Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 01:13 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I went back and forth between a Nighster and different Dynas last year. I didnt want to spend a ton of money since I wasnt sure how much I would ride. I hadnt had a bike in 10 years and with a family wasnt sure how much time I could get away.

In the end I went with the SG since it was just a little higher than the Nightster and was the cheapest Dyna. I figured if I rode alot I could build it into what I wanted vs having to trade the nighster back in. Turns out I ride alot and I am very happy with the SG. I have had alot of fun not only riding but making my base SG into the bike I wanted.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:24 PM
cnydynarider
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll only end up trading the sporty after getting the hang of it. My advice is the superglide, no wait a minute, get the superglide custom. Spend the extra grand and pick up a bunch of chrome, two up ready, laced wheels, and a smokin' tank and console. It will cost you way more than 1k to upgrade fxd to fxdc later. Chrome engine kit alone is $600 plus labor if dealer does it.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:29 PM
JohnAE
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dyna-asa is right if you are comparing the Nightster to the FXD then there is 101 pounds difference and the seat on the FXD is 1.3 inches higher which might make a difference at 5'7". I was comparing the two bikes I had, both customs. The Sportster custom is 87 pounds lighter and the seat is 1.5 inches lower then the Dyna custom. Not significant to me.

I was also going to suggest that you learn how to ride on a much cheaper and lighter used metric but my daughter who is 5"8" and 135 lbs. could ride my 700+lb. Valkyrie with no problems.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:42 PM
cpl215
Tourer

Can't go wrong with a Dyna you can make it any kind of bike you want from a bobber to a bagger.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:57 PM
dynabagger
Advanced

I would say pick what feels the best for you right now. Its a pretty big difference between the riding positions of the nightster and the super glide, the nightster I believe has mini apes and the super glide has buckhorns. Just depends on what your looking for in a bike. Alot of people trade their sportsters in for larger bikes. But other stick with sportsters for years. I love my superglide, wouldn't trade it for anything. It is a base bike and I believe has more room for making it look like I think it should look.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:10 PM
rowan
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

jlister,
which ever fits you best!!!! If you are going to venture out and do any long distance riding
the dyna would probably be more comfortable ecspecially if you are going to be riding two up. The nightster with mini apes and forward controls with heelrests is the bomb, The Super Gulide (Dyna) is an awsome basis for customizing good luck with your search and post what you come up with
Carl

Attached Thumbnails First Bike?-floorboards-003.jpg  
Old 05-08-2009, 07:56 PM
ronny c.
Tourer

i got a nightster 1st, lasted 8 monthes and got the s.b.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Choppernibs
Novice

start small you will drop your bike every one does, just get back up and ride

Old 05-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Jlister
Cruiser

the smarter choice for a beginner seems to be the nightster because its a small light bike. the longest trip ill be taking is probably the beach which is about a half hour away. the thing is is that I don't like how its so small. I know ill want a bigger bike like the SG

Old 05-08-2009, 09:13 PM
Dyna-Asa
Road Captain

Get the SG then, I wouldn't worry to much about the size (at least thats what i keep telling my girlfriend) its not like the SG is a huge bike

-Asa

Quick Reply: First Bike?