Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

* HOW TO * under fifty bux *

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 06:30 AM
Bobbed Out
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i love this thread .. just what i needed. thanks for all the ideas.

question though...i took off my rear fender last night and the lights so i could paint them black. the rear is great because the lights have the nice connectors...but is there a way to get the front sigs off? i took apart the grips and it looked like they were soldered in???

thanks again for all the help!

Old 06-23-2009, 08:13 AM
Mk1Racer
Road Master

Originally Posted by Dawg Rider
Another tank lift (about 1.5" is what I was after)...really no different than some others that have been done, except that it takes even less work because I used two of these (the flat bracket part):
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/b...on/Dogs048.jpg

The holes are already there, so no drilling required, plus they are slotted a bit so you actually have some adjustability if you want it (I didn't as Iput them all the way down). I used short black hex type socket head cap screws with stainless nylon lock nuts. In this pic you can see the raw brackets when I put them on for a test run to see how it would look/work.
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/b...on/Dogs032.jpg

I took them off and ran down the street to an indy guy's shop that I know and used his bench grinder to round and smooth the edges (No shop equipment atmy daughter's house in town where I keep the bike). Then all it needed was some sanding and painting (I was already painting some other stuff). When I put them back on, I decided to go inside the tank tabs this time.The finished product ispretty much invisible, and feels very solid.Total cost wasless than $5 (since I had the paint already), it took very little time, and the grinder was the only thing Ineeded that wasn't in my truck tool box.
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/b...on/Dogs044.jpg
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/b.../Dogs046-1.jpg
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/b.../Dogs045-1.jpg

Finished product from a distance:

Gonna do this today! What an easy (and cheap) mod that looks great. I'll use the $$ I save to treat myself to some refreshment afterwards!

/edit/

Just got the prototype done w/ stuff I had laying around. Used a 3x3 corner brace and just cut each side off. Rounded them, painted them up (flat black), and installed them. Ended up being about 1 3/4" lift. Only issue I ran into is that the top triple hits the tank 'ears' at full lock. Easy remedy was a small piece of a 3M stick-on square on each side. Total cost: NADA!

I've got a friend that does powder coating, so I'll fab up a final set and have them powder coated and I'll install w/ all stainless hardware. I like the corner brace over the 'U' clamp strap as it's a bit beefier. Have to use the 'outside' method with it though.

I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!

Last edited by Mk1Racer; 06-23-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:51 PM
mud
muderator
Received 8,809 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobbed Out
i love this thread ..
just what i needed. thanks for all the ideas.

question though...i took off my rear fender last night and the lights so i could paint them black.
the rear is great because the lights have the nice connectors...
but is there a way to get the front sigs off?
i took apart the grips and it looked like they were soldered in???

thanks again for all the help!
Bob, the connectors are in the backbone.

have a look at this link.............................................. ......................

Last edited by mud; 01-27-2020 at 07:30 AM.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:52 PM
mud
muderator
Received 8,809 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Originally Posted by Mk1Racer
Gonna do this today!
What an easy (and cheap) mod that looks great.
I'll use the $$ I save to treat myself to some refreshment afterwards!

/edit/

Just got the prototype done w/ stuff I had laying around.
Used a 3x3 corner brace and just cut each side off.
Rounded them, painted them up (flat black), and installed them.
Ended up being about 1 3/4" lift.
Only issue I ran into is that the top triple hits the tank 'ears' at full lock.
Easy remedy was a small piece of a 3M stick-on square on each side. Total cost: NADA!

I've got a friend that does powder coating,
so I'll fab up a final set and have them powder coated
and I'll install w/ all stainless hardware.
I like the corner brace over the 'U' clamp strap as it's a bit beefier.
Have to use the 'outside' method with it though.

I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!

Good deal Racer.

Be nice to see some pix when you get a chance.

mud

Old 06-25-2009, 04:01 AM
m2kh8r
3rd Gear

So I'm not a fan of big pieces of plastic hanging off my bike. I went and got the turn signal module from HD... about $50 the rest was a little snip here a little snip there:

"But where do you put the lic. plate!?!?!?! I tried a couple different brackets. the last one Came off on the way to california. I was looking for my plate on the side of the road for 20min. or so. I went to Ace hardware in Victorville and what did i find? Hose clamps my friends:

put foam weather stripping on the plate so you dont scratch the strut

Old 06-25-2009, 08:17 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by m2kh8r
Hose clamps my friends:

put foam weather stripping on the plate so you dont scratch the strut
Good idea for an emergency, but here in NY (and most other states) they require a light for the plate and its also illegal to cover the plate with anything. The wife got an $85 ticket for having a clear plastic cover over her's. Putting hose clamps on over the numbers like that would have them breathing down your neck in heart beat.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:01 PM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

I don't get it, so you ride around with a chuck of all thread hanging out your pipe? are you just reaming out the baffles? and then remove

Old 06-29-2009, 10:47 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by INJEKTER
I don't get it, so you ride around with a chuck of all thread hanging out your pipe? are you just reaming out the baffles? and then remove
I think you need to be a little clearer about what your referring to.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:07 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6 Formula
If you have a preference on which wire goes to which cylinder, you can flip the input wiring to change the output.
Not sure about the new motors, but Evo plugs both fire at the same time.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:28 AM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

When I bough the QD backrest my wife insisted I also get the locking latch. That left me with an extra set. I bought a set of throw over bags last year for a trip but didn't like the idea of them ruining the paint. I went to Home Depot and bought a piece of 1 1/2 wide strap steel. I drilled the holes at the appropriate distance and notched them so they drop on the docking hardware. I had to add a tab on the top to mount the latch to. I also bough some 1/4" rod and four extra long 5/16" nuts, bent the rod and welded it to the nuts.

I used bolts to attach the bags to the bracket from the inside. I still need to get some fender washers so the bolts won't pull throught the leather.

Still need to clean and paint this but so far it looks like it will work. I plan on drilling my backrest side plates so I can hang the bags on that as well, that way my wife can bring her purse and whatever else when she does ride.

Not including the bags I may have $20 into this.

Quick Reply: * HOW TO * under fifty bux *