Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 07:27 PM
nicker22
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stalling

any one have any ideas on what may be causing my bike to stall when I stop, rpms just drop. Bike runs great when cold and can ride for 20 minutes no issues then it all of the sudden will stall out when I get off the throttle when gearing down and stopping. I have to start the bike again but while starting it I have to give it throttle. Brand new air filter, factory air box. I did have a screaming eagle stage 1 on it but through that maybe was causing issues with air leak. but still doing with the factory box. I am lost .

Old 06-10-2021, 08:31 PM
02fx4dude
Road Master
Received 251 Likes on 130 Posts

If this is on a fuel injected bike teh idle air control (IAC) would be my first guess. Pull it out and see if it's gummed up with oil, check electrical connections, etc.

Old 06-10-2021, 08:34 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 972 Likes on 735 Posts

How about telling us what bike you're working on?

Old 06-10-2021, 09:48 PM
nicker22
Novice

sorry, its a 2012 Switchback. I will check that IAC the odd thing is that when the bike is cold its good. Anyway after I put in this post I went out and started to think what I changed on the bike. I added the Screaming Eagle, removed and rode and still same issue. I also added a FP3 fuel pak. So I removed that. Went for a good 15 minute ride and stopped and let the bike idle out of gear and it was all good. Normally it would have stalled out. I want to ride a few more times but my thoughts are it could be the FP3.. I will update after I get out again . Just wanted to update my findings.

Old 06-11-2021, 09:21 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,322 Likes on 5,680 Posts

Check your variable speed sensor. It probably has some sludge built up on it. Pull it out, clean it off and put it back in. If the problem continues try replacing it with a new one. Sometimes a cleaning isn't enough.

Old 06-15-2021, 07:47 AM
nicker22
Novice

Update - I cleaned the IAC it was dirty. Road the bike and it was good at first but then started again. Went for a 3 hour Ride on Saturday and oddly lit acted up but not as often and I found if I geared down and reeved the engine a little to get the rpms up if I noticed them dropping below 1000 it would idle up and be ok. I haven't had time to check the speed sensor yet but that is my next step.

Old 06-15-2021, 08:56 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by nicker22
Update - I cleaned the IAC it was dirty. Road the bike and it was good at first but then started again. Went for a 3 hour Ride on Saturday and oddly lit acted up but not as often and I found if I geared down and reeved the engine a little to get the rpms up if I noticed them dropping below 1000 it would idle up and be ok. I haven't had time to check the speed sensor yet but that is my next step.
The symptoms you describe are exactly what I experienced when my VSS was going bad. I'll bet you dollars to donuts that's what's wrong.

Old 06-15-2021, 09:14 AM
nicker22
Novice

Originally Posted by Bubba Zanetti
The symptoms you describe are exactly what I experienced when my VSS was going bad. I'll bet you dollars to donuts that's what's wrong.
so it would be best to just replace that vss

Old 06-15-2021, 10:22 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by nicker22
so it would be best to just replace that vss
I would try cleaning it first. When you pull it out you'll see a considerable layer of metal filings on it. Wipe them off and re-install it and see if the problem goes away. If it continues I would replace it. If I recall the sensor costs about $60 or $70.

Old 06-15-2021, 10:47 AM
nicker22
Novice

I will try that, thank you very much.

Quick Reply: Stalling