Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 FXDB or New?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2024, 09:47 PM
downzero
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,917 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
I like the old Dyna bikes, and the 2016 would be my choice.... just not at 12K.... At $12K, it would have to be $3000 above "average" condition...

Year: 2016
Make: Harley-Davidson
Model: FXDB103 Dyna Street Bob
Model Type: Cruiser
Displacement: 1690
Cylinders: 2
VIN: G
Finance Advance: $7,980
MSRP: $13,699
Avg Retail: $8,750
Auction Wholesale $7,335
Clean Trade: $7,145
Fair Trade: $6,575

If they were willing to sell it at a reasonable price, I'd be all over it.....

But I am partial to a nice 2016 Dyna...

I had not realized prices had fallen that much!

You could say I'm also a fan of a good twin cam 103 FXDB

The following 2 users liked this post by downzero:
GreyHat (01-20-2024), hattitude (01-19-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 12:28 AM
Rusty Springs
Tourer
Received 419 Likes on 243 Posts

$12k out the door might be reasonable if the dealer put new tires on it, maybe a battery and serviced it. It's a Dyna, so look at the motor mounts and see if they'll replace them.

If you like the aftermarket parts that's a bonus, but they don't increase the bikes value. They'll try to sell you ESP (extended warranty) and those aftermarket parts may not be covered. I backed out on ESP when the guy said "any street legal Screamin Eagle part will be covered." If you need a solid warranty the new bike might be better for you.

I can't say what's right for you but ride them both. If you're interested in performance, what would it take to get the Twin cam 103 to where the 117 M8 already is? Do you like the vibrations from a rubber mounted Twin Cam Dyna or the smoother M8 Softail?

The following users liked this post:
GreyHat (01-20-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 12:33 AM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 5,578 Likes on 3,055 Posts

Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man
I don't know what it's worth but get something, put some cams in it and make it fast as greased lightning and ride around like a screaming maniac, that's what it's all about
This!

GreyHat (01-20-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 10:27 AM
GreyHat
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks everyone for the comments on this it really helps me get a better understanding of what I might want.

I'm between just getting the new M8 knowing its a new platform that is going to have growing aftermarket support, or the Dyna where I'm more than likely going to replace everything on it to what I'd like it to have including the motor to something like a 124.

Ultimately I have to ride both to decide. Is it worth it to buy a Dyna and drop another $10k into it and be at the price of a new M8, or buy the M8 and still put in a few $$$.

Old 01-20-2024, 12:36 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,474 Likes on 4,050 Posts

Originally Posted by GreyHat

Thanks everyone for the comments on this it really helps me get a better understanding of what I might want.

I'm between just getting the new M8 knowing its a new platform that is going to have growing aftermarket support, or the Dyna where I'm more than likely going to replace everything on it to what I'd like it to have including the motor to something like a 124.

Ultimately I have to ride both to decide. Is it worth it to buy a Dyna and drop another $10k into it and be at the price of a new M8, or buy the M8 and still put in a few $$$.

Only you can answer a "is it worth it" question based on your financial situation and performance goals...

Just FWIW...

I have the mod sickness......

I went with a 124" crate engine in my 2016 bagger, got 135HP & 151TQ... love it, no need for an M8 touring bike

I went 95" big bore kit w/headwork on my 2003 Heritage, love it and no need for an M8 monoshock softail for a fun bike.

On my 2001 FXSTS Springer w/carb, I just went Stage I, it's a cruiser, and quite peppy fop an 88" @ Stage I, I'm more than content with it. No need for an M8 cruising bike.

I have owned my 2016 Dyna Low Rider (103"HO OEM engine) for a year. So far, I just went Stage I. I don't know if it's gearing, the lower weight, or...??? This thing cruises at 80 MPH effortlessly... It is quicker than I could have imagined it would be @ Stage I... I am, so far, quite satisfied with it's performance..., maybe a bolt-in cam in it's future just for something to do, but I would be happy leaving it as is... and no need to look at an M8 bike to fit its riding niche..

My point is to test ride both bikes, and don't get hung up on engine displacement numbers, and/or the bragging rights game....

If you need the refinement, newer M8 bike for whatever reason... go for it. But don't assume you will need to highly customize a Twin Cam or "replace everything" before it will satisfy your needs rather than an M8...

IMHO.... Even with my mod sickness, if a bike feels good, performs well in the application I use it for, I will let that alone decide what mods I do... And contrary to the "newer is always better" crowd, and/or the Harley-Davidson marketing machine, it is perfectly OK to be satisfied with a Twin Cam, or even an EVO, if it fits your budget/performance goals...

Last edited by hattitude; 01-20-2024 at 12:40 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by hattitude:
GreyHat (01-20-2024), NorthWestern (01-20-2024), Redbeard (01-25-2024), Two Lane Tramp (01-26-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 01:04 PM
downzero
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,917 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by GreyHat

The good news for you is that there is no way in hell you'd get a 124 inch motor and supporting modifications for 10 grand, not to mention the cost of replacing anything else you want to make it your own. If that's the plan, you should be looking at the lightest bike you can find with the largest engine, and maybe a Harley-Davidson is not for you.

I'm not saying I wouldn't love to have a huge engine, in fact, I'd love to have 140+ inches NA in my touring bike. But if you're thinking a Dyna is going to be "fast" compared to a sport bike or something, an air cooled Harley-Davidson is not for you.

GreyHat (01-20-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 01:56 PM
GreyHat
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

@hattitude Solid points, thanks for the input!

@downzero Gotcha, I still have a lot more to understand in this world. I just looked up what the kit would be price wise from S&S and factored in some labor costs but not much else beyond that. My current bike weighs in at close to 500lbs ready to ride, and has roughly 110hp and 78 ft-lb of torque. In contrast, my first bike has been my favorite so far being 400lbs ready to ride, and only 50 ft-lb torque and 75hp which was a parallel twin. Ultimately, I would like a nice cruiser bike that is comfortable to ride compared to being hunched over the tank for my shoulders/neck and be fun to ride. No aspirations of racing the bike just want it to be able to fun and have some character.

Old 01-25-2024, 04:27 PM
Redbeard
Stellar HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by snake_eyes
It is, but it's my wife's bike. I've ridden it a handful of times and it's fast AF, but the ergonomics are all off for me. It is a beautiful bike though and it's amazing how far the MoCo has come in fit and finish, quality and design.
This has been my experience with every Softail I've ever ridden; no matter what seat or bars they have, I just can't get the "rider triangle" correct for me. I think it's because the Dyna frame has the seat "on" it and the Softail has the seat down "in" it.
Ride both and see what works for you.

Old 01-26-2024, 06:55 AM
Nailz
Tourer
Received 93 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
That's a Clean Ride hattitude!

hattitude (01-29-2024)
Old 01-26-2024, 12:44 PM
Two Lane Tramp
Road Master
Received 271 Likes on 161 Posts

I have not taken a test ride on the new soft tail so I cannot advise on that. I have however owned quite a few Dyna's and I am a huge fan. I currently own a 09 FXD that is bone stock and it's a blast. I have outgrown the custom bug and really enjoy a quiet, reliable bike. I have a touring bike with the 114 M8 motor and love it also. So, because this is going to be the next bike I look for, take a look at the 2007 FXDSE. easy to pull up on you tube. This bike (in my opinion only) is the ultimate Dyna. Most of them are sitting in some guys garage with almost no miles on them and I have seen them go for 10K. They have the 110 motor and chrome everywhere. They also sport the factory custom paint. Just sharing my day dream with you. Good luck

Redbeard (01-30-2024)

Quick Reply: 2016 FXDB or New?