Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint My Exhaust Black

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 06:52 AM
Southern Dyna
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint My Exhaust Black

Greetings from Ireland!&nbsp\\;The exhausts on my Dyna Wide Glide are getting a little battered and have turned an ugly blue/black colour. My finances cant stretch to a new set at the moment so I'm considering removing the chrome heat shields and painting the exhaust black (with the appropriate heat resistant paint of course). Has anyone done this before? What are the pitfalls, if any? There is still a considerable amount of chrome left on the exhaust, will this cause a problem?
&nbsp\\;
Another option is to wrap them, again has anyone done this and what are the problems I'm likely to encounter.
&nbsp\\;
Thanking you in advance.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:48 AM
tideglide
Cruiser
Default RE: Paint My Exhaust Black

I just had mine ceramic coated black, including the shields. Looks great, don't know of any "pitfalls" but then Ive only had the bike back 4 days.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:53 AM
Stanger
Road Master

If&nbsp\\;I was you I would take and paint the shields along with the exhaust. I have my shields powdercoated and well they are holding up great, but I just painted my exhaust ends. 1st make sure you scratch up the crome. I used a green brillo pad, it gives the paint something to stick to. Good luck.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:29 AM
Southern Dyna
6th Gear

Appreciate the feedback guys. There is alot of chrome on the bike already and I think painting (or powdercoating) the heat shields along with the exhausts would take from the whole look. I'll definately invest in a brillo pad before I attempt any painting.
&nbsp\\;
Thanks again[sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 07-01-2008, 11:32 AM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Here is a pic of a friends of mine on his Dyna. He painted his shields also.

&nbsp\\;

Old 07-01-2008, 03:51 PM
Punty
Road Warrior

here mine

Old 07-01-2008, 05:33 PM
2007fxdb
Cruiser

my sheilds are powder coated wrinkle black to match my whole bike.&nbsp\\; But for cheap you could scratch the chrome and do a self etching primer(automotive) then do 2 light coats of color- any high temp but best is Black VHT - then light sand do 2 more coats for professional finish, done rite take approx 2-3 days in summer.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:28 PM
DynaDan
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Airborne350G

Here is a pic of a friends of mine on his Dyna. He painted his shields also.

&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;

You beat me to it Greg .&nbsp\\; I painted my shields with some high temp header/exhaust paint from the local auto parts store.&nbsp\\; It went on remarkably smooth for a rattle can job, and only cost me about $6.&nbsp\\; I think it came out pretty well.&nbsp\\; You just need to be sure you scuff up the chrome on the pipes on shields before you paint them so it will stick.&nbsp\\; It took a couple of coats, because I kept trying to mess with them before they were dry.&nbsp\\; &nbsp\\; Let them dry overnight, put them on, them ride with them for a few hours to let the paint cure. You can use a little 000 or 0000 steel wool between coats to smooth out any imperfections.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:55 AM
Southern Dyna
6th Gear

My pipes are very similar to yours Airborn350G but I was considering the opposite to what you have i.e. chrome to the front and black at the rear. Nice ride though!

Old 07-02-2008, 10:58 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

if you do it be sure you get the good stuff, they make a 2000* that is great! and a 1200* that will work. (rattle can at auto store) anything less will just not hold up as well, my old pipes i cut my heat shields to work with my wrap, i cut them then lined out a design, then shot them and drilled them out for the dice, i then cleared them with 500* on purpose, this kept the bare metal that did not get painted for the design from rusting, but also will react with the bare metal, clear, and heat and turn the raw metal areas like a copper/goldish very cool effect.

[IMG]local://upfiles/26534/213184EB06CD44819FEDA0F5C9B9851E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/26534/DAC60EFF694B402DA872F6E41C667DB1.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Paint My Exhaust Black