Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pump Priming for Dyna Models?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 01:14 PM
evil joker
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pump Priming for Dyna Models?

Hi, does anyone out there know if we need to prime the oil pump on a complete overhaul with new cases. The whole oil system starts out dry and I still have no oil pressure on start up.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:47 PM
mud
muderator
Received 8,809 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Originally Posted by evil joker

Hi, does anyone out there know if we need to prime the oil pump on a complete overhaul with new cases.

The whole oil system starts out dry and I still have no oil pressure on start up.

joker, when I built my 88 to 121,

I disconnected the coil, if I remember correctly,

then cranked the starter about 3 seconds at a time,

until I saw the Oil Pressure gauge show signs of life.

Took 20 or 30 starter cycles before I saw any rise on the gauge.

mud

Old 01-12-2009, 04:23 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Coating the pump parts with something like STP or lithium grease will make it suck faster during assembly so the time delay is very short
Ron.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:52 PM
txtec
Banned

take out the oil pressure sensor and take a oil squirt can fill up the pump.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:57 AM
04fxdwgi
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by txtec
take out the oil pressure sensor and take a oil squirt can fill up the pump.
Don't forget to use assembly lube on all friction surfaces you can get at that need oil (I used 1 pt of stp mixed w/ 1 qt of 30 wt high detergent oil before it was available in a tube). As TXTEC says, also fill everything you can with a squirt gun to help everything along, including the oil filter mount holes and onto the tapets and valve train before you put the pushrod tubes and rocker box covers on. No spark plugs and crank motor in short bursts. It will also help to keep the oil pressure sensor removed and a hose in it's place, to a catch can, to aid in getting the air out of the system quickly. Quit cranking when you see solid oil coming out of the hose, reconnect sensor and move on to getting the pressure built.

Many years of building engines, from AA Fuel to HiPo marine, and haven't lost one yet to no oil on initial startup, just use common sense and be patient. In the old days, had to make my own oil pump primers before they were commercially available.

The following users liked this post:
Damien 604 - 05fxdc (10-29-2021)
Old 01-13-2009, 10:47 AM
mud
muderator
Received 8,809 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Originally Posted by 04fxdwgi
Don't forget to use assembly lube on all friction surfaces you can get at that need oil
(I used 1 pt of stp mixed w/ 1 qt of 30 wt high detergent oil before it was available in a tube).
As TXTEC says, also fill everything you can with a squirt gun to help everything along,
including the oil filter mount holes and onto the tapets and valve train
before you put the pushrod tubes and rocker box covers on.
No spark plugs and crank motor in short bursts.
It will also help to keep the oil pressure sensor removed and a hose in it's place,
to a catch can, to aid in getting the air out of the system quickly.
Quit cranking when you see solid oil coming out of the hose,
reconnect sensor and move on to getting the pressure built.

Many years of building engines, from AA Fuel to HiPo marine,
and haven't lost one yet to no oil on initial startup,
just use common sense and be patient.
In the old days, had to make my own oil pump primers before they were commercially available.

Great info 04........

mud

The following users liked this post:
Damien 604 - 05fxdc (10-29-2021)
Old 01-13-2009, 11:06 AM
evil joker
Novice

Awsome to everyone on this thread. I am going to do it again.

Thanks for your information. I am going to start over from the cam plate and oil pump. I am going to remove them both and fill them with STP and cote the other parts with some assembly lube for more protection and make sure that the oil pump layers are assembled correctly in order. Then I am goint to fill the lines and passages with oil, the filter is already full, and run the engine with no lifters or push rods with the spark plugs out. If I don't get any pressure from the gauge I am probably going to take it to someone.

I did get 5 pounds for a minute and the engine quieted down but then there was a drop again and a clanking sound from a tappet or rocker arm and I shut it down. I am hoping that the above procedure will get it right or I am giving up and having someone else look it over. It seems like it should be easier than it is.

Have a great day and thank you for your great information.

Mike

Old 01-14-2009, 03:49 AM
04fxdwgi
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by evil joker
Awsome to everyone on this thread. I am going to do it again.

Thanks for your information. I am going to start over from the cam plate and oil pump. I am going to remove them both and fill them with STP and cote the other parts with some assembly lube for more protection and make sure that the oil pump layers are assembled correctly in order. Then I am goint to fill the lines and passages with oil, the filter is already full, and run the engine with no lifters or push rods with the spark plugs out. If I don't get any pressure from the gauge I am probably going to take it to someone.

I did get 5 pounds for a minute and the engine quieted down but then there was a drop again and a clanking sound from a tappet or rocker arm and I shut it down. I am hoping that the above procedure will get it right or I am giving up and having someone else look it over. It seems like it should be easier than it is.

Have a great day and thank you for your great information.

Mike
Sorry to hear about the loss of pressure. Usually when you have a sudden drop like that, you tossed a lifter out of the bore and the oil passage to it becomes a wide open dump out for the oil to escape. Good luck in finding the problem and let us know how you make out.

Bill