Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DO YOU FEEL I ADVERTISE??!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 01:28 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default DO YOU FEEL I ADVERTISE??!!!

I was just informed by an administrator that my sig and info had to be removed due to me not paying the sponsership fee... My company is way to small to afford that... i just wanted to say i am sorry if it came across as me advertising! I felt i just let people know about what they could expect price wise on certain things... i have donated to the site before... after over a year i can not belive they pulled it.. what do you guys think... was i taking advantage of the site??? To be honest i have never charged a member of HD forums for ANYTHING! Lite Em Up only started cause i was doing work on peoples bikes and the only way i could get insurance to work out of my garage was to get a busn liscense... I feel bad for the members that made me my sig and avitar... plus i do not have any other copies! kind of sad...

Old 12-20-2007, 05:53 AM
matkiwi
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: DO YOU FEEL I ADVERTISE??!!!

sorry joe ... I didn't feel you advertised ... it was useful to know what you did but unless I lived in chicago it was no use to me apart from free advice ... even private PMs from you did not push your business
I guess the flip side is they are running a business that relies on internet advertising and if you were allowed to display then someone else could too who were more interested in using the site as free advertising ... you just got caught by their rules but they have to draw the line somewhere.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:32 AM
kpreese
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Joe,
It does seem cheesy, but this is one of those things where I make myself take a deep breath and think about "why". So here's what struck me .. . It could be that you were allowed to run with it for a while because the mods that saw it didn't think much of it either BUT perhaps a paying sponsor complained. If I paid, I might possibly complain, who knows? I'm not in that situation so I'm not sure what I would do. But thatwouldput them in a weird spot. Their agreement with paying sponsors probably is specific about forum rules to protect what they are paying for. It makes sense that they might nottell you this is what happened because they wouldn't want to make one of their sponsors look like a whiner.

I'm not saying that this is what happened, just saying something that at first seems kind of silly and petty, all thesudden itmakes perfect sense. There are probably some other reasons or scenarios that make sense and are "fair" as well. Bottom line is . . . don't take it personally because it isn't personal and I bet there is a legit reason for it. Like Matkiwi said, they have to protect their business (makes this more of a judgement call), but they do already have obligations to existing advertisers too (makes this issue more clear cut).

Do they have a "sig-only sponsor" program or something cheaper than "featured sponsor"???

Kevin

Old 12-20-2007, 07:45 AM
paulie
Intermediate

Joe

Not mentioning any names here but there is a magazine editor in chief here on the forum that has 4 links to his mag in his signature, and posts with the name of his mag in just about every post. To me it looks like an advertisement every time he posts.

I think if one can do it then all should be able to do it but that's just my opinion.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:54 AM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Paulie, I'm pretty sure this person you speak of is listed in the sponsor section.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:00 AM
itileman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can see management's point. What's to keep me from selling Amway, Amsoil, Snakeoil, or anything else via my sig? This site could turn into a flea market in a flash.
Sorry to see it go, but if I were a paying sponsor, I'd be ticked.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:06 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I see management's point of view also..... but, then I see this posted:

I Pm`ed Terry1955 about where to put this and he suggested I put it here. I recently lost my job as a dealer tech because business was slow and I was low man on the pole. I`m planning to open my own shop when the work picks up and I`m trying to build a customr base. Below is my ad from craigslist that I cut/pasted. I am in the Sacramento Ca area.

I am a dealer trained Harley Davidson mechanic. I can work on any Harley Davidson big twin and sportster motorcycle from 2000 to current models. I can perform regular services like the 1k, 5, 10k, 20k, performance engine work, transmission repairs and rebuilds,chrome frontends and other accesories including custom handlebars,braided cables,chrome inner primarys and more. I can offer dealer quality work at half of the dealer price and I warranty my work. My rate is $45 per hour with a $20 minimum charge. I am available to take on work right now with a quick turn around. Contact me with any questions or to schedule a appointment.

now, I real sorry this guy lost his job - I really am.... but isn't this a form of advertising too?

maybe we need another "sponsor" level and it's own section..... you know, something for the little guy just trying to make it. after re-reading my post, I guess it would be hard to police.... we'd get some major company trying to post on it, and how would the admin know who was too big to post on it?

Terry1955???? care to comment?

Old 12-20-2007, 09:20 AM
OSP1340
Cruiser

I never felt you advertised. I don't remember seeing anything you posted telling guys "call me and I give you a price"

I am SR staff on another board and know about board politics with sponsors.
At the same time I have been asked to remove my link to that site on boards before even though it was not related. (gun board)

I think as long as you were not soliciting your services over the sponsors it shouldn't matter but I'm just a lonely member.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:28 AM
paulie
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: HOGRIDA_06

Paulie, I'm pretty sure this person you speak of is listed in the sponsor section.
Maybe you could point me to it then, I've looked and there is no ad for his magazine in that section that would suggest that he is a sponsor.

My point is why should this be allowed to advertise ones business in just about every post that is made mentioning the name of his mag if everyone can't do it unless you are a sponsor here.

We would all like free advertising but then the sites wouldn't run without income.

This is what keeps a site running is income from sponsors.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:32 AM
07fxdwg
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see where it hurt anything or anyone. I had to ask him to send it to me because I never paid any attention to it before. I only remember the picture because I checked out the chick on it.

Quick Reply: DO YOU FEEL I ADVERTISE??!!!