Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 IPB Replacement ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 05:48 PM
misterrick
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 IPB Replacement ?'s

Well I have just about 10k on my 06 Dyna and I thought I would go ahead and replace the IPB. I haven't heard anything coming from it but figured I would do it while it was already down changing the oil, brakes and tires. I ordered the service manual for it today. From those that have already done it... I am an auto mechanic so I have most everything tool wise but is there any special tools I'm gonna need or is there any suggestions before I get started. Is there anything else in there I should be replacing at the same time? I'm hoping to pick up the parts this weekend as long as they have them in stock. I would like to go ahead and replace the Inner and Outter covers with chrome ones and put on some forward controls while I'm at it but depends on what money allows. Thanks for any info you guys can provide.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:49 PM
wide06glide
Advanced

I'd give SERIOUS thought to a preemptive stator change. Like the old commercial, "You can pay me now, or ...." Search on "stator" if you don't already know.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:16 PM
chad peterson
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wide06glide
I'd give SERIOUS thought to a preemptive stator change. Like the old commercial, "You can pay me now, or ...." Search on "stator" if you don't already know.
Something to consider, when I checked mine 2 of the little bolts backed out! I put the 07 welded set up in.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:05 PM
misterrick
Cruiser

I heard that the stators were going out also. Is it just the bolts backing out that are causing the failure? If so, is the 07 set up the best way to go or has anyone figured out a way to keep them in. Ive read a few of the posts that say loctite doesnt work, and I sure would like to try to take care of everything in one hit. That way I dont have to worry this year while im out and about.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:12 PM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm still waiting for IPB and stator failure. I had my primary apart last summer to fix a shaft seal leak and the the IPB looked fine and all of the stator bolts were tight. So, I olnly replaced the leaky seal. Hope I don't have to take it apart this summer.

As far as tools... you'll need a breaker bar or impact wrench. A primary locking tool , which is just a 1/4" x 1" x 7" piece of bar stock. A bearing/race puller and an arbor press.