Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 11:40 PM
tonyva
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear suspension question

I have a 06 Wide Glide and wanted to know what the 4 settings are for the rear suspension and when best to adjust?

Thanks

Old 02-16-2009, 05:21 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyva
I have a 06 Wide Glide and wanted to know what the 4 settings are for the rear suspension and when best to adjust?

Thanks
Tony, not sure I am reading your post correctly, but I'll take a stab at it.

If you are speaking of the settings on the rear shocks, the adjustments are dependant on the needs and preferences of the rider. Typically the larger the rider, the stiffer the rear shocks need to be. If you ride two-up, you may wish to stiffen up the rear shocks when carrying your passenger. Lastly, the ride quality changes as you stiffen or loosen up the shocks.

If you add some details as to your situation, someone may be able to offer you better infomation here.

Welcome to the forum.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:52 AM
Sumpnut
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess he wants to know what tool to use and which way you turn them to soften/harden the ride...me too lol(SB owner)

Old 02-16-2009, 06:20 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member

On the lower portion of the shock, there is a cam. Turning the upper portion of the shock body to the left will make shock stiffer. Turning it to the right, softer.

Here is the wrench designed for shock adjustment. They are available at the dealer for less than $15.00. They can be found cheaper on the web.

Someone with a good grip may be able to rotate the shock body by hand for adjusting.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:42 AM
ssls6
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Almost any shock wrench will work. I use an old bmw airhead wrench but my old honda wrench also works. I weigh 250# and ride at a setting of 5 (full preload).

Last edited by ssls6; 02-16-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:11 PM
tonyva
4th Gear

Yes thats correct jmpancoast the rear shocks, the settings are 1 through to 5, would 1 be a hard ride where 5 would be a soft ride and maybe used for 2 up?

Tony

Originally Posted by ssls6
Almost any stock wrench will work. I use an old bmw airhead wrench but my old honda wrench also works. I weigh 250# and ride at a setting of 5 (full preload).

Last edited by tonyva; 02-16-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:47 PM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by tonyva
Yes thats correct jmpancoast the rear shocks, the settings are 1 through to 5, would 1 be a hard ride where 5 would be a soft ride and maybe used for 2 up?

Tony
The higher the number, the stiffer the ride.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:49 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior

A Sears strap wrench is all that is needed to adjust the preload on the rear shocks. JMPANCOAST is correct - the higher the number the stiffer the ride. Turn either side clockwise to make the ride stiffer. Turn clockwise to stiffen the ride and counterclockwise to soften the ride. When adjusting your shocks, they will audibly click when you reach the next highest or lowest level. If you are unsure what level you are at, or that your right shock setting may be different from your left, there is a failsafe way to make sure. Loosen or turn counterclockwise (anti-clockwise for Brits) each shock untill you can not physically turn them anymore. When this is accomplished, both sides will be at level one. Now that both sides are at setting 1, turn each side clockwise until you hear a click and that will be level 2 and so on untill they are both at the level you desire.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:55 PM
Handycam
Tourer

does setting it softer lower the bike at all? My bike was set up for 2 up, but I never carry a passenger. i would prefer a little more flat-footedness.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:00 PM
ssls6
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Handycam
does setting it softer lower the bike at all? My bike was set up for 2 up, but I never carry a passenger. i would prefer a little more flat-footedness.
If you weigh 150# or less, go for it. If not, you'll just bottom out the shock on bumps which isn't good.

Quick Reply: rear suspension question