Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confused with the fork lock

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 08:35 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickpisp
Wiggle the handlebars as you turn the key, mine was the same way.
+1 that all it usually takes

Old 01-26-2009, 08:42 AM
PoCoBob
Road Master
Received 368 Likes on 145 Posts

If you are having a lot of trouble with it it probably means the pin is not lining up with the hole. This will happen if you set the lock when the bars are not all the way to the left and then move the bars. The lower triple tree will hit the pin and move the whole lock cylinder a little. That will knock the pin and hole out of alignment.

To fix it, just take a small screwdriver underneath the lock cylinder and lightly pry on the pin shaft. It will move fairly easily. Once you get it to line up properly with the hole again just be careful to not lock it without moving the bars all the way to the left first.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:09 AM
champsruss
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As the other people said, just wiggle the handlebars as you are attempting to turn the key all the way counter-clockwise. I didn't lock my handlebars for a week because I thought it was a factory problem. Everyone is allowed one silly goof up so join the club..........

Old 01-26-2009, 11:57 AM
damnhippie
Advanced

Just one?

Old 01-26-2009, 09:16 PM
harley_jeff
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

My fork lock didn't work from day one, well maybe day 5. I believe there was a service bulletin that came out for the '07 Dynas, requiring a dealer adjustment of the mechanism.

Anyway, took it back to the dealer and it has worked fine since, although I question its effectiviness in preventing theft.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:24 PM
Georgia Rider
Cruiser

My 06 is on its 3rd fork lock. The first one was replaced during the warranty period. Had to put another one in recently. Cost me a little over $100 for parts.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:28 PM
Sumpnut
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Now you gone through all the trouble of telling the guy how to lock it up..someone better explain how to unlock it lol

Old 01-27-2009, 06:25 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an '08. And have the same problem. It's MADDENING!! Everything everyone has said here is true, and every time I have had to unlock my fork lock it takes forever. Of course I haven't had my bike long, and it's asleep for the winter - but the other day I went out into the garage because I needed to sit on my bike to tryou out new boots and wanted to unlock the forks. I FINALLY got it unlocked. Hubby said it will probably just take time to get used to it. But to me, it just should NOT be so difficult.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:39 PM
Sumpnut
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I actually have never even bothered with it,use a disc lock if I leave it anywhere and by the sounds of it a lot less hassle,if it's left in town it's chained to a lamp post too.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:41 PM
user45
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Nickpisp
Wiggle the handlebars as you turn the key, mine was the same way.
2008 Street Bob, same deal here. Real PITA to get the forks turned to just the right spot to get the lock to work and the key out.

Quick Reply: Confused with the fork lock