Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damn throttle sticks!!!! F'ing grips...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 09:45 PM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Damn throttle sticks!!!! F'ing grips...

Ever since I put on the Harley nostalgic grips, I've been having problems with my grip sticking when tightening down the torx screws on the switch housing. I have pulled out the grip as far as I could and tightened down the screws, and then it would fine for a bit. But lately, its been really humid, or cold, and the throttle would stick completely in the mornings. I took it apart to lube the cables, and now I can't get them FU**ING THROTTLE TO ROLL SMOOTHLY!!! And to top things off, I lost one of the torx screws, so now I have to hope and pray Harley has one of these damn screws in stock so I can get one. Apparently these screws like to just amazingly disappear when dropped. When I had my Kuryakyn grips, I NEVER had this problem. Now that I have these nostalgic grips, I've had NOTHING but problems with it. What the hell?!?!?!?!?!

Ok, sorry.. just had to vent for a bit. I just think I bought a bad set of grips, or something................

Old 03-02-2009, 09:51 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Wd 40 inside the throttle sleeve.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:54 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

wd 40 will disolve... use "Gel Lube" made by Valco rocks! comes out liquid and turns to gell is the SHIZ for cables and crap as well... i use marine greace on my throttle before i instll them but on bikes that i dont pull that, a shot of this goes a LONG way

Old 03-02-2009, 09:55 PM
devils haircut
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AdrianVall
Ever since I put on the Harley nostalgic grips, I've been having problems with my grip sticking when tightening down the torx screws on the switch housing. I have pulled out the grip as far as I could and tightened down the screws, and then it would fine for a bit. But lately, its been really humid, or cold, and the throttle would stick completely in the mornings. I took it apart to lube the cables, and now I can't get them FU**ING THROTTLE TO ROLL SMOOTHLY!!! And to top things off, I lost one of the torx screws, so now I have to hope and pray Harley has one of these damn screws in stock so I can get one. Apparently these screws like to just amazingly disappear when dropped. When I had my Kuryakyn grips, I NEVER had this problem. Now that I have these nostalgic grips, I've had NOTHING but problems with it. What the hell?!?!?!?!?!

Ok, sorry.. just had to vent for a bit. I just think I bought a bad set of grips, or something................
I believe that i was the first one here to recomend the nostalgic grips for your bike...uh, sorry.

Lowes will have a screw for your housing. Check the housing and grip for burs of other obvious points of friction/binding. Good luck.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:34 PM
rayfinseats
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought mine from HD I think. Never had any problems. Maybe you have some cheap foreign knockoffs? I usually put a light coat of white grease on the right side handlebar. Are they like these?

Last edited by rayfinseats; 03-03-2009 at 12:28 AM.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:10 PM
Grind
Road Master

Just a dumb thought: are you sure the throttle stop screw isn't tight? Sometimes the biggest headache is caused by the simplest overlook.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:50 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Another thought...go to true value and see if you can find some black allen screws to replace the torx screws.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:11 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

another thought... just rock it wide open all the time! sack up and ride like a man! ha ha ha ha

Old 03-03-2009, 03:11 AM
VenturaChop
Road Master

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
Another thought...go to true value and see if you can find some black allen screws to replace the torx screws.
why would u recomend that man?? torx are good, as long as u use the right one. ive never had any problems with any torx on my bike.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:27 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would pull the throttle grip off and start from scratch. Make sure your friction plate is seated correctly. Double check to make sure cables are riding properly in the channels.

I have done grips before where the throttle side would stick. Pulled it back off and reinstalled. Worked fine the second time and I didn't have a clue what went differently.

Quick Reply: Damn throttle sticks!!!! F'ing grips...