Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drags or Mini-Apes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 10:36 AM
tideglide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drags or Mini-Apes?

I am looking for a change. Currently, I have 4 1/2 in pulllback risers with stock bars(02 FXD). I'm wanting my hand position higher and back. The Wild-1 model 507 drags(thanks ktm scott) is an option, as well as mini-apes. Is there a different "feel" as far as handling, or is the only difference between the two just esthetic?

Old 09-02-2008, 11:00 AM
sonic
Road Captain

As far as looks go it's the fast style vrs old school. How do you want your bike to look when you are finish? As for me I'll take the drags. Both should be very comfortable though.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:12 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

It is more than just aesthetics, apes do add a little more leverage because of the height. I like them for the more upright sitting position, just feels a helluva lot more relaxed to me. I would not go with the HD mini's, I would go with Wild1 1 1/4" bars and internal wiring. I have 12.5" Wild1's and they put my hands at about shoulder height which is ideal for me.
One nice benefit of apes is you get a lot more adjustment front to back to find the perfect position for your own tastes.
just my opinions your mileage may vary.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:29 PM
Stanger
Road Master

I have tried drag bars, pull backs and now have 16" apes on with stock risers, and to be honest, I never wanted to go to apes because I was affraid of what it would do to my back and shoulder, well I gave in and tried them and figured if I was going to do it, go big, so the 16" apes 1 1/4" bars came up for free. Well I will say that for me, it has helped my back. I sit up more upright and forward and my should is fine. So I guess it really comes down to what do you want your bike to look like? Like the other person said, old school or fast school? Then it comes down to what feels good. If you know someone with these different bar variations, give them a try and see what fits. I went the long and expensive route. Goodluck.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:35 AM
tideglide
Cruiser

Originally Posted by RSA05FXDWGI
It is more than just aesthetics, apes do add a little more leverage because of the height. I like them for the more upright sitting position, just feels a helluva lot more relaxed to me. I would not go with the HD mini's, I would go with Wild1 1 1/4" bars and internal wiring. I have 12.5" Wild1's and they put my hands at about shoulder height which is ideal for me.
One nice benefit of apes is you get a lot more adjustment front to back to find the perfect position for your own tastes.
just my opinions your mileage may vary.

Hadn't thought about that. With drags, your locked into one postion.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:05 AM
bosken
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tideglide
Hadn't thought about that. With drags, your locked into one postion.
Part true but you can always change the risers with drag: higher, lower, high or low with pullback etc..

But I´m going back to apes myself, like Stranger, my back hurts after a while with drags.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:11 AM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

not to hijack things, but 'Bosken'... your bikes is going to look absolutely SICK with apes!!!

I want to cut my struts so bad... i've done all i could do to get this bike where i want it to be...and still not satisfied

by the way, how did you connect that fender?

Old 09-03-2008, 08:15 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by bosken
Part true but you can always change the risers with drag: higher, lower, high or low with pullback etc..

But I´m going back to apes myself, like Stranger, my back hurts after a while with drags.
True, but that requires paying for different risers to try something different, no such problem with apes.
Bottom line is it's all about what you find most comfortable for you.
Maybe it's because I grew up in the day of stingray bikes with "apes" and banana seats....lol

Old 09-03-2008, 08:18 AM
drtheo
Tourer

I am toying with the idea of apes too. I agree with you jsbridgew that Bosken's bike will look sick with apes. Good thread.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:18 AM
drtheo
Tourer

Those were the days....Banana seats!!!! Lol

Quick Reply: Drags or Mini-Apes?