Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice needed on rear brake bleed

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 12:04 AM
ggibson
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Advice needed on rear brake bleed

Just removed all OEM rear brake setup and installed new lines and master cylinder on my Streetbob(up front on forwards), tried to bleed but am getting no pressure at all. At first I pumped and cracked the valve and got a little fluid but most sucked back in as I was doing it myself and let go of the pedal too early. Anyway nothing seems to be happening now, I can pump the pedal all day but no pressure build up. I am supposed to have the lid off the master cylinder arn't I ??. Anyone know what I might be doing wrong.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:17 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Hah ... Gibby you again! [J/K]

Did you do a search on the subject? I think there are some threads that walk you through it ....

You close the system up (i.e., put the top on the master cylinder reservoir). Then open the bleed valve on the caliper (put your collector tube on the valve to collect any discharge). Depress the brake pedal to force the air out of the valve. With the brake still depressed, tighten the bleed valve to close the system. Release the brake pedal and pump it a couple of times. Open the reservoir and add fluid if necessary.

Repeat the process as needed. A couple two or three times should be enough depending on how much air is in your line. If there are problems, check all your connections to ensure they're torqued down and holding airtight.

Once I followed that procedure, my brakes were solid and have been great for about 10,000 miles.

R/
Priest

Old 02-07-2009, 12:41 AM
ngoti8tor
Outstanding HDF Member

If you want to make it easy for yourself, get a pair of Speed Bleeders for your bike. http://www.speedbleeder.com/

Old 02-07-2009, 02:37 AM
ggibson
Cruiser
Default rear brake

Thanks guys, I was going to PM you Preisty but I thought I'd hassled you enough, but I have done what you said already ie lid secured ect and I cant get any pressure at all, I checked all connections and everything is tight, at a loss. I wonder if it could be a faulty master ??

Old 02-07-2009, 04:00 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The easiest way I have found to do it is to use a 30.00 vacuum pump. I got one from a local auto parts chain. Makes it a one man job and take less than five minutes.

Once you pressure up the pump, hook the clear hose to your bleeder, crack the bleeder. The pump pulls fluid through the line until all air is gone. Tighten bleeder and you're good to go.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:22 AM
dynasty
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brakes

Sounds like a problem with the Master Cylinder - seals perhaps. loosen the line at master, pump to see if you get fluid there. if not the problem is the master.

good luck with it

Old 02-07-2009, 10:32 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by jmpancoast
The easiest way I have found to do it is to use a 30.00 vacuum pump. I got one from a local auto parts chain. Makes it a one man job and take less than five minutes.

Once you pressure up the pump, hook the clear hose to your bleeder, crack the bleeder. The pump pulls fluid through the line until all air is gone. Tighten bleeder and you're good to go.

X2 on the vaccum pump. I have one called might-vac or some such thing, it's a little hand vacuum pump. Fill up your master cylinder (I don't think you need to put the cover on, 'cause you're going to need to top it off.... I didn't when I did mine anyway).
Install the line from the pump to your bleeder, crack the bleeder open and pump away till you get fluid out with no bubbles (monitor your master cylinder fluid level) -close bleeder. At that point, top off the master cylinder, and do the standard "press pedal - crack bleeder open, close bleeder, release pedal" routine a few times to build your pressure.

Last edited by archergodwin; 02-07-2009 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:05 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

vacume pump you will be done in 15 min... if not you will be there all day

Old 02-07-2009, 12:00 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ngoti8tor
If you want to make it easy for yourself, get a pair of Speed Bleeders for your bike. http://www.speedbleeder.com/
+1 I have them and they work great.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:25 PM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the speed bleeders. I just did mine last night. About 7 minutes and I was done.

Quick Reply: Advice needed on rear brake bleed