Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I go back to mid controls?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 10:32 AM
Handycam
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I go back to mid controls?

I recently got the 07 SB and it had forward controls on it when I bought it. I have rode it for only a few hundred miles before I slipped on sand last week and sent the bike to the shop (and sprained my ankle something fierce).

I used to have a sporty with mid controls, which I put 7000 miles on before I traded for the Dyna. It certainly feels like I had more control of the Sporty in the curvy roads. I know it's a very different bike as well, but the posture I am sitting in when using the forwards feels a little strange, and it feels less like I can use my body to handle the turns. I am 5'10" and 230lbs.

Since the bike is in the shop being repaired anyway, I am wondering if I should also ask them to put mids back on it. Any advice? Would the mids allow the Dyna to handle a little more like the Sporty?

Old 03-22-2009, 10:53 AM
gregbenner
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I suspect you will get a lot of opinions on this. Personally, I dislike fwd controls for the reasons you mention. I had a 99 FXD to which i changed to fwd controls several years ago. Sort of quit riding it after that, finally sold it (resale was better then, and just couldn't bring myself to pay to undo something and admit my mistake).

However, I ride the Dyna mostly in the mountains where control might be more important.

Maybe you could test ride an FXD at a dealer, just to feel the difference?

Old 03-22-2009, 10:54 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I prefer mids for the same reason...but that is just me.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:56 AM
Donny
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Same here. I prefer mids, but have the adjustable highway pegs if I want to stretch out.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:57 AM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Mids definately give you a feeling of more control. You are in a better position to move yourself and the bike when carving the corners. When your forwards were installed did they remove the shift lever from the primary? If not you can put them back on real easily. It's just a matter of a few bolts and changing the shift and brake rods. If you decide to go that way and don't have the original parts let us know, there are plenty of used ones out there that can be had on the cheap.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:57 AM
davidc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a Sportster with foward controls and I liked it for that bike. On my Dyna I have the stock mid controls and added highway pegs where the foward controls would go. I like it because I have 2 options for putting my feet which is nice on long rides. I feel the Dyna I have now is better for riding on twisty roads than my Sporty did, the roads in this area suck and the Sporty liked to jump sideways when you hit a bump when cornering, the dyna due to wheel base or suspention seams to corner better. I also like the mid controls for when I am riding hard. Here I a picture of what I have on mine its the best pic I could find right now

Attached Thumbnails Should I go back to mid controls?-picture-076.jpg  
Old 03-22-2009, 11:00 AM
wafu321
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I've had both and it will be a long time before I go back to a bike with forward controls.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:04 AM
FXDF103
Advanced

Mids are better for sure. Even though my bike has fwd controls...

Old 03-22-2009, 11:25 AM
JohnAE
Cruiser

My Sportster Custom had fwd controls and I didn't like them. Great for driving around town when you had to put your feet down all the time but out on the road I always had to try to keep my feet on the pegs in the wind. Also didn't like the way in handled. Would not have traded for a Dyna with fwd controls. My FXDC has mid-controls and I added forward pegs for highway use. Much better for me. As memtioned, if you don't like them you can probably revert to mid controls purchased from someone on this forum that changed to fwd controls.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:28 AM
rayfinseats
Road Captain

I would suggest going to the dealer and try one with mid controls first and see how you like the feel.

Quick Reply: Should I go back to mid controls?