Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

U-haul trailer

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 11:12 AM
c_fonner
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U-haul trailer

Been coming to this site for a while. Excellent advice! Anyway, I'm moving from Las Vegas to North Dakota at the end of the month. I am wondering if anybody has ever trailered their bike in an enclosed U-haul trailer? Went and looked at them and saw that they have little "D" ring hooks in the corners. Not sure if they would be strong enough to hold the bike for a 1500 mile trip. Anybody have any advice or tips/experience??? Thanks in advance...

Old 11-05-2008, 11:30 AM
davidsdad
Road Warrior

I have hauled my bike in a U-Haul trailer before, no problem..

Old 11-06-2008, 09:21 AM
grumpa
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Years ago I used to run my FXRP-SP up into the back of my van, rested it on the kick stand, tie down front and aft , it never went any were, same would be for the u-haul. Best thing is let the OL drive the trailer with the house junk and YOU ride the bike up, dress warm. Back in 89 I rode my bike from Fort Collins Co. to Philly pa, right after Easter Sunday, great ride.
it was cold and got wet crossing the planes.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:57 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member

someone on the forum said they were hauling their new bike in a trailier... well the kickstand went thru the flooring and the bike ended up on its side, dont let your do this!

Old 11-06-2008, 11:39 AM
c_fonner
1st Gear

Thaks for all the advice. As far as riding it up there, it was a definite thought for about a second. Woke up this morning, weather man says they had over a foot of snow there over night. Unless there is some sort of conversion kit that will turn a street bob into a snowmobile (snow bob???) its not gonna happen. Again thanks for the info

Old 11-06-2008, 01:17 PM
bigmikaele
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I used a uhaul to haul it from FL to KS (had to get the car there too). they gave me a open trailer and the 4 D-rings are enough to hold it. I only used the kick stand to hold it in place until I had the front forks strapped down. Then put the stand up and tied the back down. It was about $500 - $600 one way rental so pretty expensive. May want to look at a bike trailer for yourself. The second time you use it it will pay for itself.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:18 PM
firefighter3666
Road Master

If the finances allow, I'd pickup your own trailer.

If not, you might consider building a setup like the attached picture. A thick (3/4") piece of plywood that is sized to fit the trailer floor. Four tie-down points (with good straps) and a budget wheel chock will help keep the bike upright on the plywood. Use the U-Haul tie-downs points and some other straps to keep the whole thing stable. It sounds like a bit much, but it beats getting to your new home and finding you bike damaged.

Attached Thumbnails U-haul trailer-liner.jpg  
Old 11-06-2008, 11:00 PM
BOW
Novice

Originally Posted by c_fonner
Thaks for all the advice. As far as riding it up there, it was a definite thought for about a second. Woke up this morning, weather man says they had over a foot of snow there over night. Unless there is some sort of conversion kit that will turn a street bob into a snowmobile (snow bob???) its not gonna happen. Again thanks for the info
It's cold here and most roads are closed. Strap it down good and solid and take it slow.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:58 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by firefighter3666
If the finances allow, I'd pickup your own trailer.

If not, you might consider building a setup like the attached picture. A thick (3/4") piece of plywood that is sized to fit the trailer floor. Four tie-down points (with good straps) and a budget wheel chock will help keep the bike upright on the plywood. Use the U-Haul tie-downs points and some other straps to keep the whole thing stable. It sounds like a bit much, but it beats getting to your new home and finding you bike damaged.
This is a great idea. I've been wondering how to use chock in a U-Haul trailer or truck to move my bike this spring when some have metal floors...but this would solve my problem.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:28 AM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Go to Home Depot and get some plywood and build it to slide in the trailer. You could also add some 2x4's to attach eyehoooks to for extra tiedowns.

Quick Reply: U-haul trailer