Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob bulb upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 01:24 AM
twowheeledfish
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fat Bob bulb upgrade?

Does anybody know what bulb an '08 Fat Bob uses in that twin headlamp? I know most of the '08s are using a H7. I looked up the part numbers in my service manual and realized the Fat Bob uses a different bulb. I'm looking for a brighter aftermarket bulb to replace them... not that it needs it, I just like having all the light I can.

Cheers,
fish

Old 12-21-2007, 10:50 AM
Reverend
Tourer
Default RE: Fat Bob bulb upgrade?

If you live Stateside, you've got a twin light setup all the time, whereas over here in the UK we've apparently got to put up with only one bulb lit at a time. Now, I haven't collected my Fatso yet as it's cr*p weather & salt city at present, but I sure as Hell don't want to run around with only one side lit.

H7 bulbs are a dual filament bulb which, in the UK at least, is rated as a standard 55/60 Watt power. My guess is that if both of the US bulbs are on together, then they would most likelybe an H7 fitting. To get a brighter light, it's worth looking at a different 'colour temperature' bulb which runs at the same power output, rather than simply getting a higher powered Halogen one.

Try looking around the PIAA bulbs and see if one would suffice.

Without having the 'Bob in my garage I can't be more specific yet, but from the 1st March watch this space!

Howzat?

Old 12-22-2007, 03:02 AM
twowheeledfish
Stage II

Yes, I'm in N. California in fact. The weather here hasn't been much better lately. Four days of solid rain, Sun-Wed. The Fat Bob most definitely does not run a H7 bulb. I've looked at the diagrams and double-checked the part numbers in my service manual. They are indeed using something different. It looks like some sort of H5 variant. Of course, the manual does not state what the bulb is, rather it only lists a HD part number. I think I'm gonna have to pull the headlight assembly apart to access the bulbs and take one down to a local autoparts store to see what matches. The headlight works rather well stock, better than my last BMW and more in line with my old 2001 GSX-R twin bulb setup. I just find the cooler temp bulbs to be both better for lighting the roadway, and more conspicuous to oncoming traffic than the yellow, sodium-looking stockers.

I've read recently about Euro law requiring only one bulb to be illuminated. The wiring diagram shows an additional orange/white wire leading to a "position lamp" on HDI models (international models) only. The other three wires leading to the headlamp are white (high beam), yellow (low beam) and black (ground). All positive wires are running to a 38 ampere fuse... probably ample to hijack power from the yellow and white leads to run both lamps on HDI models.

Cheers,
fish

Old 01-14-2008, 06:48 PM
stagolee
Road Master

Any final word on the bulb type for Fat Bob headlights?

Thanks.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:09 PM
617south
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bulb type is H13 some newer fords use this type of bulb. Im looking at this type silver star sylvania ultra newer than the old silver stars. Go on their web sight check them out same wattage but brighter. Their is a brand called nitto I think that has higher wattage bulbs but I'm not sure if the lamps would get to hot and melt wiring I did that on my silverado.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:58 PM
ozsportster
Advanced

2008 Service manual lists HD Part Number 69838-08 by 2 for US Bulbs with a current draw (amperage) of 5.04/4.58.
Here in Australia we have the international model with one light for low and one for high. Looks stupid.
Hope it helps.
Tony

[IMG]local://upfiles/29820/FB62BB1FEC6949429E6B1E64E7FCC420.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-15-2008, 11:07 AM
stagolee
Road Master

ORIGINAL: BOSTONFATBOB

The bulb type is H13...
Thanks!

Old 01-15-2008, 02:08 PM
Steve Zodiac
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to be carefull. I fitted a higher wattage bulb to a bike I had a few years ago and the heat melted the connector and took the coating off the reflector.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:36 PM
Reverend
Tourer

Oh Dear.......not looking too good;

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/H13.asp

Hmmmm. Thinking caps on, guys.[sm=confused06.gif]

Old 01-15-2008, 04:50 PM
stagolee
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Steve Zodiac

You have to be carefull. I fitted a higher wattage bulb to a bike I had a few years ago and the heat melted the connector and took the coating off the reflector.
Hmm... Okay, I'll take your lesson as my own and wait until an "official" aftermarket bulb is named.

Quick Reply: Fat Bob bulb upgrade?