxdb; 02-26-2020 at 08:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
shiftace (02-27-2020)

Quick Reply: My version of a T-Sport