Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red LED on dash in the middle of riding

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2023, 10:10 AM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 4,753 Likes on 2,317 Posts
Default Red LED on dash in the middle of riding

I was riding the other day, enjoying the ride, when I look down at the dash, and noticed a red LED there. I thought it was the "security" LED, but when I got this bike, it didn't come with a fob, and I've never had to enter and PIN or code to get the bike started in the YEARS that I've had it. Plus, that LED has NEVER come on before, so this is kinda puzzling to me. When it happened, I was afraid that IF it WAS the "security" system, that when I got where I was going, I might not be able to start it again, without putting in some code, so I went back home instead. When I got there, and turned it off, I wanted to show my wife the red LED, but when I turned it back on, it came on, and then went off. Now, I'm REALLY puzzled!! Anyone have an idea of what's going on, or how I can find out? Thanks in advance.

Old 05-23-2023, 10:50 AM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,173 Likes on 3,523 Posts

Originally Posted by ABQ-Jammer
I was riding the other day, enjoying the ride, when I look down at the dash, and noticed a red LED there. I thought it was the "security" LED, but when I got this bike, it didn't come with a fob, and I've never had to enter and PIN or code to get the bike started in the YEARS that I've had it. Plus, that LED has NEVER come on before, so this is kinda puzzling to me. When it happened, I was afraid that IF it WAS the "security" system, that when I got where I was going, I might not be able to start it again, without putting in some code, so I went back home instead. When I got there, and turned it off, I wanted to show my wife the red LED, but when I turned it back on, it came on, and then went off. Now, I'm REALLY puzzled!! Anyone have an idea of what's going on, or how I can find out? Thanks in advance.
What bike is this?

Old 05-23-2023, 01:16 PM
TownesVanZandt
Cruiser
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

My manual just calls it the electrical systems lamp i believe. Could be a bulb out or maybe a brake switch is sticking. Maybe start there.

The following 2 users liked this post by TownesVanZandt:
ABQ-Jammer (05-24-2023), Campy Roadie (05-25-2023)
Old 05-24-2023, 08:16 AM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by strych9
What bike is this?
Sorry that I forgot to mention that.
'13 Dyna SuperGlide.

The following users liked this post:
strych9 (05-24-2023)
Old 05-24-2023, 08:22 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,748 Likes on 2,409 Posts

It is a system error I believe as opposed to an engine error.

Check for codes - https://www.fuelmotousa.com/p-29661-...ble-codes.html

Old 05-24-2023, 08:24 AM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by TownesVanZandt
My manual just calls it the electrical systems lamp i believe. Could be a bulb out or maybe a brake switch is sticking. Maybe start there.
Thanks! Since many HD bikes have issues with ground wires coming loose, I'll check that as well. Appreciate your help.

Old 05-24-2023, 08:28 AM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy
It is a system error I believe as opposed to an engine error.
Check for codes - https://www.fuelmotousa.com/p-29661-...ble-codes.html
I will check that. Thanks for the link!

Old 05-24-2023, 11:44 AM
shodown220
Road Warrior
Received 757 Likes on 404 Posts

I've seen it twice on my 2014, once was a burned out brake light bulb and once was because the brake light switch was stuck. Check bulbs first sometimes the vibrations can knocked those filaments loose where they make contact sometimes but not others.

The following 2 users liked this post by shodown220:
ABQ-Jammer (05-25-2023), Buster (08-07-2023)
Old 05-24-2023, 12:09 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,173 Likes on 3,523 Posts

Originally Posted by shodown220
I've seen it twice on my 2014, once was a burned out brake light bulb and once was because the brake light switch was stuck. Check bulbs first sometimes the vibrations can knocked those filaments loose where they make contact sometimes but not others.
This, and also if you have LED tail or signals, they can trigger a red light if they aren't operating properly. Had that happen on a Fat Boy I owned.

The following 2 users liked this post by strych9:
ABQ-Jammer (05-25-2023), Czracer (08-07-2023)
Old 05-25-2023, 08:27 AM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by shodown220
Thanks! And, that might be why, once I got home and was in the garage, stable, that the red light didn't come on again, after cooling off for a moment.
I'll check all the bulbs. I think I have LEDs in a few of them, but not all. Could that be a "canbus" thing, not liking the less resistance of the LEDs? It just seems weird that I haven't done anything to the bike in at least a year, except ride it and fill it with gas and check the tires and oil, and yet this has never come up or happened before.

Quick Reply: Red LED on dash in the middle of riding