Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

still shaking after new motor mount

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 03:08 PM
zio
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default still shaking after new motor mount

Hey guys I own a 1998 wide glide. I knew that my motor mount was bad and needed to be replaced. I took it out for a ride this winter and it began to shake badly and figured that I completely broke the front motor mount. So today I replaced the front mount and changed the oil. I started the bike up and noticed that the engine was still shaking a lot more than it used to. While riding the bike at low RPM it seems to shake more than at higher RPM. The rear engine mount seems to be fine and the front of the engine seems to be shaking more. Also the bike seems to run fine. Does anyone have any ideas?

thanks
Tom

Old 03-05-2009, 03:11 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Could be bad gas from sitting all winter.......?

Old 03-05-2009, 03:23 PM
zio
3rd Gear

The engine seems to run fine, no misses, but just shakes a lot. Also the shaking started all of a sudden last time I had it out.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:05 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Motor Mount

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...il-cooler.html
Read the last page of this thread....Yea, I know it's an oil cooler thread but the last page has a motor mount solution you might want to try. Good Luck.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:14 PM
bosken
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About the mount, I think whoever said that when adjusting the mounts that the bike should be upright and with rider weight on it because it is attached to the rear suspension hit right on it. I took my WG to the dealer because of excess vibration after the 1000mi service, they over tightened the mounts I believe. Anyway I got the normal runaround about "that's the way it is suppose to be", I stood my ground and they called their HD service rep. He faxed them "new" instructions for adjusting the mounts. Basically it was to strap the bike down to the lift, maybe this was to simulate the riders weight, then loosen the mounts and run the motor for a few minutes this allowed the motor to "center" itself. Then turn it off and torque the mount bolts. This worked great the bike is smoother than ever and smoother than others I've ridden. Also, there were no spacers used.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:16 PM
imjdoggie
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I would first wait till warmer weather arrives to go crazy replacing things. I have an 09 Bob and it shakes and feels waaaayyyy different when it is cold out, granted I only had it out 3 or 4 times this winter but it felt noticibly different than when it was warmer and running almost every day. I hope you figure it out without too much of a hassle the guys on here know their stuff so Im sure someone will chime in with some info...........

Last edited by imjdoggie; 03-05-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:07 PM
hufdvr
Advanced

Also make sure the engine is aligned in the frame by getting the bike up on a lift and making sure it is level. Use a small carpenters level on the front and rear discs to check this.

Mine shook like hell until I found my rear wheel was off-set due to my stabilizer link being mis-adjusted. Once the rear wheel was verticle in the frame (by adjusting the stabilizer link) the vibes and shakes went away.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:54 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Hmm...the bike was shaking while being ridden during winter? My guess is it's cold. It was shivering.

Seriously though...is the motor square in the frame?

Old 03-06-2009, 12:35 PM
GREENOHAWK69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 556 Likes on 330 Posts

I just replaced BOTH motor mounts on my '97 Wide Glide and that rectified the problem. First replaced the front one and still had problems...then had to do the rear. Maybe you need to check and re-adjust everything. Overtightening on something?

Old 03-06-2009, 02:47 PM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Like HUFDR said check engine alignment and other mounts

Quick Reply: still shaking after new motor mount