Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sputhe will sell front stabilizer only...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 07:54 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sputhe will sell front stabilizer only...

I spoke with Jeff at Sputhe yesterday and asked if they would sell just the front stabilizer and he said sure. So I ordered one today. $180 plus shipping.

After having actually seen the True Track "in the flesh," the Sputhe appears to be a more integrated design as far as not looking out of place on the front of the bike. In other words, it looks like it belongs there. It reminds me of the the front stabilizer on the FXR*.

When I tried the shimming of the front stabilizer as suggested in this thread, the handling on my bike went straight down the toilet. I removed the shims this afternoon and went for a 50 miles ride and the handling is back to normal. Shimming allowed the front isolator to move more laterally and it showed me how the handling on a modern Dyna can suffer as the engine mounts age and lose their lateral rigidity. I think this may be why some people who install a True Track see such a drastic improvement in handling, while other may not. The condition of the isolators may be a factor.

While I still don't feel I need the Sputhe or the True Track, I'm going ahead and put the front stabilizer on to prevent the degradation in handling I suspect will happen over time as the isolators age.

*A lot has been said about Eric Buell's original rubber mount patent and that it requires three stabilizers. But let's not forget that Buell was the designer in charge of the FXR and that bike always had two stabilizers, one at the top and one at the front of the engine. I'm quite sure if Buell had felt a rear stabilizer was necessary, he would have designed the FXR frame to have one. Adding a front stabilizer to the Dyna frame essentially gives you the same set up as the FXR, a bike that is often touted as being the best handling Harley of all time.

Last edited by Gary7; 04-15-2009 at 09:08 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-15-2009, 08:26 PM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Interesting. Let us know how ya like the improvement (if any..)

Old 04-15-2009, 09:16 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I would think the rear one would be the better of the two. I can feel my rear tire wallow a little sometimes when I push through an uphill left turn at speed.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:20 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

No offense, but do whatever helps you justify giving up the TrueTrack. Two links will be better than one, and three links would be better than two!

I think someone else had mentioned that they only installed the front TT and the ride felt better, and someone else posted the same after installing only the rear.

If you don't ride all that hard you will probably be fine with adding just the one more.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:25 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
I would think the rear one would be the better of the two. I can feel my rear tire wallow a little sometimes when I push through an uphill left turn at speed.
Yeah, but when you think about what's happening that causes the rear wheel to go out of alignment with the front (which is what you're feeling) in that turn, you recognize that the front isolator is the weak link that's mostly responsible. That's why on the FXR Eric Buell specified a top and front stabilizer, not a top and rear stabilizer.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:28 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mtnlvr
No offense, but do whatever helps you justify giving up the TrueTrack.
Well, to be honest, if I'd done the shimming and seen just how bad the handling can get if the front isolator gets soft, I would not have sold the True Track. Live and learn, so they say.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:38 PM
benwiggin2
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary7
I'm quite sure if Buell had felt a rear stabilizer was necessary, he would have designed the FXR frame to have one.
Go out and look at where your dyna swingarm mounts. You'll see it mounts to the transmission-scary

Originally Posted by Gary7
Adding a front stabilizer to the Dyna frame essentially gives you the same set up as the FXR, a bike that is often touted as being the best handling Harley of all time.
Wrong!! The fxr doesn't have a rear stabilizer because the fxr's swingarm mounts traditionally to the frame (like every other bike on the planet), hence, no need for a rear stabilzer. So, just adding a front stabilizer to your dyna is nowhere near the set up of the fxr.

Last edited by benwiggin2; 04-15-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:44 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by benwiggin2
Wrong!! The fxr doesn't have a rear stabilizer because the fxr's swingarm mounts traditionally to the frame (like every other bike on the planet), hence, no need for a rear stabilzer.
Then why does True Track make a rear stabilizer for the FXR?

Also, on the FXR that was at my indy today when I stopped by there looked like the rear swingarm mounted to the transmission.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:48 PM
Hickey
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I'm not the only one who didn't notice an improvement with the TT? all I noticed was less vibes at idle, didn't seem to help out handling wise. I'm hoping I'll feel the effects at higher speed sweepers, but didn't notice a thing around town.

I hope the sputhe works out for ya!

Old 04-15-2009, 11:52 PM
benwiggin2
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hickey
I'm hoping I'll feel the effects at higher speed sweepers,
You will.

Quick Reply: Sputhe will sell front stabilizer only...