Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nash "Gimp Hangers"?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 03:52 AM
BerksBOB
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nash "Gimp Hangers"?

Hey guys I'm in the process of winter mods and was wondering if anyone has the Nash GimpHanger handlebarson their bike? I'm looking at either 14" or 16". Any input or pics would be great. For those of you who have apes I was wondering about comfort, I'm 5'10. I'm still teetering between the two sizes.

Berk

[IMG]local://upfiles/30442/890D1A60DC3F4E0D885CA0305B80403F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-26-2008, 06:06 AM
lolife
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Nash "Gimp Hangers"?

there are several here.........maybe you can search...or somebody will chime in ....Im sure they will........... . . ....I dont have gimps....but I do like the looks of them.....At the time of my bar change....I had never seen them on a bike ...there were none here....and I was not sure about internal wiring...something I wanted done..... . . .I have been told that you can Infact run internal with the nash...... . . . . .they were really my first choice. . . . . . .as far as going to apes..................just do it ....you'll love it......................... . .good luck bro............

Old 01-26-2008, 06:08 AM
lolife
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check out hogrida_06 hes gottem on a sweet bike..................... . . . ..............

Old 01-26-2008, 06:35 AM
Reverend
Tourer

Love the Gimps, but wish they'd do 'em in a bigger diameter bar. 1" gives too much flex for my liking..

Old 01-26-2008, 06:58 AM
GlassBikerNC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

They now make the "Pudgy Gimps" that are 1.25".

My sig pic shows the 16" Gimps that I used to have.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:23 AM
BlueShift
Road Master

I was looking at the 14" gimps. Internal wiring should not be a problem. If you're going to drop the directionals to the forks it cuts down on the amount of wires.
Its only 6 wires per side. This cuts the wire bundle down to about 1/4" in diameter. If you put drag lines in the bars before install , mason line works best ,its a peice of cake. I got a HD gift certificate for christmas and went with HD black Mini Ape for my BOB, no money out of pocket. I did want to go any high but I may in the future.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:07 AM
tattoofreaksb
Tourer

Love my 16's.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:21 AM
revolution
Road Captain

I went with the 14" Gimps . I am also 5' 10 and these are very comfortable for me. Pix in gallery.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:38 AM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: lolife

check out hogrida_06 hes gottem on a sweet bike..................... . . . ..............
Mine aren't actually Gimps. I built um. I didn't like the big radius at the top of the Gimps.My barsare fitted together at the bottom like the Gimps and fitted at the top like Roland Sands bars. I built them nice and narrow so my are's aren't too spread.
I've been asked to build bars for others on this forum, And I'm sorry but I don't feel comfortable. If a weld ever broke and someone got hurt I'd feel horrible.

Old 01-26-2008, 02:16 PM
rok312
Tourer

Do a forum search on "Gimps" - tons of hits. Also, do a search for "My Ape Install" for information on installing apes. Along with my service manual, this write-up has been VERY valuable.

I recently got the 16" ones. Still in the process of installing...nothing difficult, just time consuming (and I can only put in an hour or two at a time right now). Here's my experience thus far:

Removal of the tank is not necessary, but would make things easier when dealing with the wiring bundle and throttle controls. I'm so far making due with just sliding the tank back enough to reach everything.

I've got the wires run internally in the bars. Not a horrible process, but a bit of a pain due to the angle of the turn at the bottom of these particular bars. I'm not sure how others have approached this, but I used speaker wire and painters tape to pull the control wires through...and I only pulled one wire at a time (tried to do more than one at a time, but just found it to difficult to get them around the corner at the bottom). Did this inside while watching TV...kept my sanity that way.

I went with +6 length Magnum Sterling Chromite II cables. Got them through Zanotti's for 20% off retail. The clutch cable is attached with a retaining ring - get some good retaining ring pliers and be prepared with an extra set of retaining rings - I ruined the originals when pulling them off. No big deal - any hardware store carries these things.

Some folks go with a wire extension kit (Novello is a popular brand). I actually bought an 8" Novello wire extension kit...but it was for '96-'06 models, and I have an '07. Sure enough, the connectors on the '07 are subtly different. Ended up that I don't need it anyway, as there is enough slack in the stock wires. If you have a pre-'07 model and are intersted in a wire kit, let me know.

The Gimps are not knurled where they attach at the risers...as others with Gimps have mentioned, its hard to tighten the risers enough to keep the bars from moving because of this. I'm taking the advice of some on this forum and cutting a little bit of aluminum window screen to wrap around the bars so the risers have something to grab.

Not much more detail to share, here, as I'm waiting for polyurethane riser bushings to arrive and the temp to go up a little (been around zero lately) before mounting everything up.

I'll post pictures when I'm done.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Nash "Gimp Hangers"?