Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter and battery care

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 12:45 AM
FatBobRay
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter and battery care

Well in New Hampshire winter is here. Ice and snow on the roads, only a person with heated clothes and perhaps a screw loose would be riding today ... IMO! (Even if your warm ice is ice) Sooo question ... If you live in my type of climate do you always remove the battery from your bike during the winter? The reason I ask is this is my 1st Harley but I've owned several Hondas, Yamahas, one BMW, one Triumph (Been riding around 15 years) and I've never taken out their batteries during the winter ... never. Also ... so far not ONE motorcycle has failed to start for me in the spring. They crank a little longer the 1st time they start in the spring but ALL have started and knock on wood I've yet to have a battery die on me. (I normally only keep a motorcycle for a few summers before buying a different one so the batteries don't tend to get too old.)

I've read suggestions about taking out the battery, placing it on a trickle charge all winter, not placing it on cement, etc. but my experience has been good leaving it on the bike all winter and simply hitting the starter in the spring.

So is it STRONGLY suggested the battery be babied over the winter (for some special reason connected to the quirks of a HD motorcycle) or is it just "the company line?" What's YOUR experience been?

BTW my bike is in a non-heated garage, covered and the alarm system is still on.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:57 AM
man4mopar
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

When the battery is hooked up it can drain the battery. In the Antarctic and for my own vehicles I will at least disconnect the battery while parked for a long period of time. Generally with my bikes I remove battery and keep in my basement on wood in case they decide to leak. My 06 WG that I bought 9/05 is still on OE battery. I do not use a battery tender.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:13 AM
FatBobRay
Tourer

Originally Posted by man4mopar
When the battery is hooked up it can drain the battery. In the Antarctic and for my own vehicles I will at least disconnect the battery while parked for a long period of time. Generally with my bikes I remove battery and keep in my basement on wood in case they decide to leak. My 06 WG that I bought 9/05 is still on OE battery. I do not use a battery tender.

So you simply disconnect the battery and keep it from freezing. Thanks for the advice!

Old 12-08-2008, 04:52 AM
RudeDog
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always run Odyssey gel batteries in my bikes and I always left them connected to the bike and unattended through the Wisconsin winter months. The batteries start out around 12.7 volts and by the time the winter is over they are generally right around 12.5 volts.

I recently purchased a Honda and threw a cheap *** battery in it because it's the beater of the stable and I won't be keeping it long enough to justify a gel battery. That battery is in the basement on a wood shelf. I've heard if you leave a battery on concrete it'll drain it out. I'm looking to purchase a battery tender for it and future use.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:26 AM
FatBobRay
Tourer

Originally Posted by RudeDog
I've always run Odyssey gel batteries in my bikes and I always left them connected to the bike and unattended through the Wisconsin winter months. The batteries start out around 12.7 volts and by the time the winter is over they are generally right around 12.5 volts.

I recently purchased a Honda and threw a cheap *** battery in it because it's the beater of the stable and I won't be keeping it long enough to justify a gel battery. That battery is in the basement on a wood shelf. I've heard if you leave a battery on concrete it'll drain it out. I'm looking to purchase a battery tender for it and future use.

I've heard that about concrete too. I may take my battery out ... it depends on the weather. Right now it's 14 degrees and windy ... even in my garage it's too cold to deal with taking off the seat, etc. etc. When it gets above freezing again maybe i'll take the battery in. ........... Hey the worse that will happen if i leave it the way it is is I'll need a battery or a charger come next spring ... right?

Old 12-08-2008, 07:59 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

my bike is in heat and i put a tender on. and wait for a nice day.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:59 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Take it out or leave it hooked to a battery tender in the bike The bike has parasitic amp draw and will run the battery down over storage. My bike is inside heated so I just leave the tender on it never a problem but if you are in unheated space I would pull and store inside, charge it a few times over the winter or hook to tender this will prolong battery life. if you leave on concrete just put a piece of carpet or wood down

Old 12-08-2008, 09:18 AM
SFD_207
Cruiser

I leave mine in, and plugged in to a tender... of course, it doesnt get as cold here, and not for as long as it does there. I haven't had any problems or heard of any issues with storing them thay way.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:27 AM
sonic
Road Captain

I just plug mine in and all is well

Old 12-08-2008, 09:46 AM
Shark46
Cruiser

I am the same way..just plug it in. The alarm system will draw the battery down if just left alone. On the 08 & 09 the factory put a charging plug on the battery, I bought a Battery Tender Jr. from Motorcycle Superstore for $19.99 and it plugs right in to factory pigtail.

Quick Reply: Winter and battery care