Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1ST TIME RIDER Q'S ON MSF CLASS AND GEAR

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 12:53 PM
cwhardee13
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1ST TIME RIDER Q'S ON MSF CLASS AND GEAR

HEY ALL

I JUST ORDERED MY 1ST BIKE AND I GOT AN 09 FAT BOB. IM A SOLDIER HERE IN IRAQ. I CANT WAIT TO GET HOME AND GET TO IT. WHAT IM REALLY WANDERING IS THERE REALLY A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE RIDERS EDGE COURSE HARLEY DEALERS OFFER AND ANY OTHER MSF CLASSES. IF SO WHICH MAY BE THE BETTER OPTION? WILL THE RIDERS EDGE BE ABLE TO BETTER TEACH ME FOR MY BIKE THAN ANOTHER COURSE. IM NOT WORRIED ABOUT LEARNING TO RIDE, I JUST WANT TO LEARN THE RIGHT WAY. ALSO IS THE HARLEY BRAND GEAR THE WAY TO GO? YOU KNOW JACKETS, HELMETS, AND SUCH.

ANY HELP MUCH APPRECIATED

Old 07-13-2008, 02:05 PM
Cornhusker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 1ST TIME RIDER Q'S ON MSF CLASS AND GEAR

As far as I know, they all teach the MSF Course material which gets you a discounted rate&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;with many insurance companies and also qualifies you&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;to receive&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;your Motorcycle endorsement without any other tests in many states.
&nbsp\\;
Thanks for your service.

Old 07-13-2008, 02:34 PM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

HD sells some good stuff.. But expensive. Need to check with your local post to see if they will honor the Rider Edge Course. Some places will not let you register your bike on post without an "MSF" card even though both teach pretty much the same. Also find out what the requirements are for Personal Protective Equipment. Some require a reflective vest at all times, some only require bright upper garment during the day and reflective during hours of limited visibility. Some even let you get by with a PT belt, which provides nothing when on a bike. You can barely see it...LOL. Do not forget full fingered gloves and boots over the ankles. Be careful about getting a skid lid, not authorized on a military installation.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:30 PM
Kockdiesel
Tourer

I'm stationed at Scott AFB, just took the MSF expert course that is mandatory for base riders. I took the expert course because it was available sooner, I hadn't ridden in almost 9 years. They required each rider to do the course on their own bike, in my case is an '06 Street Bob. I had no problem passing the course. I didn't get my MC endorcement on my Illinois license because Scott AFB doesn't allow the state of IL to come on base.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:43 PM
Airborne350G
Club Member

We have the same issue on Ft Belvoir.&nbsp\\; They teach the basic course&nbsp\\;on the smaller bikes&nbsp\\;but then you have to do a skills test down at the DMV. It is easier to just take the basic course at one of the universities around here. I recently retook the ERC with MSF so I would not have any issues registering my bikes in Germany. They are already crated up and hopfully on their way there.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:47 PM
TMace
Cruiser

Welcome to the wonderful world of harley!
I am retired military and currently work on Ft Jackson SC for a DOD contractor. If you are active duty check with your post safety office they will pay for the course! It usually runs about $125. For most courses you will need, long pants, boots, full fingered gloves, long sleeve shirt or jacket, eye protection, and a 3/4 or full face helmet. The course I took with the Motorcycle Safety Foundation does not recognize half helmets as being DOT approved therfeore will not allow them for the course.
To ride on any military installation you will need the above stuff but can wear half helmet. You will need to add a reflective vest as well. BTW they do stop you at the gate and ask for the motorcycle safety card. If you do not have it you will not get on the post. I have heard that if you are retired or DOD civilian you just need to show your license. Have yet to test that yet.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:38 PM
0ut1aw
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the safety office&nbsp\\; They should pay for it and I would say call them from Iraq when you're headed home.&nbsp\\; As for the difference, I have had both in different states and the course is basically the same.&nbsp\\; No real advantage to doing it through Harley.&nbsp\\; They do it here (CO) on buells so there are no similarities to your bike.&nbsp\\; If you do the experienced course it is on your bike, so you might gain good info there.
&nbsp\\;
Every state is different, ND only charged 25.00 CO is about 150.00, the DMV in both states take MSF as dirving test completion but some states do not.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-13-2008, 08:25 PM
Airborne350G
Club Member

Most Safety Offices will only pay for the Experience Rider Course (ERC)&nbsp\\;not the Basic rider course. Some Division commanders are making the ERC mandatory if you just got back from a long deployment.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:29 AM
bax467
Cruiser

first off congrats on the bike purchase and most importantly THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO THIS GREAT COUNTRY
&nbsp\\;I have noticed recently that harley gear has improved in quality, but I personally would not recommend most of it to anyone concerned with value. That is, unless you are going for the less is more look which by the sounds of things any military installation will not allow.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:22 AM
bax467
Cruiser

website won't let me post.........gooooooooooooo!

Quick Reply: 1ST TIME RIDER Q'S ON MSF CLASS AND GEAR