Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My dealer had franchise pulled

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 01:56 PM
RED_5
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by HOGRIDA_06
That sounds like Arkport Harley. I've never been but it's not that far from me.
Nope, Arkport sounds like a nice multi-bike dealer but its far from Up-State. I'm talking about North End in Plattsburgh, NY.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:57 PM
icecaps
Reading More Posting Less
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
H.D. doesn't want metric bikes sold in the same building as Harley's. And to be honest, I don't blame them. We have a dealer about 40 miles away from me that sells other brands as well, Harley gave them an ultimatum, move one to another location, quit selling one or lose your franchise. So they either have to find another place to sell the Harley's or metrics, or downsize. Plain and simple.
If you have a superior product, why wouldn't you want the competition sitting next to it?

Old 04-02-2009, 02:07 PM
devils haircut
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by icecaps
If you have a superior product, why wouldn't you want the competition sitting next to it?
+1
Harley's brakes, cooling system, handling, and top speed are far superior to any japanese bike, so Harley shouldn't be afraid of the competition sitting so close.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:18 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,743 Likes on 1,137 Posts

Well, I used to be a franchise owner of an international "brand" of product. Won't say which one, but not HD.

They (franchisers) have put long term dealers (franchise owners) out of business for years and this is not uncommon practice for franchisers. The loop holes and "fine print" is built into their "game."

Generally speaking and basically, they (franchisers) want to get rid of any franchisee who has figured out how to make money without the franchiser getting any (or most) of it. And that's the truth, regardless of the products or type of business.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:44 PM
lambert
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sign of the times

Over here in the UK a lot of people buy mailorder from HD Jersey. Good to deal with but I have had some parts on order for a while. When I telephoned I was told that they had just had a large delivery of parts from HD. They gave me the impression that their order from HD had been delayed by 'credit checks'!

Old 04-02-2009, 06:31 PM
Drat
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry I did not get back on this. Yes the dealer is Sovie's. He has sold Harleys for 30 years. For those of you who visited and noted that he did not have much in there, he has always run the shop the old fashioned way, not the market mall structure that Harley is now pushing. He also sells Honda and other products, but has always worked on any model that a customer brings in. I have dealt with him for more than 30 years, before he had Harley, and have always had good service, honest work, good prices, and have had the pleasure of dealing with the owner. Other places I have visited have been changing over to the new approach and seem have only one or two people who know what they are selling and what they are doing. I have not been everywhere and I do note when people tell about good dealerships and services. The problem up here is that the population does not support multiple dealerships. The geographic territories are wider and spread farther apart. Seems to be that way for any dealership. Its a numbers game and marketing dictates centering in population areas for maximum sales. As for the dealer doing illegal or unsavory practices, I don't think so. I have not pried and do not wish to know all the details at this point. The post was just made to vent and point out that in this economy who knows what will happen.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:19 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

I for one don't have a problem with Harley not wanting metric bikes selling next to thiers. As far as the franchise owners go, who cares, it's thier decision, Harley isn't forcing them to buy only Harley's for resale, if they want to sell the competition, Harley doesn't care, they just won't be selling Harley's along side them. I guess you have to look at it from Harleys point of view, they spend millions plus on advertising, why should they spend so much money to get the consumer into a dealership to have them look at the competitions product? Thats like asking the dealers to become the "Walmart" of dealership, f*ck that, if you want to sell metric, fine. But not along side a Harley.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:30 PM
alcors11
4th Gear

Interesting? are we talking about out buddies south of easthampton or springfield?

Old 04-02-2009, 07:40 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by t150vej

Generally speaking and basically, they (franchisers) want to get rid of any franchisee who has figured out how to make money without the franchiser getting any (or most) of it. And that's the truth, regardless of the products or type of business.
+1 I owned a franchise business for 10 years as well. That is the usual reason.

OR the guy just stopped paying royalties altogether.. Otherwise they would have no reason to shut him down.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:59 PM
greenstreetbob
Road Master

The MoCo probably found out the dealership sold a bike under MSRP.

Quick Reply: My dealer had franchise pulled