Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you disconnect low fuel light for good?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 09:56 PM
Muddyape
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you disconnect low fuel light for good?

07 Street Bob. Ordered the Ness Low Gravity Baby moon gas cap and "dummy" gas cap for left side. Have a 2" tank lift so tank mounted gauge is useless. I go only by odometer for gas fills. So, im removing fuel guage in tank and need to know if there is a way to "trick" low fuel indicator light to always stay OFF. I unplugged the fuel gauge and low fuel lamp stays on continous even with full tank. Im sure there is a way just need to know it.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:22 PM
MetalSpike
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Replacing tank fuel gauge with "\\;dummy"\\; cap?

Give it time - the light will burn itself out.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-09-2008, 10:32 PM
Dynaflyer
Road Master
Default RE: Replacing tank fuel gauge with "dummy" cap?

ORIGINAL: Muddyape

07 Street Bob. Ordered the Ness Low Gravity Baby moon gas cap and "dummy" gas cap for left side. Have a 2" tank lift so tank mounted gauge is useless. I go only by odometer for gas fills. So, im removing fuel guage in tank and need to know if there is a way to "trick" low fuel indicator light to always stay OFF. I unplugged the fuel gauge and low fuel lamp stays on continous even with full tank. Im sure there is a way just need to know it.
&nbsp\\;
Tried to post some info but it wouldn't let me do it.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:38 PM
Dynaflyer
Road Master

Splice gray from gauge to yellow - white on speedo.
Hope this post takes. This forum is starting to be a pain in the ***.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:06 PM
Muddyape
Road Master

DF...if im pulling the whole tank fuel gauge set up out and not replacing, is there a gray wire in the harness im disconnecting the fuel guage from? im sorry...can do it but elec. not my real thing.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:21 PM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Replacing tank fuel gauge with "\\;dummy"\\; cap?

muddyape i think what he is saying is on your tank guage when you pull it out keep the quick connect plug just cut it off the gauge and splice those wires together and plug it back in where the gauge was plugged in.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:34 PM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Default RE: Replacing tank fuel gauge with "\\\\\\;dummy"\\\\\\; cap?

Ok i just looked at my 2007 dyna service manual electrical prints and here is what i got for you.&nbsp\\; three wires should be on the end of that gauge harness&nbsp\\; O which i believe is orange, Y/W which i believe is Yellow/White and BLK or black ground.&nbsp\\; Following the prints O is power goes to the insturment panel and the fuel gauge and back to the 15am fuse for instuments.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Y/W is signal and goes to the insturment panel and the fuel pump assembly. and Blk is ground.
&nbsp\\;
In the fuel pump assy Y/W goes into the level sensor and comes to Blk or ground.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
So my theroy is cut the connector off the end of the gauge wire together Y/W and Blk and that should that should simulate a full tank once you wire them together plug the connector back into the original spot on the bike and you should be good.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:36 PM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Default RE: Replacing tank fuel gauge with "\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;dummy"\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; cap?

Pull the O wire completely out of the plug your modifiying or you will have an open power wire hanging there.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:53 PM
Muddyape
Road Master
Default RE: Replacing tank fuel gauge with "\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\;dummy"\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\; cap?

OK...trying to wrap my head around this...I either need to cut off or remove the plug from the tank fuel gauge assembly to remove it from the tank (this much im sure of) Remove the fuel gauge and put it aside. Take the plug I just cut off/removed plug and get rid of the orange wire from that altogether. Splice or make a jumper from the pin locations of the black and yellow/white? then reconnect the plug back to the bikes harness minus the orange.
&nbsp\\;
So orange just powers up the tank gauge?

Old 06-10-2008, 01:40 PM
Muddyape
Road Master

Back to the drawing board....tried jumping the yellow/white to the black and removed the orange. Still throws a light on the speedo.....thanks for the replies but anyone else got an idea?&nbsp\\;The gauge does NOTHING to actually determine the level of fuel in the tank it is just an indicator as is the low fuel light. When I disconnected the gauge it broke the loop. I guess I need to simulate the gauge still being in line but disconnecting the power (orange) might have something to do with it.

Quick Reply: How do you disconnect low fuel light for good?