Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"tinging" noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 09:19 PM
Ky Windage
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, I got the same exact thing happening with mine. I describe my noise as more of a "tink" sound. Sounds similar to the sound exhaust pipes make when cooling but much bolder... very audible.

Only happens when I romp on it. If you take off easy or normal, no sound... works fine, but give the throttle a good half a twist, tink.. tink........ tink.
Doesn't matter if I'm going 30 or 50 and romp it. When I say "romp", I mean just hitting the gas like you would to normally pass someone.

Mine also sounds like it's coming from the left side. I too was thinking primary.
I'm guessing it started around 6000 miles. I'm just over 8000 now.

Aready had a lifter going out around 6000 miles. They replaced the both of em.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:40 PM
50cal
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Ky Windage, that's the exact same situation I'm in when I get that noise. Did the noise continue after the lifter replacement?

Old 02-08-2009, 10:15 PM
Ky Windage
Cruiser

Yes. The lifter noise was quite obvious. Sounded like a ballpeen hammer rapping on the engine case.

I was at the dealer back in sept and had the mechanic take it for a spin to see what he thought.
He came back and said it sounded like it was in the front wheel.
I'm thinking, Huh? No way it was coming from the front wheel. Of course he had a fullface helmet and wouldn't check ride without it due to insurance reasons.
He basically told me not to worry about it. However, since then and the time I've put it up for winter, it's gotten a little worse. No louder, but seems to happen a little "easier" with more tinks.

When I can find the time and the weather permits, I'm going to have them check it again... especially since it's still under warranty.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:19 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ky Windage
... Doesn't matter if I'm going 30 or 50 and romp it...
Does it happen at 0? Cold engine too?

Old 02-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Ky Windage
Cruiser

0? Well, I don't recall actually checking from dead stop. Also don't ride it cold. I always give it some time to warm up. Never beat the snot out of it either, but I also don't baby it.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:28 PM
chad peterson
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the same tink sound when I crack the throttle real hard at idle cruisin or whenever, allways one tink from primary & stops, it aint detonatioin. I've had my primary completely apart a few times & found no rubbing or tap marks on anything. Only thing I came up with is that when I changed my engine sprocket to a 30T it eliminated the compensator so it's direct now, figured it was a strain sound. Now I'm not so sure if you guys have the same noise?

Old 02-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Ky Windage
Cruiser

Chad, I've never noticed it at idle, seems to be only when the motor is pulling.
Does have a bit of "strain" sound to it.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:47 PM
chad peterson
Road Master

Ya, I don't know man. Like I said though, I've had it apart a few times & found nothing. I just finally stopped worrying about. If it aint broke, don't fix it! Lol

Old 02-08-2009, 10:57 PM
sacdog51
Advanced

The infamous Ting.... All the guys I ride with have experienced this. When you "crank" on it, you get the sound. Crank some more and it sounds like rocks are hitting your crank case. Don't worry about it. If you would like, put a phaze 1 and some pipes on it and the sound will go away.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:02 PM
chad peterson
Road Master

Originally Posted by sacdog51
The infamous Ting.... All the guys I ride with have experienced this. When you "crank" on it, you get the sound. Crank some more and it sounds like rocks are hitting your crank case. Don't worry about it. If you would like, put a phaze 1 and some pipes on it and the sound will go away.
Ya, I'm a little beyond a phase 1 & a pipe, but besides the point. Your in Sac, I'm in Elk Grove right next to your a**!

Quick Reply: "tinging" noise