Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stripped derby cover bolt

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 04:39 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by d_ross
....I guess I am going to need a in/lbs torque what? I have a ft/lbs socket wrench, but I am really not sure what I am looking for to get the derby cover on to spec....

Don
Bad luck on the last one, Don!

I always put a rag on the torx bolt head before I engage the torx bit into the bolt to tighten/loosen them.

I hope the attachment will help you out on the torque specs and sequence!

FXD2003Rider

Attached Thumbnails  stripped derby cover bolt-derby-cover-torque.jpg  
Old 11-15-2009, 05:22 PM
RonnR
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HOGRIDA_06
I used a 1/4" drill and drilled the head off mine. It's a pretty common problem. I replaced my derby cover bolts with 1/4-20 x 1" stainless steel socket head cap screws.
Same here, 1/4" drill bit, head came off, Cover then comes off and vise grips locked onto remaining stub and broke loose. stainless steel socket head cap Only way to go, However mine would not button up tight with the 1" screws I had to go with 7/8" screws, But what ever way works for you Get rid of any torq bolt that you can...

Old 11-15-2009, 05:41 PM
2XNightTrain
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sucks

I thought JEEPS only used those POS bolts??? That sucks!!!

Old 11-16-2009, 07:46 PM
d_ross
Intermediate

I have been using a lot of colorful words as I have dealt with this issue today... I knew when I started that this would be the thing that was going to caus eme problems. Torx screws and I have never got along too well.

I began my initial 1000 milr maintenance last night, did the oil and filter change and the tranny lube with no issues. I saved the primary for this morning figuring a good nights sleep might help with the torx screws. I went for a 15 mile ride to warm the motor up, came back and pulled the drain plug. The I began on the derby cover... with a lot of force on the first one I heard a 'POP' and knew I had either broken the screw or popped it loose... fortunately I popped it loose. Continued with #2, #3 and #4 no problem.... then the fun began. I felt a slip on #5 and that pretty much ruined it.

I was in denial for a good half hour as I played with it some more trying to get it to come loose. Then I hit the forum to get some ideas. This thread lead me to try the dremel solution first - I thought for sure it would work. I got a good groove and everything, but I really think this being on one of the bottom screws and the angle the bike rests makes this a challenge to get done this way. I must have tried for an hour and a half with no luck. Soooo... I am going to run up to harbor freight and get the screw extraction kit and hope to god that works. I will be so happy when this gets done. I went and bought some 1/4-20 allen heads to replace the torx with. Has anyone that did this had any trouble at all? I guess I am going to need a in/lbs torque what? I have a ft/lbs socket wrench, but I am really not sure what I am looking for to get the derby cover on to spec.

Don

UPDATE:
Well I got the screw extraction kit and when I got home it was a little late, so I gave it a go with the drill bit and it was not giving me instant gratification so I figured I had better wait. On top of that it seemed like the best way to use the extraction bit was to use a tap which I didn't have - I ended up goig up to AZ and picking one up so I would have it tonight.

I had to stop by my local HD stealer on the way home to return the awesome $24 oil filter socket which I found at AZ for $5. It was a fortunate visit though as I discussed with one of the guys in there my scenario, he said he would try using a center punch and a hammer to try to work the screw out. Since I had already carved a nice groove in the head with the dremel, I used a cold chisel and hammer...... after about 4 whacks at it, it turned. That turn could have brought a tear to a glass eye. I was soooo happy to have conquered the torx screw.

I replaced all torx with allen socket cap screws. Only prob is that I only had a metric allen socket set so I just tightened them down as best I could with a regular allen wrench and figure I will go get the right sockets so I can torque them to specs.

For anyone out there that has/had this problem just keep in mind you will get through it... it really had me upset to the point that I did not sleep well last night - silly I know, but some things just get to me like that.

Don

Old 11-16-2009, 08:12 PM
totalgearhead
Cruiser
Received 39 Likes on 6 Posts

a little help too late, when i faced this problem I removed all the screws and turned the whole cover as if it were the screw, it broke the last screw loose. Maybe it will help another in need.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:07 PM
FunkyNova66
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

UPDATE:
Well I got the screw extraction kit and when I got home it was a little late, so I gave it a go with the drill bit and it was not giving me instant gratification so I figured I had better wait. On top of that it seemed like the best way to use the extraction bit was to use a tap which I didn't have - I ended up goig up to AZ and picking one up so I would have it tonight.

I had to stop by my local HD stealer on the way home to return the awesome $24 oil filter socket which I found at AZ for $5. It was a fortunate visit though as I discussed with one of the guys in there my scenario, he said he would try using a center punch and a hammer to try to work the screw out. Since I had already carved a nice groove in the head with the dremel, I used a cold chisel and hammer...... after about 4 whacks at it, it turned. That turn could have brought a tear to a glass eye. I was soooo happy to have conquered the torx screw.

I replaced all torx with allen socket cap screws. Only prob is that I only had a metric allen socket set so I just tightened them down as best I could with a regular allen wrench and figure I will go get the right sockets so I can torque them to specs.

For anyone out there that has/had this problem just keep in mind you will get through it... it really had me upset to the point that I did not sleep well last night - silly I know, but some things just get to me like that.

Don
Glad you got it fixed Don! Welcome to the wonderful world of harleys where bolts strip and nothing is easy to get to.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:08 PM
d_ross
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FunkyNova66
Glad you got it fixed Don! Welcome to the wonderful world of harleys where bolts strip and nothing is easy to get to.
Thanks Dave!! I am learning slowly but surely... wouldn't have it any other way though! I figure I will eventually replace all of the torx with allens.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:24 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been there; done that; feel your pain. Those friggen torx heads suck big time. I wont duplicate the advice already posted; the posters have covered the topic but I will mention that heat is a good thing for loosening stuck bolts .....I forced a frozen one on my sporty and the threads came out with it...had to get the stealer to put a helicoil in the case to fix it; pain in the azz and $$$$$$

Old 11-17-2009, 09:57 AM
NOZEM
Road Warrior

I feel your pain!!
+1 for putting a rag on the torx head (FXD2003Rider) then tapping it in with a small hammer to get it nice and tight. Never had a problem again; I too learned the hard way. Why does MoCo continue to use these damn Torx......

Old 11-17-2009, 10:07 AM
russell6hp
Tourer

The Torx system is the most worthless in use today. I have stipped several (and the bits bend too!). I make it common practice to replace all of them as I take them out.

Quick Reply: stripped derby cover bolt