Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna Oil Change Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 07:33 PM
YellowHawk
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Dyna Oil Change Questions

I just bought an 06 Dyna Super Glide FXDI a few weeks ago. I bought it used. It had about 1900 miles on it. I didn't get an owner's manual with the bike and it's my first HD. It has the TC88 engine. I need to know how to change the oil in the transmission, primary and engine. I don't know what kind of oil HD recommends, the capacity for the tranny, primary and engine or how to change it in the primary and tranny. My first bike was a Honda Shadow and I didn't have to do all of this. I intend to order the owner's manual but I thought I would ask on here first. I called the guy that owned it before me and he said he had the 1000 mile service done at a motorcycle shop by a certified HD mech. The place I bought the bike said they serviced it too but I don't know what they put in it. I didn't ask. I just thought it would be good to change all the fluids so I would know for sure it's been done and what is in there. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:42 PM
wkdavistx
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dyna Oil Change Questions

Here's my recommendation...
Buy the $60 service manual from the dealer (or anywhere you can find the HD service manual, no the Clymer manual).
Put AMSOIL full synthetic 20W50 in the crankcase, Redline Shockproof in the tranny and any decent dino oil in the primary. Get the capacities from the manual.
And ride on! [sm=biker2.gif]

Old 11-21-2007, 07:55 PM
Cornhusker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

2.5 qt's in the engine. 1 qt in tranny and 1 qt in the primary. A gasket kit is about $1.10 at the dealer. A Harley dealer will tell you to use their Dino 20W50 or Syn3 20W50 synthetic oil in the engine or all three holes. You can also use their Formula + in the trans and primary.

Oil is like women, we all like something a little different than the next guy. Pick what you like and go with it. I used regular dino oils for many, many years and never had a prob. Last two bikes I have gone with Synthetic oil of my choosing.

Get the engine to operating temp before changing the fluids.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:57 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,371 Likes on 2,378 Posts

one could try to give you all the information you asked for but the suggestion on the service manual from Harley Davidson would be the most accurate and best info you could get.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:59 PM
sargek
Road Warrior

Congrats on the new bike and yes, I'll echo everyone else: get a service manual! It pays for itself, believe me.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:06 PM
Frank Castle
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

Welcome Yellow Hawk, hope you enjoy the bike. Do a search on here on recomedations for the oils you are asking about as well as how and where to remove drain plugs / filters etc. Oh and like everybody said get the manual it is a lifesaver.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:36 PM
YellowHawk
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I will get the manual. I just wasn't planning on buying it just yet but I may have to.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:04 PM
Mr E
Tourer

ORIGINAL: YellowHawk

I will get the manual. I just wasn't planning on buying it just yet but I may have to.
You won't be sorry. It really is the best money you can spend on your bike.
and congrats on the new bike.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:36 PM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

This will help : Like said, get the manual . It is a must have .
https://www.hdforums.com/m_1687374/tm.htm

Old 11-21-2007, 11:59 PM
ronster
Road Master

welcome-yellowhawk, i have the same ride,vivid black, when you can pick up a manual, DO IT, until then if ya need some scanned pages from the manual, just give me a pm. 5k serivce just done and my bike has not seen the service dept. since it was put together and i picked it up.

Quick Reply: Dyna Oil Change Questions