Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1992 FXR question

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 11:07 AM
tinker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 FXR question

I'm going to post this question in a couple of different forums to see if I get an answer. Hope this isn't in violation of forum rules.

A friend of mine is looking to buy a 92 FXR from a friend. From what I've been told of the bike, I have some concerns but need more info. from someone here with more expertise.

The bike is a 1992 FXR. The person who currently owns it is the second owner. He bought the bike in 1995... and it had.. (I can hardly believe this) 200 miles on it. This guy put a whopping 400 miles on the bike since 1995.. (incredible I know), so the bike now has 600 original miles. So this is a 1992 bike with the original motor (etc) that isn't even broken in yet.

I've been told that the bike has been sitting under a tarp in this guys garage for the last 10 years.

My concerns:
1 Condensation in the engine, transmission, and driveline components.
2. I've heard of engine siezing issues where the rings corrode and attach to the cylinder wall... but these stories were from long ago and I don't know their validity.
3. Unknown state of the electronics.
4. Rubber hoses, belts, etc. are questionable.
5. Tires are probably rotted or cracked.
6. Internal fluids have probably degraded.
7. The fuel has hopefully been turned off, but there could be a problem of condensation / corrosion in the gas tank, and the carb + jets need to be cleaned.

I'd like to get the opinion of someone with more expertise than me on this. Any comments? Things I'm missing? Things that I'm worried about that aren't an issue?

Thanks in advance.
Tinker

Old 05-16-2008, 11:39 AM
stagolee
Road Master
Default RE: 1992 FXR question

ORIGINAL: tinker

I'm going to post this question in a couple of different forums to see if I get an answer. Hope this isn't in violation of forum rules.

A friend of mine is looking to buy a 92 FXR from a friend. From what I've been told of the bike, I have some concerns but need more info. from someone here with more expertise.

The bike is a 1992 FXR. The person who currently owns it is the second owner. He bought the bike in 1995... and it had.. (I can hardly believe this) 200 miles on it. This guy put a whopping 400 miles on the bike since 1995.. (incredible I know), so the bike now has 600 original miles. So this is a 1992 bike with the original motor (etc) that isn't even broken in yet.

I've been told that the bike has been sitting under a tarp in this guys garage for the last 10 years.

My concerns:
1 Condensation in the engine, transmission, and driveline components.
2. I've heard of engine siezing issues where the rings corrode and attach to the cylinder wall... but these stories were from long ago and I don't know their validity.
3. Unknown state of the electronics.
4. Rubber hoses, belts, etc. are questionable.
5. Tires are probably rotted or cracked.
6. Internal fluids have probably degraded.
7. The fuel has hopefully been turned off, but there could be a problem of condensation / corrosion in the gas tank, and the carb + jets need to be cleaned.

I'd like to get the opinion of someone with more expertise than me on this. Any comments? Things I'm missing? Things that I'm worried about that aren't an issue?

Thanks in advance.
Tinker
In addition to what you've already listed:

Look for frame damage. Scrutinize the body for signs of repair work.

Use a flashlight to check for rust in the tank. If there's any sign of rust, thats a potential car issue.

Check the electrical system with a volt meter when the bike is running idle.

Check to make sure the forks are perfectly straight. Eyeball it.

If your friend is looking for a project bike, that sounds like an awesome opportunity. If your friend is looking to ride, then keep looking.

600 miles on a 16 year old bike leaves me nervous.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:43 AM
wescoot2
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Also think that every gasket has dried out, and will leak.

Ed

Old 05-16-2008, 11:46 AM
Asuperglide
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Difficult to validate the miles unless you have a reliable 3rd party and that's pretty hard to do and so what your looking at a 1992 FXR. From what you can see after sitting so long does it look like a rat? Does it have all the fluids? Look in the cyl.s and see what you have. Is the seller willing to crank it over? and fire this puppy up?

Expect to do more inspecting/probing from top to bottom to make it road worthy. Is the time & effort worth the price? For $2-3.5K I would say yes if this bike has been "sitting idle" for over 10 years. More than that I would weigh something else. The FXR is cool. I bought a 1988 FXRP thru a city sealed bid last year. Had 8K miles but I had all the service records and a record of everytime it was ridden.

Your friends money & TIME is valuable. The worse thing is putting a lot of money & time and not being able to make or breakeven. Have fun with it but know your limits before jumping in. Good luck & have fun.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:29 PM
jasononaharley
Cruiser

Run your finger under the engine... if it comes up clean (and at 600 miles, it should be spotless clean), you have a bike that has not been ridden. How much they asking?

I had a 92 FXRS and it was pretty much problem free for the 25k + miles I put on it.

Old 05-18-2008, 06:03 PM
tinker
Cruiser

The last I heard, the current owner of the bike was basically going to give him the bike... this is because of the uncertainty regarding the mechanical viability of the ride. He is probably looking at a couple of grand to put it right.

Anyway, thanks all for the input. If he decides to take it on and fixes her up, I'll post a pic.

-tinker

Old 07-06-2008, 05:43 PM
tinker
Cruiser

Thanks all for the advice. My buddy got the bike - and invested less than a grand I think getting it cleaned and fixed up. Now it rides and runs great.

Going to try and post a pic below.

or maybe this will work...

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j...hotos/fxr1.jpg

Old 07-06-2008, 05:50 PM
wescoot2
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Outstanding&nbsp\\; !!!

Old 07-06-2008, 07:34 PM
RudeDog
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent deal! I know he will be enjoying it for many years. I know I miss my '91.&nbsp\\;

Old 09-27-2012, 09:21 PM
timhd
Stage II
Default 1992 fxlr

I just bought a 1992 fxlr and I have a question. Is the points cover on this specific years model riveted on or is this something aftermarket the owner before me did? If its correct I'm assuming I have to drill it out to get the cover off..Let me know!

Quick Reply: 1992 FXR question