Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

air filter question from a rookie

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 05:00 PM
street2007bob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air filter question from a rookie

I was wondering if I could add a big sucker air filter or a screaming eagle air filter without causing problems to the bike? If I get the SE kit with back plate does that just bolt on? I have slip on pipes already andknow that a "fuel system" (something eles I'm unsure of) would be helpful but don't have the money right now. SO can the filter be added now and a fuel pack later? Thanks for any help or comments.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:02 PM
Trotter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: air filter question from a rookie

Not what ya want to hear..... But I'd wait...

Old 01-08-2008, 05:21 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I didn't want to hear it either. I actually wanted to do the fuelpak first and the a/c later but V&H's said that's a no-no. Search online. I bought a big sucker stage 1 with chrome backing plate and a fuelpak from the same person for $338 shipped. Fuelpak but itself, retail, is like $270 - $280.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:31 PM
street2007bob
Tourer

Thanks guys. Are the fuel pack and air filter something a shade tree mechanic can install or would I want to go to the dealer and pay them as well. I assume that that would double the cost!

Old 01-08-2008, 06:42 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,339 Likes on 2,366 Posts

I've always been told that you can get away with just adding the slipons or just adding the S/E air cleaner but not both at the same time with out going to some sort of fuel management. How close are you to the dealer or reputable "indy"?

Old 01-08-2008, 08:25 PM
Clutch66
Tourer

As stated above, you should not do the AC and mufflers without doing the fuel also.

It is pretty simple to think about. The old hot rod story of "morevolume in - needs more volume out" - BUT in the case of FI you have to do fuel management to increase the fuel to compensate for the larger overall volume

Now if you have "more volume in" but stock out, you can squeek by. If you have "more volume out" but stock in, you can squeek by, because in either case you're still restricting the overall flow.

I put on my pipes first. Then within a couple of weeks, I did the air cleaner and the PCIII at the same time, using a map that I downloaded for that particular set-up/combination.

C66

Old 01-08-2008, 08:28 PM
street2007bob
Tourer

2 hour drive on I-70 to Denver (closest dealer). ?indy? not sure what that is but I'm in the sticks here 2 hours any direction to anything that I know of

Old 01-08-2008, 08:49 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: street2007bob

2 hour drive on I-70 to Denver (closest dealer). ?indy? not sure what that is but I'm in the sticks here 2 hours any direction to anything that I know of
indy = individual - vs. HD dealer. Someone who does better work for less money and really seems to care about you AND your bike.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:21 AM
Dynaflyer
Road Master

Street2007bob,
Do it yourself brotha. It's really a piece of cake. Your best help can be found on this forum.
It always feels good after a project that we do ourselves. The education alone and having to solve minor fixes is worth it's weight in Gold.
For me it has always felt cheezy to just throw cash at the the dealer to mod my bike.
The satisfaction of a DIY is Priceless. my .02

Old 01-09-2008, 02:51 AM
Sc07Sbob
Advanced

I'm with Dynaflyer totally!! Both are easy to install, and the satisfaction of doing it yourself, and getting to know your bike is great!

The air cleaner kit is extremely easy to do, and I dont know about install on the Power Commander, SERT, etc, but I have added the V&H fuelpak and it was pretty easy also.....if you can get the friggin wires through the small openings, and get everything crammed up under the seat![:@][>:] Just kidding, not hard to do, but just not alot of room under there.

Like everybody else said, definately wait to do the air cleaner and the fuel management system at the same time.

Quick Reply: air filter question from a rookie