Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Macadam 50 Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 10:54 PM
Lorddaftbiker
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up Michelin Macadam 50 Review

Greetings, fellow Dyna riders. If you're like me, you like to upgrade your bike's stock equipment when it wears out, and you appreciate a tire that sticks to the road and inspires confidence in the twisties. One fine day last summer, my stock rear Dunlop hit a rock and blew out. I wanted to replace it with a stickier tire, and I chose the Michelin Macadam 50 for the rear and its matching front counterpart. It turned out to be a good choice.

I've put over 1700 miles on the new tires and I'm pleased. The Macadams handle and stick to the road very well. At 1700 miles the rear is only beginning to get the flat spot in the middle from cruising the straights, which is where we ride most of the time. The tires also have a center groove that helps channel rain water out of the way. For street tires with decent wear qualities, this set allows me to lean over to boot scraping angles with confidence, which is the most you can ask of tires on a Dyna. They look good, too. Better road adhesion than stock under all conditions, and that was what I was after. If you're looking for new tires, you should know that these are good.

Party On,

Old 05-06-2009, 11:14 PM
OrangeTJ
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Hmmm...already getting squared off at 1700 miles doesn't bode well for long term durability. My ME880's didn't start to show squaring until about 5k miles or so. Of course, the rubber on the Macadams might be softer/stickier. Glad you're happy with them, though.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:41 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I went with the Mac-50 rear and Commander up front. I only have a couple of months on them and I'm happy with them, so far. I don't push the envelope much, but I've had a couple of heel-scrapers, and no heebie-jeebies when I did. I hope they last longer than my stock Dunnies; both were looking anorexic by 10K.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:54 PM
Lorddaftbiker
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Macadam 50 Review

I wouldn't expect the Macadams to last a real long time b/c they're softer than the stock Dunlops. If I get over 10K miles out of them, I'll be happy b/c I'm willing to sacrifice longevity for adhesion. One thing I forgot to mention is that the Madadams are worse than the stock Dunlops on steel bridge decks, but I haven't found any bike tire that inspires confidence on steel bridge decks, either.

Ride with Fury,