Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Secondary drive belt tension

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 06:42 AM
guzzishop
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Secondary drive belt tension

The drive belt on my 2009 Street Bob is slightly loose. According to the service manual, it should deflect 1/4" - 5/16" when tested at 10# using the H-D tool. I measured 5/8", so I'm going to adjust it.

My question concerns checking the rear wheel alignment after setting belt tension. The part about using 1/8" wire (welding rod, coat hanger, etc.) with a movable o-ring to verify the tire is aligned in the swingarm is intuitively obvious, but the other procedure is not (at least, to me). How important is the second part of the procedure, given that all I'm doing is loosening the axle nut and adjusting the belt tensioners? As long as I take up the same amount on each nut, then use the wire to verify the tire is aligned in the swingarm, I'd think that should be adequate.

Looking forward to hearing from you experienced wrenches out there. Thanks in advance!

Old 04-29-2009, 06:57 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

youre correct... make the same amount of turns on each adjuster and you should be good. i checked mine the last month for the first time... i had about 3/4 inch deflection... im glad i spent the money on that tool to check the belt tension!

Old 05-01-2009, 02:04 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

You can check wheel alignment several ways. You can simply use your eyes, a piece of string, a cheap laser (diy tool), or a straight plank of wood, or strip of metal (they must be straight!).

With the plank or metal, prop it up alongside the bike on blocks, so it is as high up the rear wheel as practical, touching at both front and rear edges of the tread. Turn the front wheel to its best position, taking into account that it may be narrower than the rear. You can move the plank and blocks to the other side to compare results. Alter the adjusters to give the same results both sides.

With practice you can simply look along the bike, or use a length of string or a laser to do the same job as the plank.

If you google 'bike wheel alignment' you will get several articles giving more details.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:33 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

another way i checked my buddys... was to lay a ruler on the rear swingarm. while holding one end tight on the swing arm and the other end close to the rim or tire, roll the wheel and see if the wheel/tire gets any closer or farther away from the one end of the ruler...

Old 05-01-2009, 11:07 AM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you loosen the rear axle nut to do the belt adjustment, how loose is loose? Loosen the nut all the way?