Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying Street Bob with Lowered Rear End. Problems??

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 10:44 PM
Elginator
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Buying Street Bob with Lowered Rear End. Problems??

I'm about to buy a Street Bob from a private party. He installed HD shocks that lower the rear end by 1 inch. What effect does this have on handling?

Old 08-25-2007, 11:19 PM
devils haircut
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Buying Street Bob with Lowered Rear End. Problems??

I believe that kit only lowers bobs and lowriders 1/4 of an inch. It lowers super glides and customs one inch. I could be wrong but check the HD site.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:17 AM
Imjonesy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe that lowering the rear will slow the steering a bit, but I don't think that it is anything to worry about as lots of perople do it and I haven't read of any major side effects.

Imjonesy

Old 08-26-2007, 10:37 AM
soarer 1
Advanced

Has only the back been lowered? If handling is a worry, drop the forks thru the triple clamps a fraction.
This will compensate.
Effectively what the new shockers are, are Lowrider ones?? Am I correct people??
Or near enough anyway.
I wouldnt panic too much. Just buy it, and enjoy it.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:19 PM
Original Junior
Road Master

I"ll throw some more crap out that may make it even less clear. As I understand, if you have the HD lowering shocks, they do not actually lower the Bob or Lowrider at all since these are the same height as the stock ones (12 inchers). They will lower those Dyna models with taller shocks. A lot of guys looking to further lower bobs & lows usually go with an 11 incher or 11.5 incher shocks. Progressive is a popular brand.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:19 PM
Rebel78
Road Captain

It lowers the bob by 1/4 of an inch, no big deal dont worry.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:39 PM
Shasta69
Cruiser

Wife has a SB with 11" Progressives. Only concern was headlight adjustment nad the need to put a 2"x 4" under the rear tire to get the MC jack underneath.

Enjoy the ride... it's kick as*!

Old 08-26-2007, 07:49 PM
Elginator
Road Captain

Thanks guys. I'm not sure what he used, but I will find out. And he's including the stock shocks. He is an engineer sho seems to know what he is doing. The bike is definitely 1" lower than other Bobs I have sat on because my feet are flat on the pavement with this one. Picking up the bike Thursday or Friday. I will post photos.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:16 AM
joe297
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your sure your bike is 1" lower than other 'bobs it may be that the HD in your description stands for heavy duty rather than Harley Davidson. One of the major aftermarket manufacturers (Progressive) offers 2 versions of their shocks: normal and heavy duty. The heavy duty version is rated to carry more weight due to the stiffer springs.

A quick way to visually check if you have 11" shocks is to look at the rear tire while your bike is on the jiffy stand. Look at the top of the rear tire - do this from the side with the exhaust pipes. If you can't see any rubber tire between the fender and the chrome wheel you have 11" shocks. If you see about an inch of rubber tire than you have the optional Harley Shocks - these only lower the Street Bob about 1/4".

ORIGINAL: Elginator
Thanks guys. I'm not sure what he used, but I will find out. And he's including the stock shocks. He is an engineer sho seems to know what he is doing. The bike is definitely 1" lower than other Bobs I have sat on because my feet are flat on the pavement with this one. Picking up the bike Thursday or Friday. I will post photos.

Old 09-16-2007, 11:04 AM
Elginator
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: joe297

If your sure your bike is 1" lower than other 'bobs it may be that the HD in your description stands for heavy duty rather than Harley Davidson. One of the major aftermarket manufacturers (Progressive) offers 2 versions of their shocks: normal and heavy duty. The heavy duty version is rated to carry more weight due to the stiffer springs.

A quick way to visually check if you have 11" shocks is to look at the rear tire while your bike is on the jiffy stand. Look at the top of the rear tire - do this from the side with the exhaust pipes. If you can't see any rubber tire between the fender and the chrome wheel you have 11" shocks. If you see about an inch of rubber tire than you have the optional Harley Shocks - these only lower the Street Bob about 1/4".
In looking at how the fender covers the tire, I would have to say that there was minimal lowering - maybe none. The seller gave me the stock shocks which I guess I will sell. Fortunately, I paid an attractive price for the bike so I don't think he added the "mod" to the price. Thanks for your help on this.

And by the way, it handles like a dream.

Quick Reply: Buying Street Bob with Lowered Rear End. Problems??