Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   Deuce rear wheel on Dyna (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/291973-deuce-rear-wheel-on-dyna.html)

bald guy 04-16-2009 05:29 AM

Well I got it off e bay it had 3/4 bearings and inter spacer the 3/4 spacer slides into the center hole that is 1" so it looks like 06 duce rim isnt 1" after all unless wrong information was being told about it on his ebay site my 1 inch axle will go thru but of course with my 07 spacer it will have to be slightly bored out. once again thanks for all who replied back. I just want to make sure its going to be safe putting it on.

traveler 04-16-2009 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by bald guy (Post 4870551)
Well I got it off e bay it had 3/4 bearings and inter spacer the 3/4 spacer slides into the center hole that is 1" so it looks like 06 duce rim isnt 1" after all unless wrong information was being told about it on his ebay site my 1 inch axle will go thru but of course with my 07 spacer it will have to be slightly bored out. once again thanks for all who replied back. I just want to make sure its going to be safe putting it on.

Just be sure you have a MACHINIST do it, as they will only take out EXACTLY what needs to be taken out. Some guys have actually drilled it out themsleves....personally I think that's a BAD idea.:(

Good luck!

~Joe

MarksBOB 04-16-2009 08:36 AM

Did you measure the internal Dia" before you had the chroming done ?
If it's an older deuce wheel the internal spacer won't fit without machining.

I've seen these on pre 06 dyna's but don't know how the did it.

bald guy 04-16-2009 07:06 PM

no this wasnt chromed just original I got off e bay its a 17" wheel but it had 3/4 axle in it. Wish it was as easy as knocking out the bearing and replace with 1" but no big deal I bought new bearings and spacer today. Im takeing it up the street tomorrow to this machine shop they have cad machine Ill have it out this weekend. I hate helmets I just wanted to make sure its safe doing all this im tired of replaceing tubes. Once again thanks all for your imput.

bald guy 04-17-2009 04:59 PM

Well what an expensive lesson I learned today. The like new rim I bought off ebay is bent. Its not useable, naked eye you cant see it untill its turned on the machine 90 thousands on the rotor side and 60 thounsands on the flip side. It shows a heck of a wable about 6 inches from the valve back. Id say it hit deep chuck hole or something needless to say beware when you by something like this without checking it out first. So back with the spoke rim square one.

ratt196635 04-17-2009 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by bald guy (Post 4878036)
Well what an expensive lesson I learned today. The like new rim I bought off ebay is bent. Its not useable, naked eye you cant see it untill its turned on the machine 90 thousands on the rotor side and 60 thounsands on the flip side. It shows a heck of a wable about 6 inches from the valve back. Id say it hit deep chuck hole or something needless to say beware when you by something like this without checking it out first. So back with the spoke rim square one.

I will have one for sale in a couple of months when I get the time to have my extra one coated I drilled out the one I had on my 06 bob myself and had no problems with it. I measured the wheel spacer and got a dril bit from work that was just a little bigger and drilled it out slowly. The one I will have for sale will already be drilled out and but no bearings and spacer installed. Pm me if you are interested in it.

Frankensteineken 09-11-2009 09:02 PM

I hate to resurrect this thread from the dead, but I am in the same boat. I bought a used Deuce wheel with 3/4" bearings and went to put the 1" bearings in it and figured out the 1" spacer doesn't fit in the hub. Is the spacer a crucial part? The inside of the hub is just a hair larger than 1", so the axle will fit, but it won't have the support in the middle. Is this the purpose of the spacer? Does the axle need contact the entire length? The way I read it, it looks like there were couple guys who just changed bearings. I certainly could have missed something though. Thanks.

MarksBOB 09-13-2009 12:51 AM

You must fit with the inner spacer,
Dont try and fit without it. when you fit the axle, the outer spacer only contacts the small dia part of the bearing and without the inner spacer theres nothing to tighten up against.

Frankensteineken 09-13-2009 10:33 AM

The wheel is machined with 2" diameter pockets for the bearings that are only as wide as the bearing that allows them to be pressed in without going too far. The hole for the axle is slightly larger than 1" allowing the axle to pass through. I can bolt it up and tighten it no problem. But, is the axle spacer's only job to keep the bearings seperated and allow the axle to be tightened, or does it have a load bearing role as well when it come to the axle?

MarksBOB 09-14-2009 02:30 AM

tighten up without inner spacer ?
all you have done is put side load on the bearings,
DO NOT USE, will fail very very soon !!!