Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thunderheader Pipe - How do you install the clamp?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 11:58 AM
hAkron
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Thunderheader Pipe - How do you install the clamp?

I'm installing a set of Thunderheaders (the 2 into 1 full system...I think that's all they sell for the dynas, but I want to make sure I'm not creating any confusion), and there is a clamp that goes around one of the pipes....I'm assuming I was supposed to slip that on BEFORE I mounted the pipes to the bike, but from the looks of it, there is NO way to get that on after. I wasn't paying attention and I assumed it was hinged, but it is not. So here are my two questions:

1 - Is that clamp supposed to be slipped on over the header pipe before installation?

2 - how important is that clamp? The bracket that holds the muffler to the bike is pretty substantial. Am I asking for trouble by not installing the clamp?

3 - Bonus question - Does anybody make a hinged clamp that I could buy that I could install without taking the pipes back off of the bike?

Old 05-25-2017, 12:17 PM
AdamM
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

You have to bend it open. I did mine before I intsalled the pipe on the bike but I cant think of any reason taht it wont work with it already on. And I'd say its fairly important, they aren't great quality pipe to begin with, the more you can prevent flexing the longer it should last. I've already had to weld the bracket mounted to the transmission twice and my bike only has 16,500 miles

Old 05-25-2017, 12:18 PM
hAkron
Road Captain

What's the best way to bend it open?

Old 05-25-2017, 12:25 PM
AdamM
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by hAkron
What's the best way to bend it open?
I'm pretty sure I used two pairs of pliers to pry it open, put it on the pipe, and then used channel locks to pull it back together

Old 05-27-2017, 06:19 AM
hAkron
Road Captain

I did have to take the pipes all the way back off of the bike to get the clamp on. The rider foot peg and the brake would have for sure been in the way of getting the clamp into position. I used a little piece of scrap wood as a wedge to spread the clamp enough to get it past the O2 sensor bung. The clamp was spread enough after that so I couldn't get the the nut started after installing the washers, so rather than mess with it, I just got a slightly longer bolt.