Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got me a 2002 Dyna and test drove 2007 Dyna and 2007 Nighster

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 06:55 PM
virtualmike13
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got me a 2002 Dyna and test drove 2007 Dyna and 2007 Nighster

This week has been great for me. I have been wanting a Harley for some time and last week I bought a 2002 Dyna FXDL with 27k miles. Looks and sound great! Pickup date will be next week. Here is a pic from the seller, I'll post a better one when I get the Low Rider to my place.

So anyway, I'm feeling anxious cause I didn't have my bike yet so I drove to the HD dealer in Simi Valley, CA. I knew that had a great selection of helmets (my current helmet doesn't fit right) and I also wanted a jacket. So what do I see when I pull up but a gaggle of bikes with signs proclaiming "Ride Day". I gave a yell as I pulled into the lot. Many riders with bikes greeted me. Rock music was playing. Free hot dogs and soft drinks were being consumed. Sale prices on riding accessories. And a sweet collection of 2007 HD bikes for my riding entertainment. I got out of my car with a grin from ear to ear. I quickly purchased a helmet and jacket. This by itself was more than enough, but more fun was to come.

Of course I had to get on some V-twins. My mission: test drive the 2007 Dyna Low Rider and a 2007 Sportster

I got to ride the 2007 Dyna Low Rider and man did it run great. The ride went on some back roads and then a freeway. A flick of the wrist made the engine respond quick and strong. Ride quality was very confortable, highway bumps were nicely smoothed out. Low center of gravity gave a secure ride sensation. Overall the bike was excellent IMHO.

Next I got to ride the 2007 Sportster model named the Nightster and the ride schedule was such that as soon as I pulled up and got off the Dyna, I walked over to the 1200 CC Sportster so the Dyna experience was fresh in my mind. Afterwards I realized the importance of comparing rides with the experience fresh in the mind (and on your ***) so performance and comfort can be compared accurately.

The 1200 CC Nightster has quick response to cracking the throttle, seemed a little quicker than the Dyna Low Rider but I do mean little. The difference is very minor. Of course these are stock bikes with EPA restricted air cleaners and pipes and we all know that replacing stock with after market will improve both bikes. Engine vibration was present but the rubber mount really does dampen it out so that the Sportster handlebar buzz that I used to get from my rigid mount Sporty was a thing of the past. I used to ride an Evolution Sportster (make about 1984) that was great fun to ride but buzzed quite a bit from the rigid mount.

I felt that the Dyna's power was effortless, never hurried, laid back but very powerful and with lots of low end torque. This made the Low Rider test more fun for me. The Nightster had to be running at higher RPM (which the Sportster is very willing to do) to get similar acceleration pull as the Dyna. So the Sportster engine ran at higher RPM compared to the Dynal Low Rider.

Comfortwise, the Nighster is a bit of an *** pounder. The solo seat with the stock shock settings gave me a ride that was not very confortable (putting it mildly!). The first thing I would do is replace that stock seat with some extra cush for the tush. All road bumps and the railway tracks were clearly experienced during the test.

And this was on the exact same road that I took the Dyna Low Rider on minutes before. My honest first reaction after getting off the Sportster was 'Thank God I got a Dyna and not a 1200 CC Sportster". Maybe my age (56) is showing but road comfort is appreciated now. I think for me that the Dyna Low Rider has a great combination of power, classic old school style with road comfort for many miles of riding.

Kudos to HD in Simi Valley for a great and fun ride day. And all this really drove home to me the importance of riding the bikes you are thinking about buying. These machines are expensive, your riding time is important and by doing comparison riding you can save money, time and have the best rides possible.

Nuff said.&n

Old 09-15-2007, 07:08 PM
flynavy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Got me a 2002 Dyna and test drove 2007 Dyna and 2007 Nighster

Your new ride looks sharp! Kudos.....
Your ride experiences at your dealer sound pretty typical of both models. I would have expected a "tad" more vibration from the Dyna actually....rubber mount also, but at 1585 cc vs. the barely 1200cc Nightster, a bit surprising that the Nightster had more vibes.

I feel for you though having to deal with the Cal emissions crap. That junk really challenges classic Harley performance.
Anyway...rest easy while you wait for your new ride, then just go ride the **** out of it!!!

Enjoy brother.....

Old 09-15-2007, 07:50 PM
hk_shooter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats on the new scooter. And not a bad job oftelling the story behind your experience. Ride Safe...

Old 09-15-2007, 07:55 PM
murphdog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate to rain on your parade, but the bike in the picture is a Super Glide, not a Low Rider. It's a nice looking bike, but if you bought a Low Rider you need to start asking some questions.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:37 PM
grizzly
Road Master

oops!

Thanks for the review, and sounds like you had a great day! I would be asking some querstions about the dyna you attached in the pic though...

Old 09-15-2007, 08:55 PM
itileman
Outstanding HDF Member

In case you're wondering, this is a 2002Dyna Low Rider and it's for sale on this site now:
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...01-19_0004.jpg
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...59-45_0002.jpg

The sig has it with all the bags.

Old 09-15-2007, 09:37 PM
virtualmike13
Intermediate

Yep, you're right it is a Super Glide. I looked at the 2002 Harley Davidson line and saw a Dyna with spoke wheels but did not notice the dashboard. The seller said it was an FXR but HD did not sell an FXR that year. I was looking to buy a Dyna at a great price and I got one now so I am very happy. Especially after seeing what the new HD Dyna's prices.

This will be my first big twin and first Dyna. My first HD was an Evo 883 Sportster with 4 speeds and chain drive. I enjoyed every mile I rode in that paint shaker and was depressed as hell when I had to sell it because of bad finances.

Making more money now so I can make up for lost time!

Old 09-15-2007, 09:43 PM
itileman
Outstanding HDF Member

Congrats on the new ride. If you're happy, that's what counts.
Ride safe.

Old 09-15-2007, 09:56 PM
virtualmike13
Intermediate

The Dyna's vibration seems like more of a rumble -low frequency and enough to let you know you are on a motorcycle. Actually feels enjoyable, comforting and not annoying.

The Sportster's vibration seemed to be happening at a higher frequency - higher frequency and like a buzz. Not as enjoyable.

Perhaps it has to do with engine mass and technical aspects of how the rubber mount grips the engine. It's very challenging to describe the riding experience accurately and even if you choose the right words the whole thing is so subjective you know someone will say "that's not what I experienced when I rode those bike".

And they would be right too. Otherwise we'd all be driving the same damn bike and that is very depressing!

I do remember test riding one of the new Triumph Bonnevill bikes in 2004. It looked absolutely gorgeous, but during the ride the monotonous " putt, putt, putt" from the well balanced vertical twin made me feel like I was riding a large lawnmower. That test ride was short and I knew that the Sportster, with all it's vibration, had got me good.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:22 PM
sgt joseph
Road Captain

Thanks for your opinions on the two bikes you got to ride.....very informative....And congrats on the bike you just purchased......nice lookin bike ! Enjoy yourself.

Quick Reply: Got me a 2002 Dyna and test drove 2007 Dyna and 2007 Nighster