Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A landmark day in my life - Fairly long and Sappy

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 05:52 PM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A landmark day in my life - Fairly long and Sappy

My son is 24 years old and has been stationed in California at Camp Pendleton for the past five years serving the the United States Marine Corp. Spending the later part of his teenage years as an unmotivated boy, he has turned into a fine young man. Two tours in Iraq have matured him in manner which has earned my utmost respect.

His five year commitment was scheduled to come to an end in March 2008. This excited me greatly tobe able to look forward to having him home back in Virginia. A couple weeks ago, he busted my bubble informing me he was re-enlisting for another four years. My sudden disappointment turned to joy as he explained he was being assigned to a non-deployable unit in Quantico, Virginia, just 80 miles from home.

The Saturday before Christmas, he arrived home where he will get to spend the next month before he reports to his new assignment. All of his belongings are on a truck being shipped here from Pendleton. Included in the contents is his 2003 Sportster, the bike he bought last year and inspired me to purchase my Harley. For a year, I have looked forward to one day getting to ride with him for the first time. Learning of his transfer, I knew the time was growing near that we could share this. The expected arrival date of his stuff (and his Harley)was only a couple more weeks away.

I had previously mentioned to him that the group I ride with was doing a New Years Day run. He must have gotten a hell of a re-up bonus. Instead of waiting on the arrival of his Sportster, he showed up in my driveway last night with a 2005 Wide Glide he bought at Richmond Harley earlier in the afternoon. He said he didn't want to miss the planned New Year's ride. I had a grin on my face like I have only had a couple times in my life.

Today, I was positioned in the group, immediately behind my son, SGT John M. Pancoast, Jr., USMC. There is not much in life that will ever mean as much to me as this day did.

Look out for him as I believe he is going to be spending a lot of time in this forum.

Happy New Year everyone.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:54 PM
mud
muderator
Received 8,794 Likes on 2,068 Posts
Default RE: A landmark day in my life - Fairly long and Sappy

What a great story.

Start to finish.

mud

ORIGINAL: jmpancoast

My son is 24 years old and has been stationed in California at Camp Pendleton for the past five years serving the the United States Marine Corp. Spending the later part of his teenage years as an unmotivated boy, he has turned into a fine young man. Two tours in Iraq have matured him in manner which has earned my utmost respect.

His five year commitment was scheduled to come to an end in March 2008. This excited me greatly tobe able to look forward to having him home back in Virginia. A couple weeks ago, he busted my bubble informing me he was re-enlisting for another four years. My sudden disappointment turned to joy as explained he was being assigned to a non-deployable unit in Quantico, Virginia, just 80 miles from home.

The Saturday before Christmas, he arrived home where he will get to spend the next month before he reports to his new assignment. All of his belongings are on a truck being shipping here from Pendleton. Included in the contents is his 2003 Sportster, the bike he bought last year and inspire me to purchase my Harley. For a year, I have looked forward to one day getting to ride with him for the first time. Learning of his transfer, I knew the time was growing near that we could share this. The expected arrival date of his stuff (and his Harley)was only a couple more weeks away.

I had previously mentioned to him that the group I ride with was doing a New Years Day run. He must have gotten a hell of a re-up bonus. Instead of waiting on the arrival of his Sportster, he showed up in my driveway last night with a 2005 Wide Glide he bought at Richmond Harley earlier in the afternoon. He said he didn't want to miss the planned New Year's ride. I had a grin on my face like I have only had a couple times in my life.

Today, I was positioned in the group, immediately behind my son, SGT John M. Pancoast, Jr., USMC. There is not much in life that will ever mean as much to me as this day did.

Look out for him as I believe he is going to be spending a lot of time in this forum.

Happy New Year everyone.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:57 PM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mud, he will in Skip's neck of the woods. Maybe we can hook up with you should you ever have the occasion to visit America's most successful lawn man.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:59 PM
yellowpearlfb
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

jmpancoast....that's a fantastic story! And, how 'bout your son showing up on a WG....cool!!!

Old 01-01-2008, 06:02 PM
Trotter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John.... Hope there are many more days like today for the two of you... What a way to ring in the New Year....

Old 01-01-2008, 06:03 PM
bikerdog134
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congrats. sounds like a great new year for you both.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:05 PM
mojo
Tourer

Man that is so awesome! Thanks for shareingit with us. Wish you both all the best in the New Year. Mojo

Big Twi$t
Stellar HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: jmpancoast

His five year commitment was scheduled to come to an end in March 2008. This excited me greatly tobe able to look forward to having him home back in Virginia. A couple weeks ago, he busted my bubble informing me he was re-enlisting for another four years. My sudden disappointment turned to joy as explained he was being assigned to a non-deployable unit in Quantico, Virginia, just 80 miles from home.

The Saturday before Christmas, he arrived home where he will get to spend the next month before he reports to his new assignment. All of his belongings are on a truck being shipping here from Pendleton. Included in the contents is his 2003 Sportster, the bike he bought last year and inspire me to purchase my Harley. For a year, I have looked forward to one day getting to ride with him for the first time. Learning of his transfer, I knew the time was growing near that we could share this. The expected arrival date of his stuff (and his Harley)was only a couple more weeks away.

Happy New Year everyone.
I can only dream what this is like. My father and I dont really talk (or see each other). We never really did (long story). I'm an old Chief in the Navy and he served in the Navy too. We even did a tour on the same ship (at different times). It's safe but sad to say we will probably never ride together.

So jmpancoast...I envy you, enjoy what you can with your son and thanks for sharing.

Beefy
Tourer

Wow! My children are still young. I am looking forward to days like this. Thanks for sharing.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:08 PM
Black Bart
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

John,
Thank your son for his service to our nation. He has my gratitude and thanks. May you continue to strenghten your bond with him. He sounds like a fine young man whose hand some day I would like to clasp in mine. May the roads rise to meet you both.

Bart

Quick Reply: A landmark day in my life - Fairly long and Sappy